DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weird Issue with test flight and Firmware

DanMan32

Premium Pilot
Reactions
As I have mentioned in the past, my 3 original batteries have swelled, battery one a bit, battery two a bit more, and battery 3 I won't fly more than 10 ft.
I thought I'd check the run time of the worst 2 compared to one of the two batteries I bought new last month.

So I use battery 1 to "warm up" the AC in settling IMU and acquiring satellites. Then use battery 5 to take off to 4ft and let it hover until critical battery at around 10%.
Around 12 minutes into the test flight I noticed I was not getting video feed. Once in a while I'd get a frame refresh. I thought it was an app malfunction or bad connection to remote so I try putting the app back to the startup page and back to Go Fly. Same thing. Unplug and plug in USB. Same thing. Restart app completely. Same thing.
Additional symptoms starting to appear: battery percent and voltage no longer being displayed, but line bar still moving and showing estimated remaining run time.
Now showing no SD card when there is one. AC is starting to drift its altitude down to around 1ft even though display says it's still close to 4ft. I manually adjust altitude so that it doesn't hit ground. Altitude displayed corresponds to 4ft +/- my manual adjustment.

When my test is done, I check how long the flight lasted in the flight log page. No log of my flight, at least not listed under my current aircraft. I later found a partial flight listed under the consolidated list.
Restart AC. All is well but now I get a firmware inconsistent. I thought that had to do with the battery so I say go ahead. Update fails.
So I put my older battery in and it completes the firmware update. It might not have been the battery after all that needed update.

I found two TXT files related to my actions for today, ran them through PhantomHelp. No explanation for the weird telemetry display issue but verified both files together is the entire test flight. Runtime 23 minutes, 28 seconds. That's about what I've been getting from continuous video recordings.
I estimate the weird video feed and telemetry feed started happening at 12 minutes because at that time in the log is the message that I'm in class D space and if I agree to take responsibility. That's probably when I started messing with resetting the app.

At least I was able to get my baseline runtime with new batteries, now to compare with my original batteries.

Is there a way to post PhantomHelp results without disclosing location? I'm suspecting though the DAT files will be needed.

Update: did hover test with batteries 2 and 3 that have the most swelling. Only lost one or two running minutes compared to the new one, otherwise they are electrically sound. Battery 3 does unlatch on one side once it heats up.

No call to update firmware, no adverse issues like I had with my baseline test.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3