DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

We’re not all in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lastrexking

Reactions
Now, I love you folks over the pond. One of my best friends in the world is from California, and I lived in New Hampshire for a while a few years ago. So, this isn’t intended to upset anyone.

Today I’ve seen replies on three completely different threads quoting US/FAA rules and regulations where the OP isn’t even in the US (UK in these instances). In all three posts the OP had either mentioned they were in the UK, or had the UK as their location in their profile.

This forum is made up of people all over the planet. Most people have their location in their profile, or mention where they’re flying.

I'm sure everyone is trying to be helpful, but given the differences in laws, let’s check before we answer? ??

Edited as my original post maybe didn’t read as friendly as I’d like.

Last edited:
Most people have their location in their profile,
I totally agree with your post about being aware before you answer with regulations that do not pertain. However I totally disagree with your comment about most people having location in their profile. So many do not and give scant details in posts so it's a guessing game. So it's a two-sided issue. Some don't read before answering and others don't provide enough details to give a valid answer.

I totally agree with your post about being aware before you answer with regulations that do not pertain. However I totally disagree with your comment about most people having location in their profile. So many do not and give scant details in posts so it's a guessing game. So it's a two-sided issue. Some don't read before answering and others don't provide enough details to give a valid answer.
All three of the posts I’ve seen today have done though, and even if they hadn’t they clearly stated they’re in the UK, or it’s been in the UK section.

It would be great if everyone filled their location in. But, people also have a right to privacy.

Last edited:
And if the location is that important to the subject discussed, possibly the op could point that out in his/her post? Problem solved?

Well, in this one which you replied to they did;

It was in the 'Flying in the UK' forum. The OP has 'UK' in their location in their profile. They mentioned the. Uk Town and Postcode.

But, you still assumed it was in the US in your reply. So, what else could they have done.
OP in that example literally couldn’t have done more.

But, yes posters in some instances need to be clearer. Similarly, people need to stop assuming everyone is in the US.

Cool down man it isn't upsetting anyone but you ;)
I’m not upset ? Hence the smilies in my OP. Just trying to save confusion. I’ve seen a couple of examples of posters not in the US being given FAA laws as advice. Could get messy if they get in bother ??

If you could, point out to me where in this post it says”UK”. I picked up something that made me think Pennsylvania.

Hi guys,
I’d really like to fly legally but I struggle to find the local byelaws.
For example, I live in parish council in the south of Reading: postcode is RG2, but we pay taxes to Workingham.
Who is in charge to define where I can fly, on top of the drone code?
Reading Council?
Wokingham Council?
Local Parish Council?
Local Park owner?
Any County (Berkshire) authority?
And moreover... where should I look for these information? A basic google search?
I’ve been on the Wokingham website search engine and found nothing, but I supposed that’s not enough.

please help me to understand where to fly without feeling guilty every time.

If you could, point out to me where in this post it says”UK”. I picked up something that made me think Pennsylvania.

Hi guys,
For example, I live in parish council in the south of Reading: postcode is RG2, but we pay taxes to Workingham.
Reading Council?
Wokingham Council?
Local Parish Council?
Local Park owner?
And moreover... where should I look for these information? A basic google search?
I’ve been on the Wokingham website search engine and found nothing, but I supposed that’s not enough.

Maybe there is a hint by it being originally posted in the UK section...

It is not a big deal, until someone gets into trouble for following advice meant for a different country.

Hi guys,
Reading Council?
Wokingham Council?
Local Parish Council?
Local Park owner?

I'm not looking for an argument, as I said - trying to stop confusion. But, if it helps for the future - the Thread is in the UK forum, so they don’t need to mention they’re in th UK. Also, OP is in the UK, it’s in his profile to the left of his post. He mentions, Reading, Wokingham, and Berkshire, - all in the UK and a postcode (RG2) - you guys have zip codes.
Hope that helps. ??

I'm from New England. I can just imagine how confusing that may be to some...;)...

I'm from New England. I can just imagine how confusing that may be to some...;)...
Lovely place. Spent a lot of time there (Maine, New Hampshire).

To all the participants.
My apologies for not searching all the corners.

Reactions: Wakamula
Personally, I feel when someone answers with the 'wrong' airspace authority, it is very often a case of the airspace regs as almost identical to those of the host country.

There is almost always the 400' altitude limit, VLOS, and there is some sort of flight near people / urban areas mentioned, though some have different rules for distances etc.
Also, city / council authorities worldwide are seemingly adapting their rules for drones (and others such) to either ban or limit them on lands they oversee.

So when I see someone post about FAA rules, or local city banning flight in a park, it's usually very easy to relate to another country.
I usually look at this and adapt in my mind to CAA (UK / NZ), TC (Canada), CASA (Australia) etc, circumstances.

Seeing aspects of drone hobby from an international perspective here is really a very interesting part of these forums.

People assuming a location, or perhaps not reading the whole thread about something, might be annoying to some in a thread, but I see it as a minor inconvenience, and (like almost all info on the internet) you just sift through, take what you can use, leave the rest.

To all the participants.
My apologies for not searching all the corners.
You don’t need to apologise mate. You were just trying to help ?

Personally, I feel when someone answers with the 'wrong' airspace authority, it is very often a case of the airspace regs as almost identical to those of the host country.

There is almost always the 400' altitude limit, VLOS, and there is some sort of flight near people / urban areas mentioned, though some have different rules for distances etc.
Also, city / council authorities worldwide are seemingly adapting their rules for drones (and others such) to either ban or limit them on lands they oversee.

So when I see someone post about FAA rules, or local city banning flight in a park, it's usually very easy to relate to another country.
I usually look at this and adapt in my mind to CAA (UK / NZ), TC (Canada), CASA (Australia) etc, circumstances.

Seeing aspects of drone hobby from an international perspective here is really a very interesting part of these forums.

People assuming a location, or perhaps not reading the whole thread about something, might be annoying to some in a thread, but I see it as a minor inconvenience, and (like almost all info on the internet) you just sift through, take what you can use, leave the rest.

Appreciate your input. Completely agree that the general laws are similar, but not exactly the same. For example, the crazy drone and flight categories we have from November here in Europe - nothing like them anywhere else in the world. Similarly, down to local laws. Here in the UK, some councils have banned drones in their land, some haven’t. All of our national parks have different rules. I think we need to be careful (hence this post), especially if we look at the EU headache of rules coming in.

Last edited:
Darn Americans, think they run everyting. Lol

Now, I love you folks over the pond. One of my best friends in the world is from California, and I lived in New Hampshire for a while a few years ago. So, this isn’t intended to upset anyone.

Today I’ve seen replies on three completely different threads quoting US/FAA rules and regulations where the OP isn’t even in the US (UK in these instances). In all three posts the OP had either mentioned they were in the UK, or had the UK as their location in their profile.

This forum is made up of people all over the planet. Most people have their location in their profile, or mention where they’re flying.

I'm sure everyone is trying to be helpful, but given the differences in laws, let’s check before we answer? ??

Edited as my original post maybe didn’t read as friendly as I’d like.

Personally I think if the OP is asking for specific regulations then it should be his or her responsibility to let us know where they are looking for regulations for. You can't just come on and say hey whats the rules for flying and not tell us for Flying where.;)Thumbswayup

Appreciate your input. Completely agree that the general laws are similar, but not exactly the same. For example, the crazy drone and flight categories we have from November here in Europe - nothing like them anywhere else in the world. Similarly, down to local laws. Here in the UK, some councils have banned drones in their land, some haven’t. All of our national parks have different rules. I think we need to be careful (hence this post), especially if we look at the EU headache of rules coming in.

Here is Austria for example, anything weighting more than 250gr needs an annual state permit with cost of 300+ EUR.
Beat that!!!
Actually looking forward to the EU framework being implemented, can’t be worse than that.

• Wow
Reactions: Physopto
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada