DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What’s your vertical (ascent / descent) speed?

Dakrisht

Reactions
Are you guys keeping ascent / descend settings as standard or have you tweaked settings to increase vertical speed?

I ask because I’m seeing around 4.5-5.5mph descents and these are a bit too slow especially when higher up.

What settings, if any, are you using for vertical speed?

Are you guys keeping ascent / descend settings as standard or have you tweaked settings to increase vertical speed?

I ask because I’m seeing around 4.5-5.5mph descents and these are a bit too slow especially when higher up.

I have +9/-9 ms in sport and +6/-7 for normal mode. Obviously I don’t use full throttle up in sport mode unless I absolutely have to but it’s good to know I have it if I need it. I also try to move forward while coming down at 20 mph. Not worried about a vortex but it can it helps with vibrations.

Reactions: Dakrisht

You are never going to get big increase in descent speeds due to the prop's needing to spin to keep the Drone stable. The Prop's act a bit like parachutes when the Mavic is coming down, and because they have a fixed [+'ve] pitch, they are always going to be providing some lift. The only way you could get a very fast [controlled] descent, is with a machine that has variable-pitch prop's that can go negative (i.e. can actually push the drone downwards) - or like those little FPV drones, can flip upside down and fly down.
The extreme would be to shut down the motors and let the Mavic drop - but that has control side-effects, and restart issues!

How do you set vertical speed? Can’t find it I’m Advanced Settings...

You are never going to get big increase in descent speeds due to the prop's needing to spin to keep the Drone stable. The Prop's act a bit like parachutes when the Mavic is coming down, and because they have a fixed [+'ve] pitch, they are always going to be providing some lift. The only way you could get a very fast [controlled] descent, is with a machine that has variable-pitch prop's that can go negative (i.e. can actually push the drone downwards) - or like those little FPV drones, can flip upside down and fly down.
The extreme would be to shut down the motors and let the Mavic drop - but that has control side-effects, and restart issues!

You can set it to go as down fast as 10 m/s (22 MPH) that’s plenty fast. 4 times faster than stock. Looks like it’s in free fall but it’s not. Rotors still going at 1000-3000 RPMs.

How do you set vertical speed? Can’t find it I’m Advanced Settings...
It can't be set through Go4 - there are ways to do it - but you have to 'hack' the Mavic's software and change the base settings. I'm not an expert on that sorry ...

oji195c.jpg

Reactions: PaulDoneDrone
Assistant 1.1.2 in developer mode allows parameter changes on the Mavic 2. All 3 flight modes can be changed and I normally set tripod to ATTI, but manual mode is fun once in a while.
OK - I'll ask the burning question ... How do you set that up??

Interesting.. Does full manual turn off altitude hold as well as position hold?

A few years back, I had a hexacopter that would do this. The controller kept it level, but everything else was up to the pilot. If you let go of the sticks, it would move with the wind and either rise or fall. (The GPS/Baro that kept it at a constant altitude was turned off).

Might be worth playing with.

Interesting.. Does full manual turn off altitude hold as well as position hold?

A few years back, I had a hexacopter that would do this. The controller kept it level, but everything else was up to the pilot. If you let go of the sticks, it would move with the wind and either rise or fall. (The GPS/Baro that kept it at a constant altitude was turned off).

Might be worth playing with.

That’s Atti mode. Manual doesn’t do anything to help you fly. It will flip and fly straight into the ground if you don’t “manually” prevent it from doing that.

If you really want to try it do so in the simulator.

Edit: Well yes it doesn’t have altitude hold or GPS hold but no it won’t keep it level. The flight controller is off completely. If you let go of the sticks it will crash

I wouldn’t recommend anybody do this that isn’t 10000% confident in flying a manual FPV drone. @lolo780 respect for doing that at night. Wow
i asked if it works as betaflight acro or not... in acro it 'memorizes' stick input, so, if you push stick a bit - to add pitch - it adds pitch as much as stick input was given, when you return to middle position, it does not return pitch to original. to remove that input you would need to move stick in the opposite direction to the same amount.
is it what dji does, or does it revert back amount of the given input when you revert stick to the center position?

yes, to fly in acro takes a lot of effort as it is nothing like normal stabilized fly mode.

Manual mode is rate mode. The AC will use the IMU to hold the last pitch and roll setting. If you fly FPV quads you'll be fine with it.

i asked if it works as betaflight acro or not... in acro it 'memorizes' stick input, so, if you push stick a bit - to add pitch - it adds pitch as much as stick input was given, when you return to middle position, it does not return pitch to original. to remove that input you would need to move stick in the opposite direction to the same amount.
is it what dji does, or does it revert back amount of the given input when you revert stick to the center position?

yes, to fly in acro takes a lot of effort as it is nothing like normal stabilized fly mode.
Yes that sounds like it. But also the throttle (left stick) at center is about 50% throttle up so if you want it to hover you have to hold the stick down to a point where the throttle cancels out gravity without holding it down too much which will make it fall out of the sky.

If you pitch or roll you’ll have to give to more throttle to remain at that altitude. When pushing back on the right stick to come back to hover you’ll need to hold throttle down again to get it to resist gravity.

I’m sure you can find things on manual mode if you google it. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you already have practice with RC heli or something like that. There’s an added amount of difficultly because there is no trim on a DJI controller.

The Inspire 2 has Manual mode as one of its switchable flight modes on the remote. It’s just like that.

When we say “manual” we mean it. There’s no safety net the drone will be happy to fly directly down into the ground if you do it wrong

Yes that sounds like it. But also the throttle (left stick) at center is about 50% throttle up so if you want it to hover you have to hold the stick down to a point where the throttle cancels out gravity without holding it down too much which will make it fall out of the sky.

If you pitch or roll you’ll have to give to more throttle to remain at that altitude. When pushing back on the right stick to come back to hover you’ll need to hold throttle down again to get it to resist gravity.

I’m sure you can find things on manual mode if you google it. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you already have practice with RC heli or something like that. There’s an added amount of difficultly because there is no trim on a DJI controller.

The Inspire 2 has Manual mode as one of its switchable flight modes on the remote. It’s just like that.

When we say “manual” we mean it. There’s no safety net the drone will be happy to fly directly down into the ground if you do it wrong
I have 11 fpv racing drones i can fly in acro :), so, for sure mavic is not the best one for that fun. Armattan is way sturdier.

I have 11 fpv racing drones i can fly in acro :), so, for sure mavic is not the best one for that fun. Armattan is way sturdier.

Part of my explanation is so that people reading this that have no idea what manual mode is or even what we are talking about don’t do this without knowing what they are getting into.

It wasn’t because I didn’t think you could handle it ;)

For anyone trying DJI manual mode, if you lose orientation just flip back to P mode and the AC will right itself and hold position and height.

I have a couple of these Blade Nanos which I highly recommend.

Reactions: brett8883
For anyone trying DJI manual mode, if you lose orientation just flip back to P mode and the AC will right itself and hold position and height.

I have a couple of these Blade Nanos which I highly recommend.

my personal favorite this winter was this one:
EMAX TinyHawk Micro Brushless FPV Drone (BNF)

biggest difference is - it uses real betaflight software, connects to xlite taranis with no issues, and i can use fatsharks with it. all works fine 'as is'. and, it`s very nimble and safe to fly inside and outside.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada