DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

We're Screwed...

No, we're not screwed. Those that hate drones (probably from reading fox news) will continue to hate. It will probably take a few court cases, with drone operators in the defendant's chair to sort out how society finally deals with drones. But with big corporate entities like Amazon and Google on our side, I think we'll be ok - at least for now.

I've been reading about this in the other forums and all I can think is
if a Phantom can do this to a Black Hawk that we use in battle under
all types of fire we are in trouble anyway .

I've been reading about this in the other forums and all I can think is
if a Phantom can do this to a Black Hawk that we use in battle under
all types of fire we are in trouble anyway .

Black Hawk's are designed for heavy fire. I can't see a drone taking down one of these. I can however see one of these dismember a drone. Drone operator involved = Dotard.

Black Hawk's are designed for heavy fire. I can't see a drone taking down one of these. I can however see one of these dismember a drone. Drone operator involved = Dotard.

It may not take one down, but damaged rotor blades are expensive.

Incidents like this absolutely will give drone enthusiasts a bad name and will give opponents ammunition to push for more restrictions.

I’d love to have a moment alone with whoever thought it was good to fly at 500 feet anywhere near NYC during the UN General Assembly.

Reactions: noimage and BigAl07
500 ft AGL. Nice. At least it wasn't a Mavic. :)

Reactions: Hollow Dog
I know or a fact that an Australian Army Helicopter has also impacted with a drone. They have not made it public knowledge to prevent a storm in a teacup.(it may have been one of their own phantoms ;-)

It's not like the drone pilot did it on purpose, come on, what are the odds of a Black Hawk helicopter flying exactly where you have your drone flying ?

Reactions: Rbruz
It's not like the drone pilot did it on purpose, come on, what are the odds of a Black Hawk helicopter flying exactly where you have your drone flying ?

First thing is, it’s illegal to fly a drone anywhere in NYC. Second, the chance of a helicopter flying in that area is VERY high since commuter, police, news, and sight seeing helicopters are constantly flying in the area, but get MUCH worse when the UN is in session.

NYC does have the option to charge the pilot with reckless endangerment which carries up to 7 years in prison. They would not hesitate to make an example out of someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: danman999
First thing is, it’s illegal to fly a drone anywhere in NYC. Second, the chance of a helicopter flying in that area is VERY high since commuter, police, news, and sight seeing helicopters are constantly flying in the area, but get MUCH worse when the IN is in session.

NYC does have the option to charge the pilot with reckless endangerment which carries up to 7 years in prison. The would not hesitate to make an example out of someone.

You're correct, if he was in a no fly zone then it is his fault.

c2b9fd898f82373ea51e87fcae5ae1dc.jpg

No matter how you spin this one, the drone pilot risked peoples lives. He made contact with the Blackhawk at 500', which is above the FAA ceiling.

You can hear a Blackhawk coming from 2-3 miles away. The Blackhawk cruises at 170mph, that would give the drone pilot just 20 seconds to figure out how high the Blackhawk was flying, and to get the heck out of it's way. The drone can descend at 10fps and the drone pilot was at 500'. That would take 50 seconds to land if he pulled the stick all the way down, which he apparently didnt, unless he was higher before the Blackhawks approached.

It was dangerous for him to be up that high, and negligent of him to not immediately land as soon as he heard the Blackhawks coming. There were 2 of them.

Maybe he didnt hear the Blackhawks coming at all because he was flying outside of LOS, another no-no.

Im glad the brave crew aboard the Blackhawk were ok, and they were able to land uninjured.

"ignorance of law excuses no one"

Well trained combat crews flying a multi-million dollar piece of military machinery, putting their butts on the line, and they have to worry about some ******** with a toy.
Thanks to all the responsible people here who denounce this dangerous, selfish and irresponsible act. I hope they find the the person responsible and they have a very productive meeting with federal investigators and prosecutors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143