DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

West Midlands Flying areas

Richard P

Reactions
Any members out there flying in/around Birmingham who have found good places to fly?

I am a new flyer looking for a large area in NE Birmingham/Sutton Coldfield to practice. We have the expanses of Sutton Park on the doorstep but it can get busy with dog walkers, children etc at the weekend.

Reactions: Lrplad
Hi Richard

New here myself too. I'm just of J9 M6 IKEA

Haven't flown yet, but will most likely at the weekend, probably locally for first flight etc

Was thinking that maybe Cannock Chase would be a good safe place to fly at some point, once I have gotten over the newbie pilot with an expensive bit of kit syndrome.

Sutton park sounds good too and I'm sure there are plenty of take off/landing areas there which are suitable and away from everyone else etc. May even venture up that way myself at some point in the near future.

Close to me is also Sandwell Valley and Walsall Arboretum, just need to find an area that is kind of secluded.

Will post more when I have gotten over first flight jitters and am comfortable with venturing out with it.

One thing to take note of is the following: Home

I noticed that only half of Sutton park is safe to fly in with regards to No Fly Zones.

You are right that Sutton Park is 1/2 Class D airspace but the CAA rules are:
Drones <7kg are OK as long as you fly safely - largely considered by the CAA to be visual contact with drone at less than 400ft and if you think your activities might interfere with ATC operations you should call them for clearance.
If drone is over >7kg you must get ATC permission
Planes come over the park regularly which is c. 6NM from the runway and are therefore at about 1500ft still so even at extreme of the 400ft there would be c. 1000ft of separation.

The Sutton Park Model Flying Club field located in the park is entirely in Class D space too! However by this range from the Airport the flight approach path is very narrow and cuts the SW corner of the park only. So "flying safely" is actually pretty easy. I used to be a member of the Model Flying Club and might rejoin now I have the drone.

As you can see I have become a bit obsessed with staying within the law on this.

Cannock Chase sounds like a good venue - need to find one of the less populated bits. Also worth checking any by-laws. E.G. New Forest has a blanket ban on drone flight.

Thanks Richard,

All new to me, so happy to get clarification on the importance of staying within the law etc.

Not far from the Beggar's Bush, so Sutton Park is only a short distance away. I've read Lickey Hills is okay for drone flying but I'm concerned about the drone police that think they know where you can't fly, i.e. the general public.

I too live in the Midlands and am looking for 'approved' places to fly. I bought a Mavic Pro and Air a couple of months ago and am just getting the hang of flying and all of the capabilities and features of my aircraft. I am 57 years old and consider myself to be a responsible person, and want to abide by the law and show consideration for other people while persuing my new hobby. I have started flying in the farm fields behind my house which is in a small village near Hinckley. I launch from a public bridle path and obey the DroneCode and check the area (and file a plan) in NATS Drone Assist ,which simply says follow the drone code.

Several people have asked me what I was doing and I explained and asked if I was causing them any concerns. Everyone has been very interested and was surprisingly supportive ... until last Friday evening when I was approached by 2 men who told me they were off duty police officers but showed no identification and said that I cannot fly there without permission from the Parish Council, and if I continue they will call the uniform police. It was late and in a secluded area, getting dark and the gentlemen were rather intimidating, so I just packed up and left. I wanted to call their bluff but didn't think it was worth the hassle.

I will write to the police and the Parish Council to report the 'incident' and confirm required permissions but I don't want to cause anyone any offence or discomfort so will find somewhere else to fly. The question is where? There is a lot of guidance about places people think are OK but it would be great if we can positively identify places that are OK, maybe start a list here and if so maybe organise some meets? I am unsure how to identify the land owners to request permission, much of the land is let and not owned by the tenants - any tips would be appreciated.

I'd really like to fly with someone else (my partner isn't interested) - I have Moverios and DJI goggles so a like minded spotter in the area to share and take turns with would be really great.

This forum has been a great support so far in my research and 'flight training' . This is my first post, so I'd just like to say thanks to everyone in the community for the excellent information and discussions.

David

I dont like the sound of that, and don’t think their story sounded right either. I think you’re right, you should contact your local police and the parish - who should be able to point you to the specific bylaws in place should they actually exist. If you don’t get anything back it’s worth contacting Hinckley and Bosworth to see what their position is.

However I think you were right to move on.

Be interested to hear what response you get back from

Last edited:
I live in Essington and we are lucky enough to have quiet a lot of farmers fields around us and i make use of them.

When the weather picks up i will be making a day of going over Cannock Chase.

I dont like the sound of that, and don’t think their story sounded right either. I think you’re right, you should contact your local police and the parish - who should be able to point you to the specific bylaws in place should they actually exist. If you don’t get anything back it’s worth contacting Hinckley and Bosworth to see what their position is.

However I think you were right to move on.

Be interested to hear what response you get back from

Response today!!

Dear David

I apologise for the delay in responding to you.

I raised your query with council and it was agreed that we would recommend that all users of drones within the parish should adhere to the national guidelines, as per your earlier emails.

Whilst we do not have set rules for drone usage within the parish, we would not expect there to be any use of drones (or in fact any type of filming) within our recreation grounds, when there are likely to be children present.

I hope that this answers your query.

Best wishes

Dear Mrs. X.

Thank you so much for this very helpful clarification, and completely agree with your guidance about the use of filming in recreation grounds, when there are likely to be children present. This would of course apply to all forms of photography and photographers and not just to drone pilots. Would it be possible to include something on this topic on the Parish website or newsletter to help inform members of our community?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I'd recommend Sandwell valley. I've started down by the rowing club where it is a bit quieter on a normal day.

Warley Woods have also been great too. It is not a council owned space but a community trust, I've swapped their permission to fly at their events for images they can resell as Christmas cards in the local shop as a fundraiser.
I often have people come over and ask me what I'm up to, but in an inquisitive manner.
I tend to find that if you set you're self up somewhere that is easy for people to see and speak to you they get the message that you have nothing to hide. It's working for me so far.

Reactions: Lrplad
I live near Worcester, does anyone know of any drone members in this area that would care to meet up as a group on evenings for flights or to help a new pilot and where people don't have much going on family commitments etc???

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I too live in the Midlands and am looking for 'approved' places to fly. I bought a Mavic Pro and Air a couple of months ago and am just getting the hang of flying and all of the capabilities and features of my aircraft. I am 57 years old and consider myself to be a responsible person, and want to abide by the law and show consideration for other people while persuing my new hobby. I have started flying in the farm fields behind my house which is in a small village near Hinckley. I launch from a public bridle path and obey the DroneCode and check the area (and file a plan) in NATS Drone Assist ,which simply says follow the drone code.

Several people have asked me what I was doing and I explained and asked if I was causing them any concerns. Everyone has been very interested and was surprisingly supportive ... until last Friday evening when I was approached by 2 men who told me they were off duty police officers but showed no identification and said that I cannot fly there without permission from the Parish Council, and if I continue they will call the uniform police. It was late and in a secluded area, getting dark and the gentlemen were rather intimidating, so I just packed up and left. I wanted to call their bluff but didn't think it was worth the hassle.

I will write to the police and the Parish Council to report the 'incident' and confirm required permissions but I don't want to cause anyone any offence or discomfort so will find somewhere else to fly. The question is where? There is a lot of guidance about places people think are OK but it would be great if we can positively identify places that are OK, maybe start a list here and if so maybe organise some meets? I am unsure how to identify the land owners to request permission, much of the land is let and not owned by the tenants - any tips would be appreciated.

I'd really like to fly with someone else (my partner isn't interested) - I have Moverios and DJI goggles so a like minded spotter in the area to share and take turns with would be really great.

This forum has been a great support so far in my research and 'flight training' . This is my first post, so I'd just like to say thanks to everyone in the community for the excellent information and discussions.

David

Others can correct me if I'm wrong and I know its not a strict law of thumb but I'll be flying mine in public spaces outside of opening hours. What that means is, I have vast areas of land nearby which isn't farmed, nor built on because its flood plain and much as there is a river in the valley, loads of lakes, ponds, marshes there's also huge areas of open to the public land with public footpaths - few of these are paved, just exist on a map. It means I'm not trespassing and drones, they're not banned in these areas. Public parks are different but enquiries suggest - I have yet to apply for one, that it is possible to get a permit to fly from them so my advice to you is stick to areas open to the public, not National Trust land and you should be OK, just watch for things like nature reserves, they can be strictly off limits too to protect nesting sites and stuff like that too.

I've flown my MA over at bosworth battlefield with no-one raising any issues, some of the walkers were even interested in seeing themselves from the air and I emailed a few pics out for some of them. Lots of open space, very little rf congestion as well. Just make sure that you don't get in anyone's way,

Have fun, and I'll see you out there sometime

Ashleigh

Response today!!

Dear David

I apologise for the delay in responding to you.

I raised your query with council and it was agreed that we would recommend that all users of drones within the parish should adhere to the national guidelines, as per your earlier emails.

Whilst we do not have set rules for drone usage within the parish, we would not expect there to be any use of drones (or in fact any type of filming) within our recreation grounds, when there are likely to be children present.

I hope that this answers your query.

Best wishes

Dear Mrs. X.

Thank you so much for this very helpful clarification, and completely agree with your guidance about the use of filming in recreation grounds, when there are likely to be children present. This would of course apply to all forms of photography and photographers and not just to drone pilots. Would it be possible to include something on this topic on the Parish website or newsletter to help inform members of our community?

Thanks again!

Reactions: Davo_101
Hi guys new hear to also from Sutton C area.. still deciding between MPP or MA or wait for new MP2 maybe.. :)

David

Hi,
I'm in Nuneaton and fly at a field near Orton (Twycross area)
It'a club field, Midland Helicopter Club,
New members welcome, I could introduce you if you wish, also I'm pretty sure I can take a guest for a few times
Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• vlcsnap-00012.jpg
    vlcsnap-00012.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
Hi Richard

Sutton park sounds good too and I'm sure there are plenty of take off/landing areas there which are suitable and away from everyone else etc. May even venture up that way myself at some point in the near future.

How did Sutton Park go? I am up at B'ham Saturday, and wanted to fly... but I see Sutton Park you have to be a memebr of teh Sutton Park Model Aero Club...

How did Sutton Park go? I am up at B'ham Saturday, and wanted to fly... but I see Sutton Park you have to be a memebr of teh Sutton Park Model Aero Club...

There's plenty of areas to fly in Sutton Park, you don't need to use the model airfield. I've only seen one person use that area for flying planes, there used to be a good gathering there.

I fly around Longmoor Pool mostly which is near Banners Gate because you can fly low over the marsh field area and you have a good visual line of sight. Also if you go in through Streetly Gate there's a large grassed area where the top end is fairly high up, so you can see a fair distance.

The Barr Beacon is another place I fly locally, which isn't far from Sutton Park. If you fly towards the
Walsall area you can see for a good distance.

There's plenty of areas to fly in Sutton Park, you don't need to use the model airfield. I've only seen one person use that area for flying planes, there used to be a good gathering there.

I fly around Longmoor Pool mostly which is near Banners Gate because you can fly low over the marsh field area and you have a good visual line of sight. Also if you go in through Streetly Gate there's a large grassed area where the top end is fairly high up, so you can see a fair distance.

The Barr Beacon is another place I fly locally, which isn't far from Sutton Park. If you fly towards the
Walsall area you can see for a good distance.

Cheers for that, thanks!

Hi im new to the forums & looking to buy a mavic pro 2 possibly very soon,also pretty new to drones i used to fly an easystar . im from dudley area near birmingham. iv been walking my dog in the enville area alot & noticed some really good spots to fly . Allthough its only 2.5 miles from the bobington airport . not going to be flying much higher than 200 feet because the land dips down low towards himley & il be flying in the oppasite direction to the airport.Also some nice spots in alverley near the river seven i used to go river fishing there. lots of high ground to fly down to the river.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots