DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well—it happened. Neighbors complaining.

seqopulch

Reactions
Got my DJI Mavic Air S2 yesterday. Pretty stoked. Did my verification videos, got insurance, went up to 400ft the 2nd day, registered w/ FAA, familiarized myself with the rules—all is good.

I live in an HOA. When I take off, I switch to sport mode and get up as high as possible to reduce noise. It's still quite loud at 350-400 feet. I am noise-conscious with my drone; if I feel it's too loud, I increase altitude. As I was capturing great shots of my neighborhood, I overhear my neighbors talking about the drone. "Well they have a right to fly it (mocking tone), but it's annoying". He was talking to another neighbor across the street. They don't know it belongs to me.

And now, the SECOND DAY in the hobby, I feel if I have to take sporadic breaks between flying as to not impose new HOA regulations on drones. All it takes is one neighbor to complain. It's a bummer. I'm nineteen; videography is a fun little hobby of mine. I take my GoPro mountain biking and hunting then spoof them up in Premiere. Yesterday, I shot some clips in DLOG on the Air S2 and they came out beautiful after color-correcting. The thought of having to slow down to please my neighbors is lame.

Think of it this way, what would happen if something went wrong and it comes down and damages someone's car or solar cell or such like. Since you say you have insurance the cost of any damages might be covered but how would you feel?
You say you go mountain biking which is, I assume, in more remote areas that are probably more scenic and with less people about. If that is so ,take the drone with you and fly there.
Personally and putting aside any legal issues, the idea of flying over a built up area puts the wind up my sails because of the "what if ".

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they complain about the noise when neighbors mow there lawn? The lawnmowers are only about 10 times louder than any consumer drone. Just fire up the lawnmower, then fly your drone and they will never notice.

I also agree that more remote areas will give you much better subject matter for your videos. You will also avoid disturbing your neighbors and their perceived invasion of privacy.

Got my DJI Mavic Air S2 yesterday. Pretty stoked. Did my verification videos, got insurance, went up to 400ft the 2nd day, registered w/ FAA, familiarized myself with the rules—all is good.

I live in an HOA. When I take off, I switch to sport mode and get up as high as possible to reduce noise. It's still quite loud at 350-400 feet. I am noise-conscious with my drone; if I feel it's too loud, I increase altitude. As I was capturing great shots of my neighborhood, I overhear my neighbors talking about the drone. "Well they have a right to fly it (mocking tone), but it's annoying". He was talking to another neighbor across the street. They don't know it belongs to me.

And now, the SECOND DAY in the hobby, I feel if I have to take sporadic breaks between flying as to not impose new HOA regulations on drones. All it takes is one neighbor to complain. It's a bummer. I'm nineteen; videography is a fun little hobby of mine. I take my GoPro mountain biking and hunting then spoof them up in Premiere. Yesterday, I shot some clips in DLOG on the Air S2 and they came out beautiful after color-correcting. The thought of having to slow down to please my neighbors is lame.

It might be that while you are apprehensive about the noise your drone makes, your neighbors could be more concerned about having a camera flying over their homes. I live in the boonies and can fly pretty much where I want, but I'd consider a drone flying over my house to be more of an intrusion than the noise it made.

That said, there ALWAYS seems to be somebody in an HOA that is willing to complain about almost anything. Not sure how you avoid that other than simply flying somewhere they aren't.

If you feel confident, there would be no harm in having a chat to the people who you saw outside and show them the drone and tell them that you are learning how to fly it carefully before going further afield. Tell them that you are getting it up higher so that the noise does not disturb them and show them the screen and how you are being careful not to intrude on anyone’s privacy as the drone has very good directional control. If the conversation goes well, you might even consider offering to send them a few aerial photos or video with them in it. Something special for them. And maybe offer to check their house roofs for damage or blocked gutters. I have found that once people realise they are not being filmed and that a drone pilot can show consideration, it can make a huge difference in opinions. I was impressed that you are already showing that level of care - and your neighbours don’t even know it. Enjoy your new drone! You are on the right road. ????

You might think about getting yourself some Major Airscrew props to reduce the drone’s noise. They work well on my MA2 & also give you slightly more flying time per battery.

Or if you’re not keen on that, just fly somewhere else if it’s going to be a problem for you with your neighbours.

I have one neighbour who is building a new house on the property and I offered to do occasional video of its development. He accepted with alacrity. In order to complete the circuit, I have to overfly three other properties. So I spoke with them all and asked if they minded the occasional pass to film the development of the new house. Willing approval from all; I suspect it’s because they know who’s doing it, they know why and I respected their feelings by asking them first. Legal rights get in the way of good social interaction :)) Mike

In my personal opinion, I would get the neighborhood drone footage you need, keep it on file, and move on to neighboring parks to practice. HOA's can be notoriously ridden with busybodies, and control freaks who want to control everything happening in the neighborhood. Best not to stir up anger. Just move along to the park. Of course there will be Mavic Pilot panel members who recommend you share your photos with the neighbors. I'd give that a try. Or offer to shoot their roof tops for free. Most people have no idea what that drone does, except the fear of privacy intrusions. Try a little education.

For my own neighborhood, I have absolutely no problem. I fly at least once a month from my driveway, mostly to exercise my batteries, go up about 60-100 feet, take my shots and come back down. It gets old very quickly and you will start to hunger for new venues.

Dale
Miami

I have one neighbour who is building a new house on the property and I offered to do occasional video of its development. He accepted with alacrity. In order to complete the circuit, I have to overfly three other properties. So I spoke with them all and asked if they minded the occasional pass to film the development of the new house. Willing approval from all; I suspect it’s because they know who’s doing it, they know why and I respected their feelings by asking them first. Legal rights get in the way of good social interaction :)) Mike
( Alacrity- brisk and cheerful readiness.) That's true. My neighbors no longer complained once they found out who I was and where I was flying from. I had to speak with police three times, when I first started flying. They told the people complaining that there is nothing illegal I am doing, in particular, taking off and landing on my own property. They were told simply, there is nothing the police can do, unless I was reckless, which I'm not. Once I get up to 300ft from my property, I go to the edge of the neighborhood and film over a field.

Regarding and HOA, . . I would think they can't make a rule against take off or landing on your own property. They will anyway, but if you took them to small claims court it probably wouldn't stand up. In florida, we have a senate rule that says, no municipality, city, town, political group or association as such can not create or enforce rules regarding the use of drones. Then they say, only the FAA has that jurisdiction. I'm paraphrasing but you get the jist. I don't have an HOA, but if I did and they made a rule against my flights, I would take a copy of that senate statute and take them and the statute to court with me. They would have to remove the drone rules from their policy.

Been there done that! Bummer!

Like you I now fly straight up to max altitude (120 m) then fly out over the least populated area keeping as high as possible. Returning home I come in hot and land immediately with no hovering near neighbours houses etc. I never fly on weekends as it is too quiet making the drone more audible.

We bought a 40 acre farm 20+ years ago. I fly prewar real planes & have 1 neighbor we can see that raised high $$ show horses. Everyone was standoffish & I worried about flying issues as sometimes I had to fly right over the horses on take off which they never even looked up. So I took good aeial pics of all the farms, framed & delivered them. It broke the ice & I've never had a single complaint.

I live in a rural HOA. Only had one neighbor complain and yes, she is a busy body. She thought I may be taking pictures of her or her house. Yet, she stands out in her yard taking pictures of neighbors and I was mowing a neighbors yard right next to hers and they told me she was taking pics of me mowing - why, who knows - she's mental.

I don't hide flying from my patio and since my home is the first one in our HOA and it's one road in and one road out - everyone passes by my house. Some have seen my pics / videos and they think its cool. Our HOA Presidents husband got a cheap drone for Christmas from his son and he flies it occasionally. Even lost it in a tree, but it fell after a couple of days when a storm blew thru. The Prez even sent out an email to everyone asking if they see it to let her know. I've talked to both of them and invited him to come fly when I do waterfalls, but he's hesitant as he's learning to fly and it works off wi-fi like Mini 1; so range / etc is limited. So, with that, let the HOA Board know you have a drone, explain how you fly, show them some pics / videos. Being proactive is key as others have said too.

Since you do get outside your HOA, do that - even if it's walking / riding your bike / car outside the subdivision to an open area. Too many places to fly FREELY, esp when neighbors want to squawk. They are the types that have heard all the horror stories and have no clue.

Reactions: Rambo10 and Droniac
Do not use sport ,to loud and sense your new I would stay in cinematic mode to get use to drone,also why are you going up so high unless you want to loose your new drone, all these things are the reasons I read about new pilots loosing there drones , I’m telling you this so many reasons, anyway I hope you take my advice, also if you would have just baby your new drone you wouldn’t hade nobody complaining, my buddy just got the air-2 and I couldn’t believe how silent the props were

Do not use sport ,to loud and sense your new I would stay in cinematic mode to get use to drone,also why are you going up so high unless you want to loose your new drone, all these things are the reasons I read about new pilots loosing there drones , I’m telling you this so many reasons, anyway I hope you take my advice, also if you would have just baby your new drone you wouldn’t hade nobody complaining, my buddy just got the air-2 and I couldn’t believe how silent the props were
Absolutely nothing wrong with flying 300-400 ft. Learning to fly and no obstacles like trees / etc at that height.

Sport is a different story. Normal would be far better if you want to fly fast, as Sport will use the batteries up very quickly - but it is nice to speed to a location fast and do what you want to video / take pics of and return. If higher winds at their altitude - then sport may be only way to try and get back home - yet that is a last ditch way as if you're low on battery power - you may not make it home if far enough away. Best to lower altitude first and hope wind speeds are less at 100-150 ft.

Great excuse to get your 107! bring a note to the HOA see if they will utilize you and your skills to checks roofs, etc within the area. See if they will allow you to spread the words to neighbors, so you can check their roofs, work with local real estate agents. Start your own business!!!!! Good luck!!

Probably the same people that think it's okay to run their loud bikes or pickups around

Probably the same guys that find it okay to ride their bikes, without mufflers, or loud pickup trucks around the neighborhood at 6 o'clock on a Sunday morning..

Regarding and HOA, . . I would think they can't make a rule against take off or landing on your own property. They will anyway, but if you took them to small claims court it probably wouldn't stand up. In florida, we have a senate rule that says, no municipality, city, town, political group or association as such can not create or enforce rules regarding the use of drones. Then they say, only the FAA has that jurisdiction. I'm paraphrasing but you get the jist. I don't have an HOA, but if I did and they made a rule against my flights, I would take a copy of that senate statute and take them and the statute to court with me. They would have to remove the drone rules from their policy.
Are you sure that you have understood that law correctly? Florida HB 1027 330.41 (3) (b) says:

Except as otherwise expressly provided, a political subdivision may not enact or enforce an ordinance or resolution relating to the design, manufacture, testing, maintenance, licensing, registration, certification, or operation of an unmanned aircraft system, including airspace, altitude, flight paths, equipment or technology requirements; the purpose of operations; and pilot, operator, or observer qualifications, training, and certification.​

A HOA is not a political subdivision. It's a private organization and, as such, can make any rules that it likes regarding activities on its land.

If you feel confident, there would be no harm in having a chat to the people who you saw outside and show them the drone and tell them that you are learning how to fly it carefully before going further afield. Tell them that you are getting it up higher so that the noise does not disturb them and show them the screen and how you are being careful not to intrude on anyone’s privacy as the drone has very good directional control. If the conversation goes well, you might even consider offering to send them a few aerial photos or video with them in it. Something special for them. And maybe offer to check their house roofs for damage or blocked gutters. I have found that once people realise they are not being filmed and that a drone pilot can show consideration, it can make a huge difference in opinions. I was impressed that you are already showing that level of care - and your neighbours don’t even know it. Enjoy your new drone! You are on the right road. ????

You may want to take some shots of the entry to your community, parks, facilities, any area of interest, and a short “Welcome to xyz” video and offer it to the BOD for the website. And as others said, offer your services, to get the BOD behind you. Get out in front of it in a positive manner before it gets negative.

Funny isn’t it, how you can be standing in your driveway in plain site and your neighbors don’t know it’s you flying. I’ve walked up to two neighbors to say it’s me and let them see the screen. Also came up in conversation a few times where I fessed up , “that may have been me”, “no not watching you, it’s just a comfortable distance in my line of sight”, “why, is their something interesting to see…joking”.

Reactions: Droniac
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242