DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weaponizing the Mavic 3

Unfortunately I can’t view this article as you apparently need to have a subscription to the NY Times. Sounds like an interesting article though.

Chris

Reactions: AnzacJack
*** Admin Approved***

Let's keep our conversation On Topic and don't derail this thread.

Thanks for restoring the Topic and for Yaris for posting the alternate link.

I found the article interesting and sad at the same time because it has forced people living through a senseless war to become creative to find ways to use a product - the Mavic 3, that was designed as a photography tool, to use it instead for a tool for war.

Chris

Thanks for restoring the Topic and for Yaris for posting the alternate link.

I found the article interesting and sad at the same time because it has forced people living through a senseless war to become creative to find ways to use a product - the Mavic 3, that was designed as a photography tool, to use it instead for a tool for war.

Chris
I agree with your sentiments completely, but I think that this has much wider significance, in that such an inexpensive tool is already fundamentally changing the balance of armed conflict.

I don't actually think that they will succeed in their immediate goal of defeating battle tank armor with a 1 lb munition; they almost certainly don't have the expertise to develop such a marginal system. But that's just a matter of time and future increases in payload capabilities. It will be a game changer.

Reactions: Chrislaf
I agree with your sentiments completely, but I think that this has much wider significance, in that such an inexpensive tool is already fundamentally changing the balance of armed conflict.

I don't actually think that they will succeed in their immediate goal of defeating battle tank armor with a 1 lb munition; they almost certainly don't have the expertise to develop such a marginal system. But that's just a matter of time and future increases in payload capabilities. It will be a game changer.
I agree. I think drones and other automated technology are the future and will sooner or later replace conventional combat in wars and conflicts.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Isn't it the agricultural drones that have the highest payload capacity for the price. Why does the article choose or talk about using a mavic3. Almost sounds like a anti DJI marketing scheme.

for example: 6Axis Agriculture Drone 1650mm Agricultural UAV Drone Frame Capacity 15L Tank* | eBay

That's cheap (!) but see no flight time listed for the intended purpose (ag spraying).
I bet it's nowhere near the DJI ag type drones though (even the T40 is only ~ 10-13 mins with load, battery is 12kg, capacity 30,000mAh).
Still for shorter bombing runs 16kg is pretty good payload even for a sacrificial suicide type drone for that $.

Found numerous sites with same photos and info, no mention of flight time, rechecking, no mention of battery supplied or capacity either.

The DJI Agras T40 has a 50kg payload capability, but a price tag of AU$46k to go with it.
Ok, cheap compared to Leopard tanks etc (some of which are being gifted to the Ukraine ?), but DJI or other sources would be reluctant to give these away I bet, for both $ and political reasons.

Why do you think they chose the Mavic 3 platform. Are the heavier payload drones not in their budget.?
I don't know, but I would guess because it is readily available as a consumer product, rather than because it is cheap. Competent heavy-lift UAVs are much harder to find. I rather doubt that the one that you linked above is what it seems.

I don't know, but I would guess because it is readily available as a consumer product, rather than because it is cheap. Competent heavy-lift UAVs are much harder to find. I rather doubt that the one that you linked above is what it seems.
Otherwise you'd have to learn how to operate a military grade plane looking thing drone.

What about this drone?

DJI S1000+​

This is one of the cheapest RC drones for sale and it also might just be the best. This lightweight octacopter has eight powerful motors which can fold up to save space. But that portability doesn’t come at the expense of convenience – the S1000+ can be set up in only a few minutes.

Beyond that, you’re getting a durable carbon fiber body, a 4 pound weight limit (most professional cameras come in at about 2.5 pounds including the lens) and a 25 minute flight time, all at a cost of only $1,500. If you’re looking for an all-around good gas powered drone backed by the DJI reputation for quality, look no further.

Features:

DJI S1000+ gas powered drones specs

• Low cost of $1500 USD
• Can carry 4 pounds of weight
• 25 minute flight time
• Most portable gas powered drone
• Removable central board

What about this drone?

DJI S1000+​

This is one of the cheapest RC drones for sale and it also might just be the best. This lightweight octacopter has eight powerful motors which can fold up to save space. But that portability doesn’t come at the expense of convenience – the S1000+ can be set up in only a few minutes.

Beyond that, you’re getting a durable carbon fiber body, a 4 pound weight limit (most professional cameras come in at about 2.5 pounds including the lens) and a 25 minute flight time, all at a cost of only $1,500. If you’re looking for an all-around good gas powered drone backed by the DJI reputation for quality, look no further.

Features:

DJI S1000+ gas powered drones specs

• Low cost of $1500 USD
• Can carry 4 pounds of weight
• 25 minute flight time
• Most portable gas powered drone
• Removable central board
If you want to go into combat on a budget with a decent carry capacity, this drone makes better sense than a mav 3. Maybe they are using the mav 3 classic. It's a bit cheaper. But I would do a little more research if I was going to try and damage or disable a tank. WHEN DISABLING TANKS, THE MAIN GOAL IS TO DAMAGE THE TRACKS THAT PROPEL THE TANK. THE GOAL IS TO DISABLE IT'S MOVEMENT.

WHY NOT DO THIS AS WELL.

DIY GUIDED MODEL ROCKETS BUILT USING ESTES ROCKETS, TAIL FIN SERVOS AND GPS GUIDANCE TO HIT TARGET.

It's easy. A no brainer.

I am suspicious of this WEAPONIZED DJI M3 article. I THINK IT'S AN ATTACK ON DJI. I THINK GOVERNMENTS ARE WORRIED ABOUT HOW ACCURATE THEY ARE AND HOW EASILY WEAPONAIZED THEY CAN BECOME.

I remember when a 18 yo kid put a handgun on a drone (self-built, it looks like). He then used a servo to pull the trigger. It probably scared the crap out of parents and politicians everywhere.

HERE IS THE VIDEO LINK: THE NEWS IS GOVERNMENT RUN, OBVIOUSLY. THEY CRUCIFIED THIS KID FOR CREATIVITY. HE PROBABLY WORKS FOR THE USA MILITARY NOW.

WHY NOT DO THIS AS WELL.

DIY GUIDED MODEL ROCKETS BUILT USING ESTES ROCKETS, TAIL FIN SERVOS AND GPS GUIDANCE TO HIT TARGET.

It's easy. A no brainer.

I am suspicious of this WEAPONIZED DJI M3 article. I THINK IT'S AN ATTACK ON DJI. I THINK GOVERNMENTS ARE WORRIED ABOUT HOW ACCURATE THEY ARE AND HOW EASILY WEAPONAIZED THEY CAN BECOME.

I remember when a 18 yo kid put a handgun on a drone (self-built, it looks like). He then used a servo to pull the trigger. It probably scared the crap out of parents and politicians everywhere.

HERE IS THE VIDEO LINK: THE NEWS IS GOVERNMENT RUN, OBVIOUSLY. THEY CRUCIFIED THIS KID FOR CREATIVITY. HE PROBABLY WORKS FOR THE USA MILITARY NOW.

They rewarded the one kid at the white house for buying an alarm clock from radio shack. The possibilities are endless.

WHAT DRONES IS UKRAINE USING? Not much is mentioned regarding the Mavic 3.

The unit's arsenal of drones ranges from cheap commercial ones to heavy-duty octocopters that have been modified to drop anti-tank grenades and to see with thermal cameras, according to the paper.

A Bayraktar TB2 drone.

A Bayraktar TB2 drone. Muhammed Enes Yildirim/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images.
The R18 drone has a 4-kilometer range — about 2½ miles — and its capacity to drop 11-pound bombs is particularly prized by Honchar's drone warriors, the paper said. The team also uses the PD-1, or Punisher drone, developed by Ukraine, that can carry about 6½ pounds of explosives up to 30 miles away.

Since Russia began its invasion, Ukrainian forces have had success in using drones such as the highly rated Turkish-made Bayraktar TB-2 to destroy the equipment of invading forces, Justin Bronk, a research fellow at the Royal United Services Institute, wrote in The Spectator.

The success of the drones "speaks more to the skill of its Ukrainian operators and the incompetence and operational failures of Russian forces," Bronk wrote.

Aerorozvidka's drone unit, which flies up to 300 missions a day, according to The Times, operates using Elon Musk's Starlink satellite system, which was activated in Ukraine days after Russia invaded.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242