DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What’s unique to flying in your area

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Locally, North Pole Alaska does have some restricted areas with both an army base and an Air Force Base nearby but once we leave those two rather small areas it is wilderness for hundreds of miles in all directions so we always do everything we can to fly safely but we are typically fine in remote wilderness locations. Where are you and what is unique about your flying experience in general

Looks like an interesting location but according to Google maps it’s -27 c (-16f) there right now, I hope you have self heating batteries and warm gloves. In Westmount (Montreal) we already have a refrigerated skating rink but no snow. Today there was finally a sprinkling of snow and -4c. M2P pics.

Attachments

• 211124_SkatingRink_307.jpg
    211124_SkatingRink_307.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 211124_SkatingRink_313.jpg
    211124_SkatingRink_313.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 211124_SkatingRink_315.jpg
    211124_SkatingRink_315.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: wjkrysak
Directly over the sub-division where I live and to the east it's unrestricted airspace but about butt ugly scenery. The sunrise and sunsets are pretty fantastic but one gets tired to taking sunrise/sunset pictures and video's of the neighborhood. But just to increase flying skills it's great and I can fly west to where I have my RV stored and check on condition from the front yard but I have to use binoculars to keep it in sight, it's more then half a mile away. :) First photo is over the storage facility and my RV is the long one on the right of the photo up against the building. The other photo is the "hood", ugly as sin for photography right now and stupid me was thinking, gawd it sure seems dark.. I forgot to remove the ND filter..

Attachments

• DJI_0010 (1).JPG
    DJI_0010 (1).JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
  • DJI_0004 (4).JPG
    DJI_0004 (4).JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: wjkrysak
Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Reactions: GFields
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Here in monitor Washington, I have tons of beautiful days to fly. Hardly rains here. The only problem is that there will be about one week in mid summer that is above my drones operating temperature. Our area is also super open and I can fly for miles but we are still in the mountains at the same time. Hard to beat in the way of best places to fly drones.

I can fly most anywhere near me - nearest restricted airspace is over 1 hour away by car, and I have scenes like this. Biggest problem is it's windy, especially now, in the spring.

Photo_6553645_DJI_45_jpg_5556166_0_20211013164014_photo_original.jpgPhoto_6553694_DJI_94_jpg_5492018_0_2021116131634_photo_original.jpg

Looks like an interesting location but according to Google maps it’s -27 c (-16f) there right now, I hope you have self heating batteries and warm gloves. In Westmount (Montreal) we already have a refrigerated skating rink but no snow. Today there was finally a sprinkling of snow and -4c. M2P pics.
-16F ? No problem. I've flown "all day" at that temp and colder. We fly from inside the car and shockingly the battery life, while diminished, is not diminished that badly.

Here in monitor Washington, I have tons of beautiful days to fly. Hardly rains here. The only problem is that there will be about one week in mid summer that is above my drones operating temperature. Our area is also super open and I can fly for miles but we are still in the mountains at the same time. Hard to beat in the way of best places to fly drones.
"the only problem..." Poor boy.. LOL

Reactions: Mavic Merrick
-16F ? No problem. I've flown "all day" at that temp and colder. We fly from inside the car and shockingly the battery life, while diminished, is not diminished that badly.
Inside the car? Hard to maintain VLOS I'd think, but maybe at the north pole it doesn't matter. Tempting thought I'll keep in mind for next winter. Froze my fingers a bit this past winter...

Inside the car? Hard to maintain VLOS I'd think, but maybe at the north pole it doesn't matter. Tempting thought I'll keep in mind for next winter. Froze my fingers a bit this past winter...
That's absolutely true. I always park facing my flight path and it is limiting in that sense. There have been some places I've wanted to fly where that was impossible and that is kind of the end of that if we are only prepared to fly from inside the car but we dress warmly and if need be standing outside for a few min is no big deal. If you live in these parts (I've had -75F at my house...) and let cold temps stop you from enjoying life.... In practical terms, meaning battery life and being able to stand/sit around outside, -30 is probably the limit for me with -20F about all I typically am willing to fly at. We also bring chairs and wear snowmachine bibs and winter jackets and sometimes just sit outside in a chair when it's ... chilly... Adapt or Die :)...or at least...Adapt or sit at home on some forum thinking about flying....The biggest issue is control with gloves and cold hands.

That's absolutely true. I always park facing my flight path and it is limiting in that sense. There have been some places I've wanted to fly where that was impossible and that is kind of the end of that if we are only prepared to fly from inside the car but we dress warmly and if need be standing outside for a few min is no big deal. If you live in these parts (I've had -75F at my house...) and let cold temps stop you from enjoying life.... In practical terms, meaning battery life and being able to stand/sit around outside, -30 is probably the limit for me with -20F about all I typically am willing to fly at. We also bring chairs and wear snowmachine bibs and winter jackets and sometimes just sit outside in a chair when it's ... chilly... Adapt or Die :)...or at least...Adapt or sit at home on some forum thinking about flying....The biggest issue is control with gloves and cold hands.
You're a bit more cold tolerant than me! I've been out flying when it's in the teens, but that's my limit, and only without much wind...but winter is a beautiful time of year, frozen waterfalls, frozen ponds, very monochromatic too. And never crowded outside!

You're a bit more cold tolerant than me! I've been out flying when it's in the teens, but that's my limit, and only without much wind...but winter is a beautiful time of year, frozen waterfalls, frozen ponds, very monochromatic too. And never crowded outside!
I lived in the bush for several years and groceries were a 30mi trip by snowmachine in the winter. 60mph at -40F teaches you that sitting around peacefully at -30F is a piece of cake ;).

I lived in the bush for several years and groceries were a 30mi trip by snowmachine in the winter. 60mph at -40F teaches you that sitting around peacefully at -30F is a piece of cake ;).
Yup. We've often come back from a morning dog walk when it's single digits and sat in the sun on a still day! It's all what you're used to, isn't it? That and proper clothing, like a snowmobile suit for you!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost