DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What can happen when you Think you're watching

TuT

Reactions
What can happen when you Think you're watching!
I didn't even see this on my Note 9 phone. The screen is just too small. Also, the live feed froze for a moment as I approached the wires, due to the high voltage interference.
I didn't even notice until I watched the video later.

After more reviews of the logs on my phone it seems my Mavic did a RTH after stopping due to signal loss. How on earth did I miss those wires? The Mavic does do a small upward movement as it approaches the wires. I wonder if obstacle avoidance saved my life??

Last edited:
Wow that was close. Twice I almost hit wires that I didn't see when I inspected the area before flight. What saved me was that I was using a Crystalsky monitor which still gave me a bright clear view in the mid afternoon sun.

Loved the background music, very appropriate.

That's the issue when using a small phone screen....you can't really see everything.
My eye's is not the way it used to, so now I am flying my MP w/ iPad 2018 w/ 9.7' screen.
You're LUCKY!

Loved the background music, very appropriate.

I second that emotion!

Tut: I don’t think anyone could get closer than that, holy smoke, they even scared me when they popped up out of nowhere! Definitely go buy a lottery ticket. :)

What can happen when you Think you're watching!
I didn't even see this on my Note 9 phone. The screen is just too small. Also, the live feed froze for a moment as I approached the wires, due to the high voltage interference.
I didn't even notice until I watched the video later.

HA! Time to buy a lottery ticket.

I had a similar approach 3 years ago with my P3. But I saw the next mast at the side oft the screen and realized cables must be close, stopped and turned around. Maybe 1m before the cables as I saw later in the HD video.
But this was nothing compared to your luck, you won!!!!!!

Where were those wires going to anyway? Seagull's nest?

I know, I was flying pretty high at the time, you wouldn't expect wires right up there across a 2KM wide bay.!?
It does seem the Mavic sensors saw the wires at the last moment, but they stopped the quad too late and almost made me drift back into them. By the time I was this close I had no FPV vision, my screen frozen. They look like 11,000v cables, way too much interference. I didn't know until I got home and viewed the footage.

Almost another one of those "My Mavic Just Dropped Out Of The Sky" posts.

Now that was a twitchy sphincter moment for sure [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I never bother looking for power lines. When friends and I used to fly ultralights years ago and we flew very low, I quickly discovered that it was useless to look for wires. If you do see them it’s usually too late. Instead look for the poles/towers or masts's as Lodi mentioned above. In between the poles/towers are the wires, you’ll find it’s much easier to avoid wires using this method.

A VFR Sectional chart would have alerted the PIC that those wires were there.

I am a newbie. I have also been an instrument rated pilot since 1998 and have held the private rating since 1993.
The rules state that you, the PIC are responsible for the safe outcome of your flight and that you should use every available source of information to make it so.

I approach the operation of my drone the same way I would any flight. I even get the nervous sensation just before a flight like I did with a full-size aircraft. I've been carrying the NY Sectional map (9.00/Amazon) and I check the area I am in to see if there is anything I should be aware of.
A Sectional will show exactly what obstacles are in the area and exactly what the height is. They are an incredible source of information... And they would have shown the location of those wires.

A VFR Sectional is a great arrow to have in one's quiver... and they look great hanging on the wall. This is not a criticism of the OP because you make the go/no-go decision based on all the available information at that time. That shot looked great BTW.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
A VFR Sectional chart would have alerted the PIC that those wires were there.

I am a newbie. I have also been an instrument rated pilot since 1998 and have held the private rating since 1993.
The rules state that you, the PIC are responsible for the safe outcome of your flight and that you should use every available source of information to make it so.

I approach the operation of my drone the same way I would any flight. I even get the nervous sensation just before a flight like I did with a full-size aircraft. I've been carrying the NY Sectional map (9.00/Amazon) and I check the area I am in to see if there is anything I should be aware of.
A Sectional will show exactly what obstacles are in the area and exactly what the height is. They are an incredible source of information... And they would have shown the location of those wires.

A VFR Sectional is a great arrow to have in one's quiver... and they look great hanging on the wall..

Hi, m chaussettes, I take no offence to your post. If you could help other pilots locate these charts I'm sure it would make our hobby safer. As I stated, I never saw the wires on my 6.4" FPV screen, A: because of the size, and B: due to interference from the High Tension cables washing out my FPV view (the Mavic even went into RTH right after the near collision) So any mapping of these cable locations would make all our flights safer.

Any resources you can provide for Pre Flight Checks can only make our hobby safer.

Cheers, TuT

Back in the day...DJI F550.

Not a whole lot of sympathy there mate. The wires were right in front of you, and you were standing right there.
Still, I hope the snow made the landing a soft one Thumbswayup

I don't know if I can completely agree. The FPV was rather murky and perspective at VLOS can be quite deceiving. When I first officially got my P3A for Christmas, I crashed it into my wires the day after, thinking I had gotten past them from my driveway into the street when I then ascended. Turns out I was right under them. My error no doubt, but can easily happen.

Charley Brown had trees after his kite, we have power wires.

Reactions: Niblett
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803