DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Do You Do if You See Commercial Enterprise Flying Without Part 107 Certificate

What Do You Do if You See Commercial Enterprise Flying Without Part 107 Certificate

• I report them to the FAA

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • I say nothing

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • I confront them

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I don’t police other’s drone flying

Votes: 33 50.0%

• Total voters

blabel75

Reactions
I recently obtained my part 107, yet I know of several commercial enterprises, either YouTube channels or companies taking photos for websites that are flying without Part 107 certification. I am just curious what you do. Do you call the FAA? Just ignore it and worry about yourself? Or do you confront them (may not be in person, but perhaps send them an email or DM)

Just kind of frustrating to know that I forked out over $300 and many hours to do this under the confines of the regulation when others just don't bother. One of these enterprises can't claim ignorance because they keep saying they are considering getting their Part 107.

I recently obtained my part 107, yet I know of several commercial enterprises, either YouTube channels or companies taking photos for websites that are flying without Part 107 certification. I am just curious what you do. Do you call the FAA? Just ignore it and worry about yourself? Or do you confront them (may not be in person, but perhaps send them an email or DM)

Just kind of frustrating to know that I forked out over $300 and many hours to do this under the confines of the regulation when others just don't bother. One of these enterprises can't claim ignorance because they keep saying they are considering getting their Part 107.
It sucks but I say live and let live unless they are your direct competition. I have found that most folks that do things illegally don't last long and that another one will always spring up in their place.

If you recall there is a questions on the test regarding if you were to break the law of the FAA should you contact the FAA an let them know you broke it. The answer was No , that if they decided you broke the law they would come to you.

I kind of follow this as the guidelines they set fourth. So my vote is do nothing. When the FAA is ready to make a move they have 5000 YT channels they can start with.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

I treat it like I treat driving violations. I see a lot of broken traffic laws most days, and some are seriously stupid, but I can only think of one I've reported in the past 30 years. I only report someone when I feel they're seriously endangering public safety, AND I think there's a reasonable chance my report will result in an officer looking into the situation.

I've never checked the licenses of motorists or pilots.

But everyone gets to make up their own mind on this one. If someone is blatantly breaking the rules and offering to fly for hire, while publicly admitting they don't have a sUAS pilot certificate, I see nothing at all wrong with making the FAA aware. From what I understand, in such situations the FAA tends to be more than reasonable, as long as the person they're dealing with is somewhat reasonable. They usually start by gently reminding the violator of the rules. They'll normally give someone the opportunity to get a license and avoid a fine.

The official FAA stance is educate first, report if necessary.

The FAA is all about education and safety. They'd like all aviation communities to self police (unless obviously egregious), and then report to FSDO if there is attitude or safety reasons. The last thing they want to have people do is report everyone just because they are underbidding them and don't have a 107.

If the person doesn't care, or is doing something dangerous in the NAS, then you need to bring the FAA into the equation. Then FSDO will check up on things, and reach out to the offending person and/or FAAST Drone Pro for education of the offending person.

I couldn't hazard a guess on how many people have reached out to me to report people. And the number I've actually reported can probably be counted on one hand. And each of those have only been for attitude.

enterprise what difference is there except add thremal i fly the southwest desert and sometimes i don,t see a soul for hundred miles if i were flying in albuquerque i,d get the 107 and as you said when time allows i fully intend too!

Do nothing, not your job... or do you turn in everybody that you see doing something you think is wrong? they have a name for that... tattletale.
Exactly - there is too many people playing “police” if they not bother you, why report them ? If u are a driver u see problems everyday, it would be a fulltime job playing “police”. Mind u own business and everything is cool.
Of course if things are done that are dangerous then it’s another matter..

@blabel75 ,whether or not they have a part 107,is up to them ,in the fullness of time they will come unstuck one day, and then they will have to face the consequences of their actions

Reactions: Desert Sands

Just curious to know, how you know these videos on Youtube etc are not done by Part 107 pilots. Trust me, I feel your pain and can relate. But just curious to know. Thanks

Reactions: Jsaint
I'm in the 'live and let live' camp, it's not my job to to enforce the law - if I'd wanted to do that I'd have joined the Police Force (after all that's what they are for). Or do we all start reporting speeding motorists, parking offences, people dropping litter, etc?

Reactions: Jsaint

I can't believe this was asked.. Do we really need Drone Karen's doing the FAA's work? Come on Man! $300 is just a small part of your investment in this hobby. Next you'll be asking if folks have a drivers license or not.

Leave em' alone. It's not your business. Unless of course something is being done terribly wrong. I wouldn't want to see someone needlessly hurt.

Reactions: fd123_2000
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest