DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wearing spectacles when flying a drone

jarnie

Reactions
I need to wear spectacles both for reading and distance and so have multifocal lenses (I could also have bi focals).

On bright sunny days it is beneficial to have those lenses tinted BUT that compromises viewing my tablet even when using a monitor hood as the tinting darkens the monitor.
Ideally the top of the lens (for distance) should be tinted and bottom (for close up reading) should be clear but I have never seen such spectacles.

Could anyone who need to wear spectacles for both distance and reading advise what they do.

Thanks

I need to wear spectacles both for reading and distance and so have multifocal lenses (I could also have bi focals).

On bright sunny days it is beneficial to have those lenses tinted BUT that compromises viewing my tablet even when using a monitor hood as the tinting darkens the monitor.
Ideally the top of the lens (for distance) should be tinted and bottom (for close up reading) should be clear but I have never seen such spectacles.

Could anyone who need to wear spectacles for both distance and reading advise what they do.

Thanks
I don't know your budget, or your drone, but maybe CrystalSky?

Edit: I do not wear glasses, so can't chime in there

Thanks

Do yourself a favor and go on you tube. Search captain drone. He also wears glasses. Just jump on any of his videos and ask for advice in a comment. Guaranteed he will get back to you. He seems to be a good person. I have been a subscriber to his channel for many years. Good luck and let me know if he was any help.

Thanks

I have the same issue(s). Used to use iPad mini 4. Bought a Smart Controller. I can see in sunlight easily. Flying much more enjoyable now. Wish it wasn’t so expensive.

I wear bi-focals, I do not use sunglasses but I do wear a hat with a forward brim to shade my eyes from the sun.
On a bright sunny day, I put a sunshade on the iPad tablet which, to me, makes all the difference in the world from being able to see the display screen or a reflexion of my face.

Reactions: hiflyer201
There is no need to do anything special.
Unless you pay for one of the extra brightness screens, all screens are hard to read in full sunlight, whether you wear glasses or not.
The simple solution is to avoid having full sunlight fall on your screen.
Shooting from the shade provided by a handy wall or tree is very effective or even your own shadow.

Wow what fast replies and I am grateful to each and everyone who replied.
I will check out the suggestions.
I had a thought after I posted that I could use those clip on sunglasses (they clip on over the spectacles) and cut each lense in half longitudinally so that when they are flipped down they only half cover the spectacles. The clip on are cheap so no harm in doing this.
Hey these would also help when driving a car as the forward vision would be tinted but but when looking down at the instrument panel.

i wear something called varifocals the top half of the lense is for long range and the bottom is for close up, it is a gradual change between the two extremes and allows me to fly safely
i have tinted ones for driving in very bright sun light, but find that the tint makes it difficult to see the screen of my i pad and determine the EV value of the picture, i therefore wear the clear lenses for flying, and a baseball cap to help keep the sun out of my eyes, also use a sun hood on the ipad and am able to see the screen ok

I have varifocal lenses that are photo chromatic (go dark in the sun), great normally or when looking up at the drone but not so good when I look back down at the screen.
At the price of clear ones it’s not worth it for the few hours spent flying.

Edit.
I did fit a none reflective tempered glass screen protector, as the name says it stops reflections on the screen.

Last edited:
Wow what fast replies and I am grateful to each and everyone who replied.
I will check out the suggestions.
I had a thought after I posted that I could use those clip on sunglasses (they clip on over the spectacles) and cut each lense in half longitudinally so that when they are flipped down they only half cover the spectacles. The clip on are cheap so no harm in doing this.
Hey these would also help when driving a car as the forward vision would be tinted but but when looking down at the instrument panel.
One last thing from me...

Fly from your car?

Thanks
I modified some clip on sunglasses to solve this exact problem. They work great.

Attachments

• bob2.jpg
    bob2.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 76
I suggest getting some clip-ons for your glasses. Flip them down when looking at the sky, flip them up when looking at your tablet. I know that would be a pain, but at least you could see.

EDIT: Looks like LivingLarge has an even better solution.

Some very inovative ideas, thanks.
Here in the land downunder those varifocals are referred to as multifocals.
No not flying from a car just an example as where spectacles with tinting at the top and non at the bottom would also come in handy :eek:
Yes my glasses are 'transitions' (photochromatic) which go dark QUICKLY in the bright sun but unfortunately take a very long time to go clear ago when inside. The manufacturers just don't seem to be able to develop something which goes clear quickly.

I need to get multifocal/varifocal spectacles without 'transitions' that remain clear even in the sun and use a baseball cap and/or clipons which only cover the top of the spectacles like Livinlarge uses.

Makes me remember seeing strange looking spectacles worn by some snooker/pool players which only had lens at the top of the frames for when looking down the cue to make a play with the head down - anyone ever seen those?

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:

Thanks
Get a pair of clip ons and cut the bottom off.

Thanks
When going for private pilot license found switching glasses to see cockpit panel and then scan outside was dangerous. Most convenient and problem free solution, Multi-Focal contact lenses. Can see every hair on my hand and golf ball at 200 yards.

My prescription sunglasses have a polarizing coating. Depending on the angle I hold my phone screen the sunglasses will completely block the display screen. The screen goes black! Same with my digital wristwatch. I keep thinking the battery in my watch just died, because the display sometimes fades completely black.

I know I'm supposed to keep VLOS on my drone, but if I wear the sunglasses on sunny days I can't see the screen display. Instead I wear my normal clear prescription glasses and find a shady spot to fly from.

I got eyes checked and a Rx for daily wear contact lenses at Costco. They also fit them so they are really comfortable. I can't even tell I have them in, lol. Maybe check into getting contacts =)

According to your budget, you might want to look at the Epson Moverio BT 300 glasses. Would solve your problem. Pricey though...$700 plus tax.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ