DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

We keep losing ground because of idiots with drones

Marko9219

Reactions
Hill AFB Utah. We used to have a great R/C aero club here. Paved runway and all. Then, some Bozo let his drone get away from him and it ended up a mile away on the aircraft parking ramp amongst the F-35s. So, the base commander dropped the hammer on us all
20190120_131913.jpg

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Hill AFB Utah. We used to have a great R/C aero club here. Paved runway and all. Then, some Bozo let his drone get away from him and it ended up a mile away on the aircraft parking ramp amongst the F-35s. So, the base commander dropped the hammer on us all
View attachment 59854
I call those idiots the ‘10 percenters’. They make it hard for 90 percent of us law abiding, respect for the FAA guidelines, type people. That’s too bad you got shut down. It only takes one clown to mess things up for all of us. Hope the Base Commander reconsiders.......but I doubt it.

I call those idiots the ‘10 percenters’. They make it hard for 90 percent of us law abiding, respect for the FAA guidelines, type people. That’s too bad you got shut down. It only takes one clown to mess things up for all of us. Hope the Base Commander reconsiders.......but I doubt it.

Another term for them is I.Q. 0’s.

The problem is not necessarily stupidity. As anyone watching these forums knows, even a moment of inattention can lead to a UAV ending up somewhere unexpected. Winds aloft and magnetic interference at a launch are the most common causes. These things don't happen often but, given enough pilots and enough flights in a particular location, it quite likely will happen. And if the tolerance to such events is very low (or zero) then this will be the result. It's probably a good argument for not having RC fields from which autonomous UAVs are flown anywhere near airports.

Yet, every time something happens, it isn't perceived by the public and authorities as coming from careless owners, but simply as a "drone issue". In very many flying places, our days are numbered. We're going to see Federal and State regulations tightening each year.

I agree. It’s the stupid and irresponsible drone users that make it hard for us responsible drone users. It’s sad.[emoji24]

Reactions: Former Member
Clearly you can not legislate stupidity, but mistakes and technological glitches happen. We did not pay attention to Dr Paul Erlich and Rachel Carson, so now we have too many idiots with too much technology. Fly safe and sane

I have been flying remote control helicopters for probably 15 years. Back in the day, we were relegated to flying at the end of the runway and only if no other air traffic was flying. We were treated kind of like red headed stepchildren.

Someday soon the tables may be reversed. RC airplanes and helicopters are on the down swing and drones are being sold in exponential volumes from year to year. While many of these RC flying fields will become extinct, drone flyers will multiply.

The biggest problem I see with drones, as opposed to learning to fly a fixed wing at a flying field, is that there is no one to teach you. In the old RC airplane days, you 1st had to have an AMA card just to fly and then you had to be checked out by 1 of the field instructors before you could even start your engine. That was their way of making sure you were safe and not a hazard to other pilots plus their job was to ensure that your aircraft was airworthy and that you could experience the most fun and least amount of terror while you are flying

There was always a field safety officer present on Sundays and he would be the one to go and have a skull session with someone if they were doing something stupid or wrong. These days the only field safety officers we have are the police who have no clue about what our laws and regulations are, and our neighbors who are quick to jump the gun and call the police if they think we are invading their privacy.

If you are courteous, respectful, don't fly low over people's property, don't buzz people or their property, maybe we will have a happy future. If left up to some of these malevolent pilots who really don't give a darn about safety or regulations and just want to fly when they want to fly, we will be doomed.

Sincerely,

Cpl Thunderdrones
Drone Police

I know exactly what you mean

Last week I was talking to someone who said that he just did a video of his mates place over 2km away.

I reminded him that you must be able to see the drone at all times and also that a chopper had just landed at the nearby hospital so he should not be flying.

Yeah that’s what they tell me. He just laughed and walked away.

It was his 1st flight with the drone!

View attachment 59854
Would like to see the article concerning this break away drone...

They already had a nice 3 color vinyl banner printed up....Don’t think any minds will be changed either.

I find it a little hard to understand how an RC field was allowed to operate within 1 mile of active front line fighters in the first place
Is this a common situation in America?
We simply called the tower each time and got clearance. The jets and the R/C aircraft were never even within 2 or 3 miles of each other in the air. Only on the parking ramp were they ever within a mile.

The problem is not necessarily stupidity. As anyone watching these forums knows, even a moment of inattention can lead to a UAV ending up somewhere unexpected. Winds aloft and magnetic interference at a launch are the most common causes. These things don't happen often but, given enough pilots and enough flights in a particular location, it quite likely will happen. And if the tolerance to such events is very low (or zero) then this will be the result. It's probably a good argument for not having RC fields from which autonomous UAVs are flown anywhere near airports.

Our town has a RC club flying field within a mile from Hemet/Ryan air tanker base and general aviation airport. It is still open, and even though I’ve flown my balsa and mylar super cub model there, I would not fly my M2P, even with giving notice and getting approval from the airport, Its just too close and public for comfort.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa