DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well, Remote ID is at the doorstep.

Nicely done! You packed a lot of very good info in there and simply but well presented.

Somewhat of a good thing I think, but as a 107 holder and conscious of the rules I feel that we are goiny to pay.... and pay... and pay one way or another for this mandated technology. I was going to ask when remote ID would be in our cars... but I realized that as long as we carry a phone, we already present Google, Facebook, the government etc. with our personal remote ID ;-)

Thanks for the regulation lesson, Russ. Now we wait to see how they modify the document to fit their agenda.

Reactions: 51 Drones
If the same timetable for fully implementing remote-id rules is used as implementing the safety knowledge test, we have little to worry about. FAA is 18 months overdue in complying with that law. Not that I'm complaining.

Seems like a poor attempt to get more views on YOUR you tube channel. Just saying.
You do not create a Youtube channel without the hope of more views. If you have a message, story or any content that you think people will value related to the subject of this community I do not see an issue with posting your content in hopes that people view it. All who have posted messages on this forum do so with the expectation that someone will read it. Attaching a video is no different.

But my phone is not always powered on.

I doubt your drone is powered on more than your phone though...huh? The thing is Remote ID isn't mandated and doesn't look to be in the near future for Drones as far as a transmission side. They merely have a RCV'r for the full size planes to alert of their presence. Seems like a bunch of hoopla over nothing. But I guess time will tell what the good ole FAA has in store for us. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
If the same timetable for fully implementing remote-id rules is used as implementing the safety knowledge test, we have little to worry about. FAA is 18 months overdue in complying with that law. Not that I'm complaining.
No sense in thinking about it. Not like we have any lobbyist. Then how long to implement it. Best hope whatever they do is to make it apply to new drones and grandfather in the ones already out there. I would actually make the changes if they could be done and cost effective.

I did like his take on the YouTube police. I know he's not a lawyer (or at least I don't think he is) but I was thinking along the same lines of common sense when I read the threads about YouTube peoples needing a part 107.

Doesn’t seem real. Also, do you think the FAA is watching YouTube?

Russ is always on top of everything in our Dronasphere. You can pretty well take it to the Bank where he is concerned. I agree with him, I think that Video and I haven't seen it is more clickbait than not. Yes Remote I.D. is coming and I don't think we can escape it. That being said a couple of thoughts. 1. I am a Extra Class Amatuer Radio Operator, under the guidance of the FCC, they are not sitting around with a huge enforcement Flyswatter looking for bad actors. Yes there are what are called OO's (Official Observers) You can get a yellow card-just like soccer as a warning. If you keep it up then the big boys will find you and you could pay a fine, lose your gear or worse all of the above plus Federal Prison time. Only for the most severe and never again can you be a Ham. 2. There will be some form of enforcement. Has to be, if you're a bad actor you deserve to get caught and whatever penalty is given you deserve it and pay it, and you know there will be someone who becomes the posterchild for bad actors. It's gonna happen so deal with it. 99.9% of us are great pilots and follow the rules. We may ***** and moan but we will. What stinks in all of this is the Dad and son who fly on weekends for fun will be hurt the worse because the big lobby has made sure there are no recreational flyers at the table. Where are you AMA??? All of you giving them money should stop. They are worthless and it really shows. Think about it. 73, K9HDT Droning Harry!!

Russ is always on top of everything in our Dronasphere. You can pretty well take it to the Bank where he is concerned. I agree with him, I think that Video and I haven't seen it is more clickbait than not. Yes Remote I.D. is coming and I don't think we can escape it. That being said a couple of thoughts. 1. I am a Extra Class Amatuer Radio Operator, under the guidance of the FCC, they are not sitting around with a huge enforcement Flyswatter looking for bad actors. Yes there are what are called OO's (Official Observers) You can get a yellow card-just like soccer as a warning. If you keep it up then the big boys will find you and you could pay a fine, lose your gear or worse all of the above plus Federal Prison time. Only for the most severe and never again can you be a Ham. 2. There will be some form of enforcement. Has to be, if you're a bad actor you deserve to get caught and whatever penalty is given you deserve it and pay it, and you know there will be someone who becomes the posterchild for bad actors. It's gonna happen so deal with it. 99.9% of us are great pilots and follow the rules. We may ***** and moan but we will. What stinks in all of this is the Dad and son who fly on weekends for fun will be hurt the worse because the big lobby has made sure there are no recreational flyers at the table. Where are you AMA??? All of you giving them money should stop. They are worthless and it really shows. Think about it. 73, K9HDT Droning Harry!!

Well spoken,

Good to know there is an extra in the forum. I read the aarl tech book a while ago just to get familiarized with ham. Lots of good info in there even as an elementary book. And yes the FCC doesn't mess around after a warning. Just a little search shows that.

@51 Drones I can say 100% for sure they CAN call you on the phone during the investigation portion of the process if they need to. I'm not speaking "hypothetically" I'm speaking from First Hand Experience when someone "Reported" me for flying without a license ( I was operating under a Section 333 Exemption). I had a long an informative conversation with the FAA Investigator where he confirmed my information. I later did get a Certified Letter in the mail with the information we had discussed.

Ironically ~ 2 years later that same office # called me and asked me to come on board with the FAA as an FAA Safety Team Representative (Charlotte NC Region).

I doubt your drone is powered on more than your phone though...huh? The thing is Remote ID isn't mandated and doesn't look to be in the near future for Drones as far as a transmission side. They merely have a RCV'r for the full size planes to alert of their presence. Seems like a bunch of hoopla over nothing. But I guess time will tell what the good ole FAA has in store for us. :)

Unless something has changed in the wording there definitely IS a Transmission Aspect to Remote ID.

Agreed. It would have to be, otherwise how would it be ID'd?

Don't confuse remote ID with ADS-B reception (although ADS-B could be used for transmitting identity).

If they do go cellular, who's going to pay for the service? What happens if the cell service method used goes obsolete?
Case in point: I have the original Kindle that uses cell only as its wireless means of syncing your library. Amazon made an agreement I believe with Sprint, and probably using the slowest data method (2G or slower) for the time. No WiFi. I don't know if it still can connect but if it does, eventually it won't.

The thing is Remote ID isn't mandated and doesn't look to be in the near future for Drones as far as a transmission side.

It could be completely different when it happens in the US, but for the EU this is what the new regulations say:

ensure, in real time during the whole duration of the flight, the direct periodic broadcast from the UA using an open and documented transmission protocol, of the following data, in a way that they can be received directly by existing mobile devices within the broadcasting range:

i the UAS operator registration number;

ii the unique physical serial number of the UA compliant with standard ANSI/CTA-2063;

iii the geographical position of the UA and its height above the surface or take-off point;

iv the route course measured clockwise from true north and ground speed of the UA; and

v the geographical position of the remote pilot or, if not available, the take-off point

That said, these requirements will not apply to Open category (recreational?) drones, defined as:

Open category – operations that present a low (or no) risk to third parties. Operations are conducted in accordance with basic and pre-defined characteristics and are not subject to any further authorisation requirements.

Last edited:
Reactions: StantonZ
@51 Drones I can say 100% for sure they CAN call you on the phone during the investigation portion of the process if they need to. I'm not speaking "hypothetically" I'm speaking from First Hand Experience when someone "Reported" me for flying without a license ( I was operating under a Section 333 Exemption). I had a long an informative conversation with the FAA Investigator where he confirmed my information. I later did get a Certified Letter in the mail with the information we had discussed.

Ironically ~ 2 years later that same office # called me and asked me to come on board with the FAA as an FAA Safety Team Representative (Charlotte NC Region).

What does FAA do if the suspect/person of interest declines to give a statement over phone or in person? Can they pull 107 (if applicable) for failure to cooperate? Just curious.

What does FAA do if the suspect/person of interest declines to give a statement over phone or in person? Can they pull 107 (if applicable) for failure to cooperate? Just curious.

I "guess" they would try to get the info from other means. If you have Part 107 and you don't comply it would be fairly straight forward to revoke those privileges.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User