DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well It Was Bound To Happen!

Juggler

Reactions
Well Sydney has had HUGE surf these last few days but along with that high winds. Today the wind subsided and seas abated abit. Out flying I bravely went. Off the point seas 3-4 mtrs and my T/O altitude about 5-6meters ASL. Got some great pics of the surfers and then a massive set came through........
I see white water on the ipad and push left stick max climb. For a split second I think Im safe, then flashes IMU compass error fail on the screen.
Now all is black...I wait for 5 minutes looking at the skies

All I can assume is that the white water disorientated the internal compass/imu and thats all she said...On the upside I forgot to load my SD card but lost a freewell ND16/PL
NOw to try to convince my wife to let me buy a new one...
RIP ?????????????????????

Sorry for your loss... old proverb though... tempt the dragon and you might get burned.... Would be good to see the flight record as le82gx suggests.

I know what my wife would say.....

So good luck to you.

Well surprisingly my LOVING UNDERSTANDING wife will let me get a new one. I think the tears in my eyes softened her up)...Ill dig out the logs

Nicely played... in fact, same thing happened to me a few years back, though it was a toy drone that the wind scooped up, I was bummed as it was really gone gone (or so I thought, after searching for hours several days in a row in the snow!). She bought me a Spark, I was very happy, and ironically we found the toy drone just a few days after....

As i said, a true imu failure within warranty period should be claimable waaranty case, even if it drops into the sea with no wreckage

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Are these the files needed to assist what happened?

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-07-18_[14-50-37].txt
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Reactions: lee82gx
For a split second I think Im safe, then flashes IMU compass error fail on the screen.
All I can assume is that the white water disorientated the internal compass/imu
The IMU and compass won't be affected at all by sensors seeing white water below the drone.
All electronics in the drone will be severely affected by salt water inside the drone.

Looks like you flew too low, and the altitude sensing got messed up. There is a warning about this from the manual about not flying too low on the water. If you have the flight dat file instead of the txt file it will be even better.

Also possible that the surf / waves took it. IMU error was just telling you its about to flip or the attitude has become too large due to that.

Reactions: dawgpilot
If this doesnt help I will have to go to a friends home tomorrow to get the data through iTunes.

Here's the log link

Looks like it was swamped and knocked over by the waves towards the end of the flight
I do think I was well above the swell...I took off from the cliff face which is about 5-6 mtr ASL...so when the data says 1 or 2' I am actually 18' in height.

Are these the files needed to assist what happened?
Unfortunately there is a problem with the data.
I am unable to get the Verbose CSV to read properly and it would show what the downward facing sensors were detecting.

But what the data does show is that from 8:45.3 you left the drone hovering at an indicated altitude of 3.1 metres higher than your launch point.
Except for some gentle rudder inputs to rotate the drone, there were no joystick inputs after 8:54.3.

At 9:38.9 the data shows the drone pitching forward as if you gave it right stick input and the data indicates the drone picking up a little speed.
At 9:42.2 it pitches 50 degrees forward and rolls upside down with the altitude rapidly falling and the sensors indicating motion like the drone was in a washing machine.
At 9:44 the data ends.
There was no left stick up recorded in the data.

Without the more detailed data to analyse, it looks very much like the drone was left hovering too low and a wave caught it.

Last edited:
Oki thx for the help I appreciate it...I will just get a new one tomorrow....thought i was at a safe height but the surf here has been really huge so i guessed a rouge set got me..now to try to get DJI to transfer my aftercare to a new drone

Oki thx for the help I appreciate it...I will just get a new one tomorrow....thought i was at a safe height but the surf here has been really huge so i guessed a rouge set got me..now to try to get DJI to transfer my aftercare to a new drone
Having the drone start to fly without any joystick input suggests that salt water might have splashed onto/into the drone and started problems back at 9:38.9 .

The wideangle lens makes things appear further away than they are so it's easy to get to close going by the screen view.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Glad you've got the OK for a new one Thumbswayup I remember when mine ran out of battery 2km away as I stupidly cancelled the auto RTH to finish a quickshot. I hadn't twigged that at 14% it would straight land rather than let you try to get it closer. Horrible feeling as the screen goes grey and doesn't return. Luckily I wasn't over water and after 30 minutes of searching in long grass after running the 2km across various fields/fences I found her again!

Hope you get sorted soon.

You say the cliff is 6m and your lowest recorded altitude is -11.5ft so splash (to wet the drone, not swamp it) only had to reach up 8ft or so at your lowest, which, from watching Bondi Rescue, seems easily achievable.

I will have to bear splash in mind when flying at the coast here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143