DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well done mav

AnzacJack

Australian Defence Veteran
Reactions
Officer King deployed her assigned drone to locate a suspect hiding in a backyard, and then follow right above him as he ran away. Keeping a close eye above the suspect as he ran, Officer King directed responding officers to his location. Flying drones don't get tired - running suspects do. Domestic violence suspect in custody

1657028771422.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - imagine if every police officer have a personal drone on them :D

great story, just wondering why officer Kings picture appears 3 times ,at first i thought it was one of those spot the difference between images games ;);););););)

great story, just wondering why officer Kings picture appears 3 times ,at first i thought it was one of those spot the difference between images games ;);););););)
Duplicates photos have been removed

Reactions: old man mavic
Wow - imagine if every police officer have a personal drone on them :D

Seems it was an ‘assigned drone’, Mavic 2 pro.
Was interested in background story, found a link.

Whittier CA PD.

Great idea to have say 10% or whatever officers FAA part 107 trained and licensed, and ‘carrying’ on patrol.
One should be nearby when on duty to handle such tasks.

I live within a couple of miles of the Mexican border in southern Arizona, and regularly see Border Patrol agents apprehending Illegal immigrants around (and sometimes on) my mountainside property. The terrain is rough with lots of rocks, ravines, trees, and brush. I recently asked one of the agents why they don't always have a small drone available to track illegals they are trying to catch, or find those who are trying to hide. He said that they do have a few drones, but that paperwork and permissions are obstacles to making good use of them and they mostly don't bother.

Instead, we often have regular manned helicopters flying overhead. Go figure ...

• Haha
Reactions: jaswalt
I wonder if the police there have FAA wavers to fly BVLOS or was she flying VLOS? Just curious, not critical.
That would be a question for @BigAl07 or @Vic Moss, but my thinking is yes they would have a wavier.

That would be a question for @BigAl07 or @Vic Moss, but my thinking is yes they would have a wavier.
Whittier does not have a Tactical BVLOS Waiver. There are currently 108 107.31 Waivers granted by the FAA. I don't see any for Whittier either.

But in all honesty, who cares? If she was BVLOS, it wasn't very far, and it was for a good cause. The FAA wouldn't
care.

More and more PD's across the US (And I assume other countries) are getting the $$ to integrate UAS operations into their existing Depts. We have a local PD with 2 UAS now and a local FD that's adding several next month. We will be training with them the beginning of August with the new aircraft. Currently we have half a dozen in each Dept that are either currently Part 107 or well on their way to getting Part 107.

More and more PD's across the US (And I assume other countries) are getting the $$ to integrate UAS operations into their existing Depts. We have a local PD with 2 UAS now and a local FD that's adding several next month. We will be training with them the beginning of August with the new aircraft. Currently we have half a dozen in each Dept that are either currently Part 107 or well on their way to getting Part 107.
This makes sense to me. In the long run, a drone has to be much cheaper than a police chopper and should be much quicker to deploy, especially if a town has multiple drones with multiple 107 pilots. Obviously there are things a chopper can do that drones can’t however.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Obviously there are things a chopper can do that drones can’t however.
And vice versa.

Helis are not always available to go quickly, must have all the whizz bang flir etc, very costly to crew and run.
A fire dept could with an M30T, or even a M2EA can very quickly deploy to find hotspots in building fires, spot what grass / forest fires are doing etc.
Likewise a police dept can use one for this very quickly.
S&R is of course already a big winner for emergency services.

Helis are certainly the go to for car chases though :)

The issue I have here is....how are batteries managed so that the drone is ready for flight on a moments notice? A set of batteries rotated constantly on a charger?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50