DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you think you are doing? This is a No-Drone Zone…

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
How many of you have heard these or similar words? "HEY YOU; FLYING A DRONE HERE IS ILLEGAL!!!" or perhaps the more subtle approach, "What do you think you are doing? This is a No-Drone Zone…"

I have not yet made the plunge into an expensive Drone and I only have an inexpensive non-DJI Drone, but I have watched many YouTube Videos and read many, many postings on various web sites of the hassles Drone Flyers have faced by various "authority figures" or self-appointed "Ken's or Karen's."

I have had two run-ins with what I'll call "Jack Booted Thugs" authority figures…

One time my Drone was up in the air, I asked if I could land it safely. I explained that interfering with a Drone pilot while their Drone is in the air is a Federal Offense and punishable under the same laws that govern interfering with a pilot operating an aircraft. Because an out-of-control drone striking a person could injure them or worse, coming down in traffic could cause an accident, or at the very least, cause property damage. And that took much of the wind out of his sails… (As for the validity of all this, I do not know, but no one has ever questioned it…).

The other time, I was approached while swapping batteries… I've also had a few, "Hi there, what's you doing?" and these were pleasant exchanges that I just flying my drone around, I show then the same paperwork and all goes well.

When I am approached while flying, I bring the Drone back, usually very slowly… The conversation usually lightens up and I ask them if I can show them some paperwork.

I carry a copy of my TRUST Completion Certificate and I show them the certificate and explain that "I am an FAA Registered Recreation Drone Pilot."

Although I am not required to register my Drone (190 Grams…), I registered it. I show them a copy of my FAA UAS Certificate of Registration for my Drone, and show them the certificate and the Registration Information on my Drone (my FAA Number and my Phone Number).

I also carry a printed copy of the Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations Flying Rules to show I am operating my Drone within the Rules of Flight.

Then, depending on the specific location, if I'm in an FAA Controlled area and had to apply for flight authorization through the FAADroneZone Web Site, I show them a printed copy of the FAA Authorization and if I only had to apply for LAANC, I show them a printed copy of my Computer Screen Authorization. And if the area is OPEN, I show them the Map on B4FLY App.

And, because I do not fly in an prohibited area, Knock-on-Wood, I have never had to stop and desist my drone flying…

You can look at it several ways; either I dazzled them with my brilliance, or I baffled them with bull…

I like to think I used my Jedi Mind Trick…

Drone.jpg

Happy Droning and Fly Safe…

BDC

Sounds like police in Yorktown are more chill and better informed than most of them in Kentucky or the Los Angeles area.

Reactions: SeaPig
I've not had many experiences like that. I wear a bright orange safety vest to stand out, which makes it look like I'm doing something important (which, of course, is true). I did have one bad experience with a security guard when I was flying from a public sidewalk, photographing construction of a new auto assembly plant. The guard tried to claim that Chrysler owned the sidewalk and the city street next to it. I smiled, gave him my business card, and said "If that's true, call the cops."

This is exactly why I always fly stealth, hidden adequately to mitigate being seen or questioned. In 6yrs of flying DJI craft I've never had anyone hassle me in over 2000mi and 200hrs of flight time (knock on wood). Exposing yourself when flying recreationally invites confrontations, regardless if you're flying legal or not.

I've not had many experiences like that. I wear a bright orange safety vest to stand out, which makes it look like I'm doing something important (which, of course, is true). I did have one bad experience with a security guard when I was flying from a public sidewalk, photographing construction of a new auto assembly plant. The guard tried to claim that Chrysler owned the sidewalk and the city street next to it. I smiled, gave him my business card, and said "If that's true, call the cops."
i've also started to do the safety vest thing. Almost all of my flights are for compensation, and I feel that having the vest on makes me look like I "belong there."

Exposing yourself when flying recreationally invites confrontations, regardless if you're flying legal or not.
This - 100%. You can even take the word recreationally out.

Get in, get out, and no one gets hurt & fly with a spotter - watching your back if you can.

Stay safe out there.

How many of you have heard these or similar words? "HEY YOU; FLYING A DRONE HERE IS ILLEGAL!!!" or perhaps the more subtle approach, "What do you think you are doing? This is a No-Drone Zone…"

I have not yet made the plunge into an expensive Drone and I only have an inexpensive non-DJI Drone, but I have watched many YouTube Videos and read many, many postings on various web sites of the hassles Drone Flyers have faced by various "authority figures" or self-appointed "Ken's or Karen's."

I have had two run-ins with what I'll call "Jack Booted Thugs" authority figures…

One time my Drone was up in the air, I asked if I could land it safely. I explained that interfering with a Drone pilot while their Drone is in the air is a Federal Offense and punishable under the same laws that govern interfering with a pilot operating an aircraft. Because an out-of-control drone striking a person could injure them or worse, coming down in traffic could cause an accident, or at the very least, cause property damage. And that took much of the wind out of his sails… (As for the validity of all this, I do not know, but no one has ever questioned it…).

The other time, I was approached while swapping batteries… I've also had a few, "Hi there, what's you doing?" and these were pleasant exchanges that I just flying my drone around, I show then the same paperwork and all goes well.

When I am approached while flying, I bring the Drone back, usually very slowly… The conversation usually lightens up and I ask them if I can show them some paperwork.

I carry a copy of my TRUST Completion Certificate and I show them the certificate and explain that "I am an FAA Registered Recreation Drone Pilot."

Although I am not required to register my Drone (190 Grams…), I registered it. I show them a copy of my FAA UAS Certificate of Registration for my Drone, and show them the certificate and the Registration Information on my Drone (my FAA Number and my Phone Number).

I also carry a printed copy of the Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations Flying Rules to show I am operating my Drone within the Rules of Flight.

Then, depending on the specific location, if I'm in an FAA Controlled area and had to apply for flight authorization through the FAADroneZone Web Site, I show them a printed copy of the FAA Authorization and if I only had to apply for LAANC, I show them a printed copy of my Computer Screen Authorization. And if the area is OPEN, I show them the Map on B4FLY App.

And, because I do not fly in an prohibited area, Knock-on-Wood, I have never had to stop and desist my drone flying…

You can look at it several ways; either I dazzled them with my brilliance, or I baffled them with bull…

I like to think I used my Jedi Mind Trick…

View attachment 136741

Happy Droning and Fly Safe…

BDC
Not a single time had I been "hassled" in almost 2 years of flying. Have had several encounters of "curious" people and so I talk to them, show them the screen of what I'm doing, and they are usually awed by it.

I do try and stand out to the side of things and be as less obvious as I can - but that is not always possible. I go to a location, set the drone up, fly, land, and am gone. I do use the apps to make sure I'm flying legally and it's always best to even Google - "flying a drone near me" or the location as way too many local and state governments are jumping on the NO DRONE bandwagon. Even with that, I typically can find a spot near that area outside of their "no take-off / land zone" as that is all they can stop to fly. Airspace still belongs to the FAA and if it's clear above the "no drone zone" I can and will fly if I'm interested.

As many may state and have stated in past discussions on this subject (there are many) - just be courteous to the Nth degree. Should it be a cop or ranger, simply if flying at the time - tell them you need to land your drone safely and do so as quickly as possible. Don't poke the proverbial bear type of LEO - just pack up and leave or you can ask questions and show them what you have that says it's legal to fly there.

All situations are fluid and so each of us need to learn to be polite and courteous.

This is exactly why I always fly stealth, hidden adequately to mitigate being seen or questioned. In 6yrs of flying DJI craft I've never had anyone hassle me in over 2000mi and 200hrs of flight time (knock on wood). Exposing yourself when flying recreationally invites confrontations, regardless if you're flying legal or not.
I do the stealth thing now too. I just find it easier not to be confronted at all, rather than making it obvious your the one flying the drone. I also stand in places where my location isn't readily visible by anyone. I use my Mid size Air2S when I'm going to fly where there is a higher density of people than normal. It's less obtrusive, quiet and doesn't seem to cause as much alarm. I also have a small bag for it, that looks like a six pack cooler, and not something a drone would be carried in. I just look like any other civilian when walking around. Of course I carry all my paper work. I only present it when asked. I've interacted with police maybe 5 times since I started flying 2 years ago. They have never asked for paper work. They just wanted to know why I was flying the drone. It's like they don't realize it's just a fun thing to do. Maybe drug dealers pick up money and drop off drugs with them in the bad parts of town. Who knows. That would make an interesting news article.

Yeah, been there done that.

Reactions: SeaPig
I keep harping. STEALTH! Fly now ask later. Hide behind bushes. Go out early and late, Sunday early AM, etc. Anything to avoid the humans. No neon vest for me. I don't offer any papers unless asked.

I feel for you and the basic points you make. I live in a built up area of the U.K. where there are a lot of buildings, people and trees!! I have only had polite interest shown in the 3 and a half years I have been flying my Spark and MA2 and consider that pretty relaxed. I too have all my paperwork with me but have never had to show it. There will come a time….!!

"If that's true, call the cops." I have said exactly that! That usually stops them...

"If that's true, call the cops." I have said exactly that! That usually stops them...

Although I’ve not had a single issue in 4 years flying drones, THAT would be my final conflict line used, and state I will wait for their arrival, now back off, be quiet, and leave me the * alone to land.
Yes, I’d be very irate by then.

Thousands of flights, never been hassled, questioned, asked to leave, or anything like that ever.. in the USA or Mexico.
I guess it's because I rarely see anyone while flying. Like Dale say's ...Pick your spots.
I'm not saying I haven't committed bonehead acts while flying drones, but I try not to invite a bunch of unnecessary comments on it.

I guess it depends on where you are. Where I am now in Kentucky, a Chrysler plant or distillery or any other local business with some influence in town will call the police, lie about what you're doing and enjoy the complete support of the officers who respond.

Invariably, I know the law better than the responding officers and they take that as a personal affront. They take the "Well, I'll find SOMETHING to charge you with" attitude to intimidate and try to get you to leave. It doesn't matter that the company lied or that the officers are wrong, it only matters that Jim Beam is an important part of the local community. So far, when I ask for a supervisor, they've responded and have had a grasp of the law. I'm given an apology followed by the standard nonsense directives every cop feels they have to say to save face - "I don't mind you filming (like I'm supposed to care whether or not you mind). You can fly here, but you can't fly over the jail (which is 25 miles away). And you can't fly over the airport (I also can't land on the White House, want to mention that one?)...etc"

I've been approached by police in cities in KY and all around the Los Angeles area and not a single one has known the law or took any measures to deescalate or inform the business that I'm allowed to fly in the area. They just acted like tyrants in blue costumes.

I used to ask the business permission, even though it isn't needed, as a courtesy. Now, I'm in stealth mode. I can get the shot and leave before people notice what's happening.

I agree with the stealth method, but the orange vest is an interesting idea.

I typically fly straight up quickly out of audible range if possible (easier in noisy areas) and fly my missions away from the launch area. On return, I ascend, RTH high, drop down quickly. When necessary, I move locations between flights to confuse any followers.

I prefer not to interact with anyone. I got a plan, a mission and don’t need any distractions or delays from the Ken’s and Karen’s.

Although I’ve not had a single issue in 4 years flying drones, THAT would be my final conflict line used, and state I will wait for their arrival, now back off, be quiet, and leave me the * alone to land.
Yes, I’d be very irate by then.
Also from South Oz and have never had a problem. I think we're a bit more laid back in Australia generally. I always carry paperwork and would only produce it to an authority, not just any Joe Q public. If having to fly where I may get questioned or interrupted I have yellow A-Frame portable signs reminding people to keep clear 30m and not interrupt the pilot.
I generally avoid drawing attention to my flying, and most people who have come up are actually interested and either have a drone or are considering buying one. The worst people tend to be the greenies, particularly around whale migration times. They get serious hard-ons for drone pilots potentially hassling marine mammals. ☺️ 🐳

Reactions: lensimages
Also from South Oz and have never had a problem. I think we're a bit more laid back in Australia generally. I always carry paperwork and would only produce it to an authority, not just any Joe Q public. If having to fly where I may get questioned or interrupted I have yellow A-Frame portable signs reminding people to keep clear 30m and not interrupt the pilot.
I generally avoid drawing attention to my flying, and most people who have come up are actually interested and either have a drone or are considering buying one. The worst people tend to be the greenies, particularly around whale migration times. They get serious hard-ons for drone pilots potentially hassling marine mammals. ☺️ 🐳

Greenies and their drone / whale thing, ha ha.
Been proven in scientific tests that whales (and dolphins etc) aren't affected at all underwater by aerial drones, and while breaching, anything away at least 15m (I think it was) isn't a hassle either . . . mind you I don't reckon they'd be too worried about anything going on while moving 20 + tonnes up out of the water !!

Still, we get lumped with aircraft and 300m lateral distance is what we have to abide by.
At least not as bad as NSW where it's 500m.
WA is pretty darn good for drones and whales, it's 60m there !!

We really need uniform drone rules across Australia for flying near cetaceans, and make it 60m would be great !

Awesome area to be flying on the west coast, so much incredible coast, much like the SE Limestone Coast, only probably more rugged in many places.
We went through head of the bight and Nuytsland Nature Reserve, Baxter Cliffs etc, so good there, very remote, we saw no one around at all from Caiguna to Esperance along that coastline.

Reactions: Cirdan and OzMavix
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada