DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS TO A DRONE AFTER A WATER EVENT

Drone-Retriever

Reactions
This post is to educate and correct many incorrect assumptions made by individuals that don’t know about electricity as it relates to a drone making contact with water.
This information is provided by:
Drone-Retriever.com products which are designed for drone Rescue, NOT Recovery.
Rescue = save
Recovery = retrieval

Many people incorrectly assume that a drone that lands in water is destroyed due to the effects of electrical shorting. That is not the case and it will be explained below.
Additionally we will address what to do after a water event.

When a drone lands in salt water there are FIVE concerns a drone owner needs to be aware of:
DIRT and DEPTH, SALT WATER, TIME & CLEANING.

DIRT & DEPTH
Ocean water and lake/river water is not clean. There are many small particles of various organic and inorganic matter that will find its way into moving parts like motors, gimbals and fans. The biggest negative effect will occur if a drone sinks to the bottom where the point of impact will stir up everything at the bottom. Keeping a drone at the surface eliminates this issue.
As the drone sinks the water pressure will dramatically increase. This pressure will cause water and dirt to enter every microscopic opening as the air is forced out or compressed due to the increased water pressure.
Seals that are designed for normal operation will maintain their integrity when the drone is kept at the surface however this is not the case as depth increases. The greater the depth the greater the negative effects of pressure.
The pressure at the bottom combined with the stirred up dirt will facilitate the dirt being forced into smaller and smaller areas of the drone’s moving parts like motors, gimbals and cooling fans.
The effects of dirt is further addressed in the cleaning section below

SALT WATER:

Salt water IS NOT an ACID it is a MILD corrosive liquid.
Salt water or fresh water will not cause anything to electrically short out as the voltages within the drone electronics are too low to conduct through water.
Circuit Boards:
Most products like drones that are designed to operate outdoors have their electronic circuit boards protected with a thin blanket conformal coating on the entire circuit board and then an extra thicker coat on the soldered connections. This clear conformal coating protects the electrical circuits from high humidity and condensation. Additionally it protects the electrical system from salt water.
When flying near a coastline or over water the air is usually very moist and salty. Keep in mind that most high quality drones are designed to operate in moist environments without any issues.
Motors:
The motors that operate the props are made with anodized aluminum housings and copper wires along with bushings. The anodizing process creates a protective coating on the surface of the aluminum. The motor is made with a copper wire which is also coated with a protective coating primarily to keep it from shorting as it is wound very tight. Finally the motor is made with bushings at the top and bottom of the motor that allow it to spin freely. These parts are typically plastic and metal such that they do not need lubrication.
The motors are well protected such that when a drone lands in salt water that protective layer will protect the motors from short term corrosion. Keeping the motors at the surface will eliminate the issue of dirt and sand getting into the motors between the moving parts
Battery:
Most if not all drones operate with Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries. These batteries are constructed with multiple flat cells stacked on top of each other. Each cell is 3.7vDC. The battery cells are sealed in a plastic envelope. The only exposed metal parts from each cell are the leads. Most batteries consist of multiple cells connected in series and then sealed into an outer plastic envelop. This battery assembly is then installed into a hard plastic housing which makes up the battery pack. Water cannot get into the individual batteries but can get into the battery pack. Inside the battery pack is usually a circuit board that is used to control charging and monitor each cells voltage and temperature. Battery packs are usually sealed and may not fill with water if kept at the surface, but if allowed to sink to the bottom of the ocean then water impregnation into the battery pack circuitry will occur due to the higher external pressure.
Cameras:
The camera on a drone is a sealed unit which is required to keep it from experiencing condensation on the lens when moved from warm to cold environments or vice versa.
That seal is not designed to withstand the water pressure that would be found at the bottom of the ocean. However, if the drone is kept at the surface of the water the seals will be fine.
Gimbals:
Gimbals are made with elecro-magnetic motors. Like regular motors the components used are similar to those used for the propeller motors, keeping these at the surface and not exposed to the water pressure and dirt at the bottom of the ocean will help them survive a water event.

TIME & CLEANING
If a drone is recovered within hours not days and Cleaned according to this procedure everything should be fine. If it takes days or weeks to recover the drone then the corrosive effects from salt water will be evident.
If drone has been on the bottom even for a short time then cleaning the movable parts will be critical and may not be possible.
Immediately upon removal from the water:
Remove the Battery & SD card.
DO NOT spin the props or move the gimbals.
You must keep your unit wet with salt water until you can get to a bucket or plastic bag of fresh water.
Reason is that when salt water dries it will leave a residue that will not come off without scrubbing. That residue will be corrosive over time and it will have a negative effect on performance.
Put all parts into bucket of fresh water and aggressively shake the parts while they are under water. While shaking ensure that you rotate the drone under water so that every internal surface of the drone points upward while shaking. Then removed from water and allow the water to drain while rotating the drone. This will insure that fresh water gets into every open air pocket inside the drone. Additionally it is recommended to do this with at least 2 buckets of fresh water. Second washing is needed to insure that all salt water has been diluted and removed.
Fill a spray bottle that will shoot a stream of liquid with fresh water. Use this spray system to clean the motors by spraying between the stationary and moving parts of the motor. After spraying slowly turn the prop motor while spraying. Do this also for the gimbals. Also spray the USB port and any other electrical connector ports. Suggest using a vacuum cleaner to suck any water out of these ports.
Battery Cleaning: Submerge battery and look for a point where air bubbles rise from an edge. Mark that edge. Turn battery such that the edge with bubbles is pointing downward and look for bubbles on the now top edge. Mark that edge. Submerge the battery holding it so that either surface with bubbles is pointing up and hold in that position until no bubbles are seen (battery housing is full of water). Shake battery then drain from either edge that had bubbles coming from it. Repeat filling and draining procedure.
Using the spray bottle clean the battery contacts.
Drying.
Method #1: Heat your kitchen oven to 100°F (37.8°C) place drone in oven for 4-6 hours. Turn the drone so that all surfaces point upward. Battery will take much longer (days) to dry due to the relatively sealed nature of the battery housing. It is recommended to retire this battery for several months finding a place where the battery will be kept warm to facilitate thorough drying. You can discharge and recharge the battery which will assist in drying.
Method #2: Procure enough Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9% about 2 quarts and submerge the drone in the alcohol rotating the drone so that every internal surface becomes wet. Remove and let alcohol drain from the drone. The drone will quickly evaporate the alcohol if placed in a warm environment. As for the battery you will need to fill the battery with alcohol and then drain it. Heat an oven like Method #1 and place the battery in that oven with the fill edge pointing up. Allow it to heat for 2-4 hours to evaporate the alcohol.
Batteries from a water event should not be used until it can be determine that the battery charges and discharges safely.

Thanks for the very detailed procedure. It is good to know, but I hope to never use it!

You will never know 100 percent if you have gotten all the salt/saltwater residue flushed/rinsed out unless you crack open body.....and pull the pcb's .....

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
thank you for a wonderful and detailed explanation, of how to rescue your drone from a water event ,but i can assure you that putting a battery that has been covered in alcohol into a hot oven for several hours is not something i would be doing any time soon,and cooking the drone for several hours till tender,does not seem to be a very good idea as well, have you done these procedures yourself i wonder anyway good luck with it

This post is to educate and correct many incorrect assumptions made by individuals that don’t know about electricity as it relates to a drone making contact with water....
Interesting post and I appreciate your effort. I take it the information is based on experience?
...You must keep your unit wet with salt water until you can get to a bucket or plastic bag of fresh water...
You should clarify to only use salt water if it was retrieved from salt water and no fresh water was available.
...Salt water or fresh water will not cause anything to electrically short out as the voltages within the drone electronics are too low to conduct through water...
Good to know. I was under the impression that since the gaps between conductors on a circuit board are getting so small that salt water or other contaminates in the water would conduct enough to cause problems.
EDIT: You did mention there was a thin blanket conformal coating on the entire circuit board to protect it. Hopefully it will.
...Heat your kitchen oven to 100°F (37.8°C) place drone in oven for 4-6 hours...
I definitely would not recommend using a gas oven due to the open flame being a possible ignition source for the alcohol.
...cooking the drone for several hours till tender,does not seem to be a very good idea as well...
At 100 degrees the oven would be more of a dehydrator and should not harm any components.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobec231
I’m not convinced that would work. I just lost a drone In The water. Floated down a channel for 800 feet or so in three inches of water. Battery was still on when I pulled it out. Fan was toast. It turned in and the motors moved. But it was dead. No communication. Refresh to the rescue. Water is evil but sustains all life.
skydog

Reactions: old man mavic
Thank you for sharing this with us. Very interesting read indeed, and probably applies to anything electronic really.

Your prospects of long term reliability following immersion of electronics in salt water aren’t good even following meticulous cleaning operations. Of the suggestions you offer the 2nd option using IPA is the only one with any real prospects of success. You need to fully disassemble the device and manually scrub all components and connectors with a soft brush. Photo developing trays are good for immersing circuit boards. The water rinsing alone is a waste of time. Salts will bond to exposed metal instantly and can’t be satisfactory removed by simple rinsing in fresh water. The PCB’s may be coated however the connectors offer no ingress protection. Long term failure is almost guaranteed.

Reactions: Flycaster
It goes without saying that if you have DJI Refresh program then by all means, use it. Those of us that don’t will need all the best possible second class fixit remedies. In either case, you do need to retrieve the drone. And who doesn’t fly over water. It seems there may be a market for an aerodynamic floatation device. Not a skid, maybe a water activated belt. Thanks to the OP for hope in our recovery.

sorry, but don't mean to be rude...

this guys is just trying to plug his website and sell "his drone retriever, a c02 activated buoy.....
checkout his handle...
all this guy did was copy his text from his website...

freegifmaker.me_2dwTM.gif

Not a DJI, this is an FPV race drone I built, but they're related.

You can see from this shot I hit a tree, rip the ND filter off the Gopro, and land face down in a pond. Almost 8 hours of searching before I found it because the trees were so thick I didn't think it could make it to the water from the path I was flying.

The logic board and the electronic speed controllers were fried. The FPV camera, radio and video transmitters as well as all 4 motors were perfectly intact, again, this is after 8 hours submerged in scummy pondwater.

I rinsed it all off, took apart everything I could, put wd40 on the boards and motors to push the water out, and rinsed it again in rubbing alcohol to clean the WD40 off. Let it dry for 2 days, re-oil the motors and moing parts and you're golden. I've flown the parts hard for over a year now with no issue.

Contrary to what you read above, you should NEVER charge or mess with a battery that's been submerged in water for any length of time. They can be dangerous, catch fire, or possibly damage your craft, and the risk isn't worth it for the money. DJI smart batteries may have a function that I don't know about, if anyone knows I'd be interested to learn.

Your prospects of long term reliability following immersion of electronics in salt water aren’t good even following meticulous cleaning operations. Of the suggestions you offer the 2nd option using IPA is the only one with any real prospects of success. You need to fully disassemble the device and manually scrub all components and connectors with a soft brush. Photo developing trays are good for immersing circuit boards. The water rinsing alone is a waste of time. Salts will bond to exposed metal instantly and can’t be satisfactory removed by simple rinsing in fresh water. The PCB’s may be coated however the connectors offer no ingress protection. Long term failure is almost guaranteed.
As someone who has put a drone into salt water the method described is in fact good. I never thought to use alcohol to dry it quick though.
Try this get a clear glass, fill it with water then add several table spoons of sea salt to it and mix. Now dump out the salt water and fill with fresh water. Swish it around then dump. Fill it again and swish and dump let air dry. Look at the walls of the glass they will be crystal clear with NO salt residue.

Reactions: garethparkes
As someone who has put a drone into salt water the method described is in fact good. I never thought to use alcohol to dry it quick though.
Try this get a clear glass, fill it with water then add several table spoons of sea salt to it and mix. Now dump out the salt water and fill with fresh water. Swish it around then dump. Fill it again and swish and dump let air dry. Look at the walls of the glass they will be crystal clear with NO salt residue.
Try this- use a bare metal vessel rather than a glass and place it inside another container with only a few holes in it to facilitate the rinsing operation.

Reactions: Flycaster
Interesting post and I appreciate your effort. I take it the information is based on experience?

You should clarify to only use salt water if it was retrieved from salt water and no fresh water was available.

Good to know. I was under the impression that since the gaps between conductors on a circuit board are getting so small that salt water or other contaminates in the water would conduct enough to cause problems.
EDIT: You did mention there was a thin blanket conformal coating on the entire circuit board to protect it. Hopefully it will.

I definitely would not recommend using a gas oven due to the open flame being a possible ignition source for the alcohol.

At 100 degrees the oven would be more of a dehydrator and should not harm any components.
Thanks for your insight we will incorporate it in the website copy.
Yes it is based on experience.
Short story. When testing the product we hired a videography guy to video deliberate water crashes. In that process 1 day we did lake crashes of both the Mavic and Phantom both units without cameras/gimbals. We were able to do each drone twice. We had 2 coolers with fresh water and 1 big plastic bag filled with alcohol. Both drones were immediately rescued from the water and washed with fresh water. Then washed in alcohol in the zip lock bag. They were then placed on the floor of a honda minivan and the heat and fan was set to max. The AC was also set to max. The vehicle was run for over 1 hour with the drones being turned and shaken about every 15 min. We then verified that nothing dripped out from the drone and did a 2nd crash of each unit. We repeated the same process after the 2nd flight, except we did not use the heat to dry the alcohol as were not flying again until the next day. The next day we did the same thing at the ocean with the same two drones. Also we used the same batteries but did not wash or clean the batteries except for a quick spray of alcohol upon retrieval. The batteries had all mating edges sealed with E6000 acrylic adhesive and used silicone vacuum grease on the battery contacts and on/off button. The worst part of the whole 2 day event was that our video guy on the last crash of the Phantom decided to wade out to about 3-4 feet deep and while filming he and his camera got knocked over from a wave and we lost the video and he destroyed his camera.

If my UAS takes a saltwater bath it's going to be DOA and no amount of effort can save it.

Stopped reading when the author implied anything but assured failure is possible.

Reactions: Meta4 and Flycaster
"The worst part of the whole 2 day event was that our video guy on the last crash of the Phantom decided to wade out to about 3-4 feet deep and while filming he and his camera got knocked over from a wave and we lost the video and he destroyed his camera."

Why did your method not work for his camera? Or did you even try it on his camera?
And what about the video card in the camera???

lost it all....of course ... just another plug for his product and website...

Thanks for your insight we will incorporate it in the website copy.
Yes it is based on experience.
Short story. When testing the product we hired a videography guy to video deliberate water crashes. In that process 1 day we did lake crashes of both the Mavic and Phantom both units without cameras/gimbals. We were able to do each drone twice. We had 2 coolers with fresh water and 1 big plastic bag filled with alcohol. Both drones were immediately rescued from the water and washed with fresh water. Then washed in alcohol in the zip lock bag. They were then placed on the floor of a honda minivan and the heat and fan was set to max. The AC was also set to max. The vehicle was run for over 1 hour with the drones being turned and shaken about every 15 min. We then verified that nothing dripped out from the drone and did a 2nd crash of each unit. We repeated the same process after the 2nd flight, except we did not use the heat to dry the alcohol as were not flying again until the next day. The next day we did the same thing at the ocean with the same two drones. Also we used the same batteries but did not wash or clean the batteries except for a quick spray of alcohol upon retrieval. The batteries had all mating edges sealed with E6000 acrylic adhesive and used silicone vacuum grease on the battery contacts and on/off button. The worst part of the whole 2 day event was that our video guy on the last crash of the Phantom decided to wade out to about 3-4 feet deep and while filming he and his camera got knocked over from a wave and we lost the video and he destroyed his camera.
The loss of the camera seems to evidence the well known effect of salt water on electronics.

The reason insurance companies almost always treat vehicles and other items containing electronics as a total loss or that manufacturers won’t warrant a repair (if they are prepared to proceed with it) when salt water immersion is experienced isn’t because the item can’t be brought back to working condition. The reality is almost without exception that future failure will occur.

This isn’t to say that your product doesn’t serve an important purpose. Two obvious and very real advantages being the opportunity to recover images/footage and retrieval of the drone to satisfy the terms of DJI care refresh policy. To argue that your suggested methods of negating the effects of salt water ingress prove sufficient to negate device failure (including that sustained at a later time but directly related) would put you at odds with the well established evidence. A drone immersed in salt water should be considered unserviceable- the risk of later failure and the consequences should make that obvious.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocko42