DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weak signal, interference, or actual Mavic problem? I need someone who really knows his stuff to help me figure this out...LOL

RawRock

Reactions
I have a problem that makes no sense to me... I have a new Mavic 2 Pro and When I get out to the end of my range, the drone ends up going crazy like there’s a different signal trying to mistakenly take over. The drone will switch for a split second over and over from Position to Sport, or Vise Versa, then also It flashes back and forth from automatic focus to manual focus, and gives two different alerts: one is “Atti to large” even though there are plenty of GPS satelites available, and “signal interference”. Also the gimbal will twitch and it turns off the “30degree up” option on the gimbal and back on.. All this goes crazy doing this towards the end of my range. I thought it was weak range signal so I bought a Nice set up of Raptor XR panel with dual amplification command case to really give me some range. Well this made it worse and my range is cut in half rather than increased... Makes no sense. Is my drone screwed up or what could possibly make these things happen? I have tried it in 10 different places, all very far from the other place, so place that I am flying does not change anything. I really need help and if I have to send the drone off to get repaired I am tired of trying to trouble shoot to no avail. Anyone have any ideas? Is this a normal thing when you get to the max range area of signal when flying? I really don’t understand what is going on and It happens to me everytime if I fly to the end of my range I think...

the warnings you're getting are indicative of a high wind situation
can you replicate the situation on the ground? leave your drone at home and drive away with the controller until failsafe?

the warnings you're getting are indicative of a high wind situation
can you replicate the situation on the ground? leave your drone at home and drive away with the controller until failsafe?
No it has to be close to when it acts like its going out of range, you lose signal and can’t see anything from the screen... everything goes crazy... Atti To large.. It’s been days with no wind at all on the ground.It’s been South Carolina, TN and WV doing this.. but the wind should not do all these things like this.. Why would a amplifier and panel antena make me have no signal rather than extending my signal? Makes no sense to me..
Why would it lose complete signal? And only fly to 2000 feet, when with my normal controller it will fly to 6000 feet...
It’s weird...

No it has to be close to when it acts like its going out of range, you lose signal and can’t see anything from the screen... everything goes crazy... Atti To large.. It’s been days with no wind at all on the ground.It’s been South Carolina, TN and WV doing this.. but the wind should not do all these things like this.. Why would a amplifier and panel antena make me have no signal rather than extending my signal? Makes no sense to me..
Why would it lose complete signal? And only fly to 2000 feet, when with my normal controller it will fly to 6000 feet...
It’s weird...
Quite simply with that many errors you have a lemon. It happens extremely rarely and in fact I have never seen such a broad range of issues as you describe. I would immediately pack it up and return for replacement, before you have nothing to replace! Do not fly it at this point. Just get another and you should be golden :)

Quite simply with that many errors you have a lemon. It happens extremely rarely and in fact I have never seen such a broad range of issues as you describe. I would immediately pack it up and return for replacement, before you have nothing to replace! Do not fly it at this point. Just get another and you should be golden :)
That’s what I already been thinking, I just needed to hear someone else say it... I don’t have a computer to do any DJI assistant 2 work to figure anything out.. I had a Mavic Pro Platinum 4 years ago and lost it in a river when I went under a bridge and when it switched from GPS mode to Atti Mode the drone jerked a couple feet under the bridge and collided with a wall and lost the whole thing in some rapids. Their was no recovery of the carcass of the bird so I couldn’t get it replaced back then. 4 years I have been dreaming and saving to get another drone, and Some reason flying the thing is like smoking crack. I dream about flying it, Im distracted throughout the day anxious to go fly after work, LOL. Just love it. I finally got this thing and hate to even go the month without it to get it replaced. LOL... Most fun thing or hobby I have ever been into since I used to be able to skateboard without killing myself.. But your right, if I keep pushing I may end up in the same position as with the last drone; and be another 4 years before I could afford another one...LOL. Thanks..

That’s what I already been thinking, I just needed to hear someone else say it... I don’t have a computer to do any DJI assistant 2 work to figure anything out.. I had a Mavic Pro Platinum 4 years ago and lost it in a river when I went under a bridge and when it switched from GPS mode to Atti Mode the drone jerked a couple feet under the bridge and collided with a wall and lost the whole thing in some rapids. Their was no recovery of the carcass of the bird so I couldn’t get it replaced back then. 4 years I have been dreaming and saving to get another drone, and Some reason flying the thing is like smoking crack. I dream about flying it, Im distracted throughout the day anxious to go fly after work, LOL. Just love it. I finally got this thing and hate to even go the month without it to get it replaced. LOL... Most fun thing or hobby I have ever been into since I used to be able to skateboard without killing myself.. But your right, if I keep pushing I may end up in the same position as with the last drone; and be another 4 years before I could afford another one...LOL. Thanks..
I see you have carried this to another thread...but I gotta ask...what do you do with your drones that you have no computer to do anything with the files or Drone maintenance...just load it raw to a TV or something and trust OTA updates?

I see you have carried this to another thread...but I gotta ask...what do you do with your drones that you have no computer to do anything with the files or Drone maintenance...just load it raw to a TV or something and trust OTA updates?
I just got it like a month ago, maybe less, once I started counting. The old DJI assistant was a app for my mavic Platinum, and I lost it 4yrs ago. Im glad to have it because I been dreaming of getting one for the whole 4 years. It will be a while before I can afford a computer. I go on facebook live and use my ipad pro to save footage, make stuff with imovie and the dji editer.. what is a OTA update?

I will probably have to borrow a computer and find a way to check it soon before I send it back to get it worked on..

OTA = Over The Air. Means wirelessly updating the firmware with the app while the AC/RC are connected. Often this can be problematic where updating "offline" with a PC is more successful.

This is also a term used for phone software/firmware updates.

OTA = Over The Air. Means wirelessly updating the firmware with the app while the AC/RC are connected. Often this can be problematic where updating "offline" with a PC is more successful.

This is also a term used for phone software/firmware updates.
Could this be my problem?

Could this be my problem?
Firmware update over radio is Ok as long as the app says 100% completed at the end. There should be verification process during the transfer of data to ensure data integrity. I never had any problems with wireless firmware update. However, if things get stuck in the middle, that can be a real problem.

can you upload the flight log files in the phone to Airdata using their app and share the link of your flight in Airdata ? May be some insight can be obtained

Last edited:
Most common problem with OTA firmware updates is problem downloading the firmware to the app for deployment to the RC/AC. Often stops with claim of network connection problem, which is probably really on DJI's side.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82