DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Altitude do you fly at?

Wille

Reactions
*see Above
I was playing golf the other day and someone was following us around with a Platinum.
It was kind of Funny, but got old after about 5 mins.

It was probably some kid who got a Mavic for his B'day (lucky kid) and was just having fun, but I couldn't
deny it was ferking annoying having a drone at even 30 metres away.

Me personally, I dont like people to even know there is a drone above except at takeoff/landing.
What do you think?

*see Above
I was playing golf the other day and someone was following us around with a Platinum.
It was kind of Funny, but got old after about 5 mins.

It was probably some kid who got a Mavic for his B'day (lucky kid) and was just having fun, but I couldn't
deny it was ferking annoying having a drone at even 30 metres away.

Me personally, I dont like people to even know there is a drone above except at takeoff/landing.
What do you think?

200 around my house. Usually 20 feet above the highest tree around

Yea im usually around 200 ft unless a perticular mission requires otherwise

Well living in the Desert I can fly lower without to much worry about hitting anything. I mostly fly 50 to 100 feet unless I want a shot from high above. If I'm in NE then 200 feet or more.

I have a lot of open space too, often fly 10-20’ above the ground for certain types of images, and 100-200’ for others. Definitely fly above 250’ up to just below 400’ if people are close by.

Reactions: razoraerial
I have 15 acres in the country with a pine forest. I either fly low at 3 to 20 feet, or I’m at least 120 ft to clear the trees. If I go beyond my property, I’m usually at 250 to 400 ft. Never over a neighbor’s house.

In a public place, where there’s few people, I just stay laterally as far away as I can and still get my shots. Heights depend on the subject. In certain situations where there are too many people that could show up, I just don’t fly.

When it’s not my UAV, I find it annoying.

Reactions: Mavrick77
What is it you find annoying? Not trying to be a smart ***, but i find, as i know what the capabilities of the camera are, i am not bothered seeing other people fly their drones. Of course if someone was flying directly over me and following me it might be different, but never had that happen

Reactions: Drgnfli
What is it you find annoying? Not trying to be a smart ***, but i find, as i know what the capabilities of the camera are, i am not bothered seeing other people fly their drones. Of course if someone was flying directly over me and following me it might be different, but never had that happen

What’s funny is I’m probably more sensitive to the sound of flying things now than before I started flying. I never ever even once noticed planes or helicopters flying over before I started flying the Mavic, but now that I do I realize they are everywhere and I can’t understand how people are annoyed by them especially at night.

I bet it’s just matter of time as people get use to them that it becomes just another sound we don’t consciously notice like a motorcycle or truck driving by.

In my experience with flying close enough for people to hear most of the time they don’t realize it’s a drone until I come in to land. I’ve had people say, “I thought there were bees swarming around” and are relived to realize it was a drone hah

Reactions: charliesRig
This was actually the first time I had seen a DJI Drone out alone, the owner not close to me or in sight sorta thing.

I knew if there was ever a time to relax, he's a fellow flyer, even if he is recording it's not with any Focus/intent.
But I can't deny it was annoying to me too.

Like I said this guy was hovering, and i was trying to concentrate on a bogey, so maybe I overeacted.

The only hovering I really do is getting some altitude from takeoff to focus the camera

I guess we aren’t as saturated in Australia as the U.S.
I’ve only seen a mavic once up the north coast. Didn’t see the pilot anywhere and I’m sure it was BVLOS. But I didn’t let it stress me

Reactions: Drgnfli
I would have no problems if someone was flying a drone at a reasonable distance and height, say at least 50’. But being followed is another matter. The kid will learn the do’s and dont’s of drone flying with the passage of time, i’m sure.
The noise would be more of a concern to me to be honest. It’s like a constant reminder it’s still there.

I've found 100' to 150' is high enough to keep people on the ground from hearing the props as they pass by. Like most of you, I don't hover over anyone. I think people get creeped out thinking there is a camera in the sky recording their every move. As far as the golf course goes, I have a hard enough time concentrating on the game without another distraction helping me miss that 6 footer.

Reactions: razoraerial
In the AZ desert 25-200 ft depending on my subject, sometimes lower. In town or pine forest area 150-399ft.

In St. Augustine, FL I typically fly 50 above highest tree which puts me 150'. I fly the beach a lot and fly in a way that that does NOT make any individual feel like they might be the "subject" of the drone. On occasion I have asked people if I could film an activity they're engaged in, i.e. fisherman. The St Augustine pier is a big attraction to fly around and is a little more difficult to fly "stealthy" because there are a lot of neat angles and perspectives for snapshots and video. I try my best to fly with the attitude that my right to fly ends where another's right to peace and privacy begins.

Reactions: mikemoose55
It depends where I am Flying. I NEVER fly over people no matter how High I go.

Generally 50 to 400 ft. I chose places where people are not present, not directly blow my Bird.

If I need photos or Video of people I use my Osmo on a telescoping pole, or put my Bird on a pole

when ever this is necessary. Keeps me out of trouble.

I often fly low over water, but if I'm near people, animals, vehicles or boats, I stay high enough or far enough away that I shouldn't be a bother. Generally for me, that means at least 100' away. BTW, I just got a Mavic 2 Zoom so that I can get closer without getting too close

Reactions: NetApex
Flying low over water, out into the Ocean especially, is really Fun & makes for great footage.

Now i think about it, the only time i've followed someone close, was flying out to sea, passing
a Jetskier, all by his lonesome, and we had some Fun racing side by side.
He gave us a wave, so I assume he was having fun anyway.

goes without saying who was faster :p

I fly at many different altitudes depending on the subject matter. For instance I flew over a frozen lake in Alaska as flying low and fast over a frozen lake just looks spectacular.

Other times I want a nice birds eye shot over tree's covered with snow so I get to the tree tops. So approx 100 feet and shoot straight down as I move forward.
Its totally situational.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143