DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weather conditions and Mavic

Dronebow

Reactions
I'm anticipating taking a trip to Colorado Springs in December and with some of the talk about windy conditions being a factor and I think I saw a minimum operating temperature on the Mavic as well, I'm curious what the cold does to this platform.

For reference I have flown my P3A in cold and misty conditions. I think it was probably low 40's but the chill factor was likely mid to high 30's. Misty air which caused the camera to fog up but the P3 flew like a champ.

What differences would I likely expect with the Mavic. I would really like to fly in Colorado even if there is snow on the ground and not sure how windy it is over the Royal Gorge but that is something I certainly want some video of.

I doubt there is ANYONE who can answer this with first hand knowledge.

Just remember, fly outside the recommendations, it is your $1000.

Reactions: kykayak
I get that. Operating temp is 32F to 104F and I figured those are not arbitrary numbers, perhaps something that was tested by DJI. Below freezing I'm guessing it could ice up or something. As far as the wind, I don't see on the specs where that is specified but seems I read somewhere up to 40mph gusts?? Anyway, I realize it's an open ended question and there is limited experience with the Mavic..

What are the specs for the P4, or P3? what are their operating ranges? It is really going to come down to your own judgement anyway - none of us will be there with you if/when you attempt it.

But I do know Colorado can get **** windy. Check the weather reports for that area and pay attention to the gusts for the wind. (I use weatherunderground for that, personally).

What are the specs for the P4, or P3? what are their operating ranges? It is really going to come down to your own judgement anyway - none of us will be there with you if/when you attempt it.

But I do know Colorado can get **** windy. Check the weather reports for that area and pay attention to the gusts for the wind. (I use weatherunderground for that, personally).
Specs for temps is the same. I have never really felt like I had to check the actual wind speed so that is why I asked the best way. Mountains can be tricky I know and especially I would imagine around the gorge area. Thanks for the tip on weatherunderground.

And I'm certainly not saying I want to test the limits. Just opening the door to the conversation....

@Dronebow Check out the thread here which may provide some helpful insight: Flying in cold weather

We've got a lot of experience flying in cold weather at our location in Wisconsin. Have never had performance problems with any copters in the cold besides reduced flight time, main problem for us is just freezing our @SS off and getting frost bitten fingers :mad:

Reactions: kykayak
Like most people here, I have no personal experience with the Mavic. Having said that, I seem to remember seeing a promotional video of the Mavic following a downhill skier.

That would seem to indicate that it is possible to use the Mavic in cold conditions. Although there's no way to tell what the Temps were during that video.

@Dronebow Check out the thread here which may provide some helpful insight: Flying in cold weather

We've got a lot of experience flying in cold weather at our location in Wisconsin. Have never had performance problems with any copters in the cold besides reduced flight time, main problem for us is just freezing our @SS off and getting frost bitten fingers :mad:
Good! I'm well aware that this is all a judgement call but was looking for some evidence that flying in cold weather doesn't guarantee a downed bird. Thanks!

Oh, and on the other thread you listed, it states that the main concern are the lipo batteries. One thing to consider here is that since the battery on the Mavic is on top, directly under the blades, this may impact it more than the Phantom. In the Phantom the battery is inside the body of the aircraft. Possibly something to consider here....

First issue - reduced battery performance.
You can help this by keeping them warm in an inside pocket or vehicle, and on starting give it a minute hovering to start to warm itself.
Minimise very demanding movements if the battery is not at optimum temperature.

Secondly icing on props, body and camera.
While you wouldn't often deliberately fly through fog or cloud at all, nevermind below freezing - ice can form unexpectedly and the effect will not be good.

The main reason for suggesting 32F/0C minimum is probably precautionary rather than something known likely to not operate as normal.

Yeah I presume it's based mostly on the use of a LIPO. The battery could drastically lose voltage and cause other issues. I've flown mine here on very short flights outside the house below freezing and performance was great. But my battery was still warm from the house.

Yeah I presume it's based mostly on the use of a LIPO. The battery could drastically lose voltage and cause other issues. I've flown mine here on very short flights outside the house below freezing and performance was great. But my battery was still warm from the house.
Both the Batteries and the drone have their own temp recommendations by DJI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake