DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do YOU do?

Droning on and on...

Reactions
I have several DJI camera drones, have sold others. I also have the FPV and the Avata.

I got the FMC with every one. However, only the FPV and Avata regularly consume more than one battery on an outing. Partly because the batteries don't last as long, but mostly because for me flying camera drones, staying VLOS, is almost as boring as watching paint dry.

So, I pretty much never use all this flight capacity I have with camera drones. Often I don't even use an entire battery on a flight.

So, what do others do with their camera drones that's so fun you're blow through all the FMC batteries when out just for some fun flying?

These days, I almost never fly a camera drone "for fun". It isn't, for me.

Reactions: thispilothere
I have several DJI camera drones, have sold others. I also have the FPV and the Avata.

I got the FMC with every one. However, only the FPV and Avata regularly consume more than one battery on an outing. Partly because the batteries don't last as long, but mostly because for me flying camera drones, staying VLOS, is almost as boring as watching paint dry.

So, I pretty much never use all this flight capacity I have with camera drones. Often I don't even use an entire battery on a flight.

So, what do others do with their camera drones that's so fun you're blow through all the FMC batteries when out just for some fun flying?

I don't know the last time I flew for "fun" all my gear and drones are used 100% for work.

I fly for Fun ALL THE TIME. I actually enjoy it and haven't been burned out of the sport by working in it JUST LIKE I DID with Golf. Working in that industry for over 30 years really had me not wanting to play... Not until after I retired from working full time did that interest start to return.
Flying drones is something I enjoy as well as learning how to edit video. It's all about learning for me....

I plan a day out flying to include a few locations, all my drones have 3 batteries and I choose which drone I use by researching where I am going on Google Earth. This enables me to fly 3 batteries down to a safe storage level, I live in Wales in the U.K. and we have more than 450 Castles to visit, lots of Defensive forts, Manor House’s , really spoilt for choice. Cheers Len

I think most UA pilots go through a couple different phases. The 'thrill of flight' is usually the first, and for some; it stays longer than others. I flew RC forever so when drones popped up I found them to be just a novelty, but when the three axis gimbal and the ability to see what you are shooting (screen) evolved; it changed the game for me since I was into photography and video long before drones.

The second phase of a camera drone is one that I find the most satisfying now, and that is the camera. I rarely if ever just charge and go fly for no reason. Even if BVLOS was allowed or I had a waiver it would not change the fact that flying a drone without purpose does not interest me. Having said that I do still take a each of my drones out about once every week or two if they're not in use, just to stay current with them

what is FMC? I have 5 batteries for my Mav 3, Mini3, and Avata and 6 for my FPV. I don't take all of them on any given day but in the summer when the day is long I've been known to go for a day of flying and drive for 5 or 6 hundred miles, flying at interesting places along the highway filming at each of them. I always try to land with plenty of battery life so I may do twenty or thirty flights in a day. A day of good flying in the summer can be very long as up here I can fly 24hrs (North Pole, AK) so not only will I go through 5 batteries on each drone but between flights while driving the batteries are being charged. I admit to pushing the distance at times when I am flying 5 feet over the tundra with clear sight of an area with no people, roads or other hazards. This was probably something like 500miles of travel on a 16hr day. I also can burn several batteries at one place looking around at animal tracks and exploring a mountain side just for the joy of seeing the area. Along the Denali Hwy

Sports mode baby 😬
Lower the better and just throw them around a bit.
If I have 6 batteries to run through (M1P), or 5 (Spark), it takes a good while still, but then I'll tend to just fly them down to 50% and leave them there.

On my daily walk I almost always have one of my space dogs with me, the walk becomes so much more interesting, and often I stop and talk to people I meet. have my space dog with me everywhere, and also areas where I can let them loose for a regular flight tour.
M2P and M3P

I have two FMC's, a MA2 and M3P, almost always had more battery than I needed so I make a note of how many charges it has to try even it out. Many times if I've charge more battery than I need I'll use the power bank to lower for the weeks storage. I fly for fun quite a bit. It's fun to maneuver like a airplane on landings or just covering ground. I get bored taking pictures all the time.

Reactions: TTP
I fly for Fun ALL THE TIME. I actually enjoy it and haven't been burned out of the sport by working in it JUST LIKE I DID with Golf. Working in that industry for over 30 years really had me not wanting to play... Not until after I retired from working full time did that interest start to return.
Flying drones is something I enjoy as well as learning how to edit video. It's all about learning for me....
Yep. I fly just for fun too.
Yep, I fly just to enjoy it and sometimes take a few scenic landscape pics. I was doing fine with just “lower cost” drones as far as that goes, which som

Reactions: Rchawks and TTP
Yep. I fly just for fun too.

Yep, I fly just to enjoy it and sometimes take a few scenic landscape pics. I was doing fine with just “lower cost” drones as far as that goes, which som
cont. Which sometimes makes me wonder why I bought my MA2 to begin with. It almost makes me feel like I’m wasting the potential of my Air 2, at this moment in time, I probly am. Lol.

Purpose of DJI camera drones is to take photographs & video. You have to love photography, that’s the point. If flying is your thing then get an RC aircraft where people really fly the aircraft rather than depend on all the automation.

When I moved from the Mavic 1 to the Mavic 3 I thought I again needed 3 batteries. I don’t. It is now rare for me to fly 2 batteries down to 30%. While I am a Part 107 pilot I rarely take on a commercial project and even then they are relative quick projects. For me it is mostly about learning new photography and video skills. On occasion I spend a day over some BLM land or National Forest Land. Only then can I use all the battery capacity of my three M3 batteries.

On my daily walk I almost always have one of my space dogs with me, the walk becomes so much more interesting, and often I stop and talk to people I meet. have my space dog with me everywhere, and also areas where I can let them loose for a regular flight tour.
M2P and M3P
Space Dogs....... I like that !!

Reactions: TTP
Interesting thread. I’ve always appreciated skill. Yes, I do some video and still work, but mostly I fly to keep up or improve my flying skills. In the front yard, between my house and the soybean field there are 7 mature trees that I use as an obstacle course for my Air2S. I circle each one and weave my way through them, trying to fly as smooth and fast as I can. If I’m needed for a SAR, I want to have the skills to be a help.

Reactions: PhilJenkins

I agree ... if I wanted a drone to fly VLOS, a DJI would not be my choice .... I don't care what the others say on here, these drones are designed to be flow out of VLOS ... and I don't believe any one can see one (a mini anyway) at over 500 metres away ...

Reactions: djwak59
Recreational flyer here. When I had my Autel XSP I would fly a battery or two. Sold that and got the MA2 FMC and usually would only fly one battery and be done. Sold that and got my M2P with only one battery so I think that will be enough. Maybe get one more battery in the future. I enjoy making a mission with Litchi and going out and flying it.

Purpose of DJI camera drones is to take photographs & video. You have to love photography, that’s the point. If flying is your thing then get an RC aircraft where people really fly the aircraft rather than depend on all the automation.
Where does tha

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato