DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you guys think about performing batt maintenance

• Thread starter Deleted member 109934
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109934

Do you guys do battery maintenance as per airdata, or just fly your bird to 20-30% and keep recharging? Does regular maintenance like below extend battery life if yes any clue by how much?

Battery Deep Cycle Discharge

When you deep cycle the battery, it also re-initializes the battery's internal software. Always allow a LiPo battery to cool completely before any recharge to help protect your battery and extend its life.

Slower Deep Cycle Method:
  1. Fly until battery level reaches 25%-30%
  2. Allow battery to cool completely to room temperature
  3. Put battery back in and turn on aircraft (optionally starting motors with no propellers) and allow battery to discharge until it gets down to 8%, or until the battery can no longer be turned on. Launch the DJI GO app to check battery levels.
    Important: NEVER fully discharge the battery to 0% - it can cause permanent damage
    Tip: With engines stopped, the battery seems to drain about 1% every 5 minutes or so
  4. Allow the battery to cool completely again to room temperature
  5. Recharge battery normally
Rapid Deep Cycle Method:
  1. Fly the aircraft outdoors until there is less than 8% of power left, or until the battery can no longer be turned on.
  2. Allow the battery to cool completely again to room temperature
  3. Recharge battery normally

i would agree with @GerdS ,that the deep cycle discharge would be a last resort, for me if your store your batteries at the recommended voltages, dont discharge them below 30% on a regular basis,and prevent them from becoming to hot during use then they will iast a long time

i would agree with @GerdS ,that the deep cycle discharge would be a last resort, for me if your store your batteries at the recommended voltages, dont discharge them below 30% on a regular basis,and prevent them from becoming to hot during use then they will iast a long time
Do you guys do battery maintenance as per airdata, or just fly your bird to 20-30% and keep recharging? Does regular maintenance like below extend battery life if yes any clue by how much?

When you deep cycle the battery, it also re-initializes the battery's internal software. Always allow a LiPo battery to cool completely before any recharge to help protect your battery and extend its life.

3. Put battery back in and turn on aircraft (optionally starting motors with no propellers) and allow battery to discharge until it gets down to 8%, or until the battery can no longer be turned on. Launch the DJI GO app to check battery levels.
    Important: NEVER fully discharge the battery to 0% - it can cause permanent damage
    Tip: With engines stopped, the battery seems to drain about 1% every 5 minutes or so
Rapid Deep Cycle Method:
  1. Fly the aircraft outdoors until there is less than 8% of power left, or until the battery can no longer be turned on.
I’ve never tried that procedure. I just limit use to 30%. However, one of my 5 batteries took a significant decline in capacity about a year ago (I track capacity based on flight records). Since then, I only use it for non-flight activities like calibrations. But I think I’ll try that procedure to see what happens. I have nothing to lose.

Rapid Deep Cycle Method:

Just a suggestion: Thunderdrones warned about how hot the board gets inside a bird that's turned on and sitting idle for a while on a bench, he recommended keeping a fan near the openings to help keep it cool.

Just a suggestion: Thunderdrones warned about how hot the board gets inside a bird that's turned on and sitting idle for a while on a bench, he recommended keeping a fan near the openings to help keep it cool.
Thanks - Good Info

I am with old man Mavic, I do the very same thing. Matter of fact just got in from flying. Have battery warning at 30% start to bring it home before the next warning at 10%. The drone is landing at 20% battery power, until I fly again, which will be in a couple of days. My battery's are lasting a long time Every body can choose what they want to do with there batteries, but as for me. This works, and I don't feel like dishing out $80.00 or more for a battery.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots