DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weak signal

alifeofimages

Reactions
Hi

I flew my Mavic today and I keep getting a weak signal around 2 bars this is on 2.4. I even bought the range extender and had that on. I noticed when I was flying the camera image is distorted and the drone is less responsive. Any suggestions as what improve the wifi connection?

Many thanks

Adam

I think he meant "why are you using WiFi" ?

The Wifi spectrum is really dirty, even when not so close to urban areas is not as solid as other proprietary technologies. Occusync is really reliable in Wifi dirty areas.
My Spark (basic wifi) is lucky to get 200 meters sometimes with out RTH or choppines due to wifi being saturated in my hood...Mavic Pro seems to never be bothered.

The Wifi spectrum is really dirty, even when not so close to urban areas is not as solid as other proprietary technologies. Occusync is really reliable in Wifi dirty areas.
My Spark (basic wifi) is lucky to get 200 meters sometimes with out RTH or choppines due to wifi being saturated in my hood...Mavic Pro seems to never be bothered.
That's why I never use the WiFi option. I rather use the occusyn technology in all my flight. Even if it's short the range that I need.

Hi
Sorry new to this what is occusync and how do I activate it. Also have a spark and the range on this is rubbish just RTH. Always get WiFi interference which doesn’t help when flying also. Thanks JayNC

With RC and Googles on I get the same behaviour. Dropping strength on RC signal and video feed distorted. Range of MP drops to like 30% - 40%.

With RC and Googles on I get the same behaviour. Dropping strength on RC signal and video feed distorted. Range of MP drops to like 30% - 40%.
Same here video feedback lagging and distorted. One person on the DJI forum had to take the controller apart as sometimes the antenna connection is loose. If with the new occusync interference warning comes up.

why are you using wifi?
I am under the impression that you need WIFI to see via a phone or tablet. Without it, you are in the blind visually. If this is incorrect, please let me know another way to see on a phone or tablet.

Thanks

I am under the impression that you need WIFI to see via a phone or tablet. Without it, you are in the blind visually. If this is incorrect, please let me know another way to see on a phone or tablet.

Thanks
You don't need wifi when flying. It's better if you dont use it. Are you sure you're using wifi? There is a switch by the sd slot, you should have that switched to RC and not wifi. The only time you would want to switch it to wifi is if you are flying without the RC, using a phone only. If you use the controller, leave it switched to RC

You don't need wifi when flying. It's better if you dont use it. Are you sure you're using wifi? There is a switch by the sd slot, you should have that switched to RC and not wifi. The only time you would want to switch it to wifi is if you are flying without the RC, using a phone only. If you use the controller, leave it switched to RC
I have had the switch in wifi mode since getting the drone new a month ago. Th controller actually indicates that I'm in GPS mode. From what I've read from a number of users, flying with only a phone not connected to the controller can result in a fly away, at least with an android phone. I've used my Samsung Note 5 attched to the controller with no problems but mostly use an IOS 9.7 tablet, also withno problems. That said, I am giving serious thought to trying the RC mode.

I have had the switch in wifi mode since getting the drone new a month ago. Th controller actually indicates that I'm in GPS mode. From what I've read from a number of users, flying with only a phone not connected to the controller can result in a fly away, at least with an android phone. I've used my Samsung Note 5 attched to the controller with no problems but mostly use an IOS 9.7 tablet, also withno problems. That said, I am giving serious thought to trying the RC mode.
I would never not use a phone. It's a pretty crappy way to fly, too many features missed that way. DJI builds a really solid product. My guess is those flyaways were probably user error and they didn't know what they did wrong. Many "defective drone" flyaways have been debunked here after logs are posted. But yes, if you are using a phone, you should absolutely be using RC mode. Wifi mode was intended to be used by people who dont want to use the controller.

Hi

I flew my Mavic today and I keep getting a weak signal around 2 bars this is on 2.4. I even bought the range extender and had that on. I noticed when I was flying the camera image is distorted and the drone is less responsive. Any suggestions as what improve the wifi connection?

Many thanks

Adam
Adam, I can't stay in this thread and get in to detail with you. Maybe others will. But you should not be flying in WiFi mode at all. That is not the Mavic's strength. It has a great range and excellent video feed using the regular Occusync system with its controller. You can even control the drone if the app on the phone crashes. I don't know anyone that uses or has any good reason to use the WiFi option. Lift that flap and move it to the RC position and you'll be amazed at how your flights improve. I can't imagine even needing a range extender either. The Mavic is rated at over 4 miles, way out of sight.

I would never not use a phone. It's a pretty crappy way to fly, too many features missed that way. DJI builds a really solid product. My guess is those flyaways were probably user error and they didn't know what they did wrong. Many "defective drone" flyaways have been debunked here after logs are posted. But yes, if you are using a phone, you should absolutely be using RC mode. Wifi mode was intended to be used by people who dont want to use the controller.
Guess the idea of a fly away is stuck in my head. I am aware that user error occurred in a majority of the fly aways. The last time I read into the issue was about the time DJI was coming out with a software update which, apparently, had a big effect on androids, which, at the time, is the only system I had.

Guess the idea of a fly away is stuck in my head. I am aware that user error occurred in a majority of the fly aways. The last time I read into the issue was about the time DJI was coming out with a software update which, apparently, had a big effect on androids, which, at the time, is the only system I had.
Occusyn is very reliable and extremely superior to WiFi. I have my mavic close to 1 mile and the antennas were not even open. I always keep it closed and never lose a single bar of transmission. This is why nothing can compete with occusyn and trust me, not way that you can have a fly away unless you are flying in a very windy day of over 25mph. The mavic can resist winds of up to 20mph. I never take risks with the mavic. If the weather conditions are not good, no flying for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake