DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints on MA2

volition

Reactions
So I want to do the exact same flight path at different times. One at noon one at sunset.

The MA2 is my first drone. So I don’t have any familiarity with 3rd party controller apps and I understand that Litchi & the like has the ability to help do this. I also understand they needed the SDK released to work with the MA2. Am I right in thinking the sdk has been open now for a while.

looking at the Litchi site I can’t see the MA2 listed, anyone know if it’s working yet? Or any good alternatives. Does anyone know what is happening? Or am I completely off track.

wondering how to execute my shots.

I believe were still waiting for the Litchi app! And the like....
Someone with more info will fill us in soon ?

So I want to do the exact same flight path at different times. One at noon one at sunset.

The MA2 is my first drone. So I don’t have any familiarity with 3rd party controller apps and I understand that Litchi & the like has the ability to help do this. I also understand they needed the SDK released to work with the MA2. Am I right in thinking the sdk has been open now for a while.

looking at the Litchi site I can’t see the MA2 listed, anyone know if it’s working yet? Or any good alternatives. Does anyone know what is happening? Or am I completely off track.

Litchi has a beta version that supports the Mavic Air 2 now, but they have yet to update the app to support waypoints on the Mavic Air 2.

Reactions: joeywestside
Litchi (beta) now supports MA2 (see
for an example) but waypoints not yet supported. I'm eager to use and much prefer to the standard DJI apps.

Reactions: srqdrone
Litchi (beta) now supports MA2 (see
for an example) but waypoints not yet supported. I'm eager to use and much prefer to the standard DJI apps.

Right so DJI need to add waypoints into the on-board firmware. Makes sense.

Do you think they will do it? DJI that is

Bummer, In the meantime think the best I can do is.

1. Take off from exact same point. Ascend straight up. To recording height. Slam on full speed ahead & record (no other inputs) hold for 10s stop recording.
2. Repeat at sunset, in theory both shots should be pretty close, wind difference will be the biggest differential.

Match them in post. It’s for a comparison shot it doesn’t need to be 100% identical, but I’d like it close.

Hopefully one day with waypoints it will be more consistent.

Right so DJI need to add waypoints into the on-board firmware. Makes sense.

Do you think they will do it? DJI that is

Seems like they have no plans to do that. Waypoints will be supported on 3rd party apps via a "virtual sticks" method.

Reactions: tribar
Hello Volition:

I don’t know how precise you’d like the positioning to be, but if there are any landmarks you might try getting the drone into position for the first shot, hovering, point the gimbal straight down & record a still image. At the same time, record a screen shot with the new version of the attitude indicator visible along with height above launch point and distance.

When trying to position for the second shot from the same launch point, use the recorded attitude indicator image to get the drone headed in the correct direction and the height above launch point and distance, with the recorded gimbal straignt down image to fine tune positioning.

Another possiblity would be to record a screen image with the map at full screen view when in position the first time. That might be more helpful if the map view was in satellite background - probably depends on what sort of landmarks are around.

Good luck and let us know what technique you end up with!

Howard

Hello Volition:

I don’t know how precise you’d like the positioning to be, but if there are any landmarks you might try getting the drone into position for the first shot, hovering, point the gimbal straight down & record a still image. At the same time, record a screen shot with the new version of the attitude indicator visible along with height above launch point and distance.

When trying to position for the second shot from the same launch point, use the recorded attitude indicator image to get the drone headed in the correct direction and the height above launch point and distance, with the recorded gimbal straignt down image to fine tune positioning.

Another possiblity would be to record a screen image with the map at full screen view when in position the first time. That might be more helpful if the map view was in satellite background - probably depends on what sort of landmarks are aroundw.

Good luck and let us know what technique you end up with!

Howard

Good idea mate! I’ll give that a go!

There is an app that has full support for the MA2, full waypoint support, and it's not in Beta. However it's only on iOS. It's called Mavic Maven and it's about $7, I highly recommend. Hope this helps.
Looks great! I’ve read a few reviews and seems suited to the task. I can’t find if you can save waypoint missions. I just want to confirm I assume it does. Just want to check before I buy.

Reactions: joeywestside
Looks great! I’ve read a few reviews and seems suited to the task. I can’t find if you can save waypoint missions. I just want to confirm I assume it does. Just want to check before I buy.

Yes you can save missions and reuse them.

Reactions: volition
I'm confused about you want. You can save and reply waypoints in hyperlapse - but not in video. What post processing or comparing are you doing that makes video the better comparison?

For preplanned flights that can be repeated I use Dronelink. Dronelink | Automated | DJI | Parrot | 3D Flight Planning | United States

Reactions: Thmoore and manic
Hey guys, it is 26 of March, we getting into April soon.
What is the best and more reliable app i can use for waypoints ( take pics ) with my MA2 ?
Litchi (outdated ) / Maven ( only ios but i can get ipad for this reason) / Dronelink ( is it trusted, do i have to pay sub ? )

Thanks in advance

Hey guys, it is 26 of March, we getting into April soon.
What is the best and more reliable app i can use for waypoints ( take pics ) with my MA2 ?
Litchi (outdated ) / Maven ( only ios but i can get ipad for this reason) / Dronelink ( is it trusted, do i have to pay sub ? )

Thanks in advance
Copterus?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS