DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wet Battery - Corrosion on Terminal - Dispose of the Battery

phneeley

Reactions
Hi all,

Last weekend I was out on a kayak with my Air2S. Some paddle splash got on my bag and apparently seeped to the inside (I guess the bag is not nearly as water reisistant as I had hoped). Upon inspecting the bag later, I noticed a blue and black spot on one of the inside corners where one of the batteries had been stored. Removing the battery, I noticed a similar black spot on the casing and some corrosion at the terminal. My question: is it just better to dispose of the battery and not even give a second thought to trying to clean up the corrosion and use it?

Thanks In advance!
P

2A5A336A-AAD4-4D58-A42B-8058DBEEDE6C.jpeg

@phneeley personally i would not use that battery for flying purely from a safety point of view, which includes causing your drone to fall from the sky, if the battery was compromised due to the water damage

Reactions: phneeley
Your risking a total disconnect in the sky , and you would always have to be watching for the battery to start to swell because the Power button most likely also got water damaged.

Gear to fly your Air 2S in the Rain and Land on the Water
Phantomrain.org

That doesn't look like fresh water issues. Any chance it was sea water? If not sea water, I'm guessing something else got into your bag or the battery itself is leaking.

ps: agree with the others - I'd not fly that battery.

Thanks all! That was my gut feeling, too, but just wanted to make sure before disposing of a $100 battery. Cheers!

I certainly wouldn't fly with it BUT you might want to keep it around for transfers and updates. Mark it bright red or something so you don't mix them up but no sense in putting extra cycles on a good battery when you have access to one you can't fly with.

Just dispose of it. Unless you can "open" the case enough to get at every bit of those contacts, you'll never be able to completely get rid of the corrosion so it is basically not reliable at all now...call it a learning experience since you now know the limitations of your "watertight" bag!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60