DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you use filters for?

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
There's all these videos and stuff about how these filters are awesome and stuff and I really don't see the point in using them unless you want fake protection from the sun- or that's what it look like for me.

I have 3 filters. Well one damaged from a crash, but I only used the filter to fix the fogging problem I had with my lens.

Are these shades of some kind of some lens to make it look more like 4k? I really don't know how to use these and I'm clueless as to what they even do. I might just give it away to dirkcloud if he has a Mavic if I don't find out exactly what they do.

As the ND filter subject is among the most asked here at the forum ... all is in here already.
Why not try the search options here at the forum, you find them in the upper right corner:

2021-11-04_10-47-44.jpg

Simple answer is that ND (neutral density) filters reduce the amount of light entering the camera. They are usually used on cameras that do not have an adjustable aperture. They are of little use in most still photos, but are used in video capture. A search on the forum or in the web will go into a lot of detail on how and when to use them. Don’t be lazy and expect all information to be spoon fed to you.

As the ND filter subject is among the most asked here at the forum ... all is in here already.
Why not try the search options here at the forum, you find them in the upper right corner:

View attachment 137723
How do you know I did this before I made this thread?... I'll keep my eye on you...

• Haha
Reactions: Glenn54
How do you know I did this before I made this thread?...
You couldn't have ...
...I really don't see the point in using them
...unless you want fake protection from the sun
...Are these shades of some kind of some lens to make it look more like 4k?
...I really don't know how to use these
...I'm clueless as to what they even do
If you had searched, all of the above had been clear.

There's all these videos and stuff about how these filters are awesome and stuff and I really don't see the point in using them unless you want fake protection from the sun- or that's what it look like for me.

I have 3 filters. Well one damaged from a crash, but I only used the filter to fix the fogging problem I had with my lens.

Are these shades of some kind of some lens to make it look more like 4k? I really don't know how to use these and I'm clueless as to what they even do. I might just give it away to dirkcloud if he has a Mavic if I don't find out exactly what they do.
Depends on filter you use. If a simple UV / haze filter - it does help with exactly that - UV light and haze so you get a "clearer" picture / video. Many land based photographers use them also as a lens protector, as a $50 filter is cheaper to replace than a $1,000 lens if the lens is scratched. If you want simple protection for the drone lens - then a UV / haze is the ticket.

Some photographers also use a "polarizing" filter to reduce sun / light glare.
"
What does a polarizer filter do?

Image result for polarizer filter

A polarizing filter oriented vertically will filter out the glare, but still allow plenty of light through. A polarizing filter on your camera helps reduce shiny reflections. Polarizing sunglasses work the same way. Polarizing sunglasses protect your eyes from glare off a road or water.

Another filter some photographers use to prevent damage to a lens and provide some glare help when shooting on bright sunny days.

The "ND filter" is explained by others. Some people use them and some don't - it's a personal choice.

A Google search of the filter types explains their use well. If you simply want to protect the lens of the drone camera - the UV filter is the winner.

Reactions: Rchawks and Droniac
How do you know I did this before I made this thread?... I'll keep my eye on you...

It's been explained at length many times on these forums, and I know because I wrote some of those explanations haha.

If you aren't having luck with the search function on these forums, google something like "why do I want a ND filter" and that should do the trick. The principles are the same for drones and traditional cameras. If you are at all serious about shooting video or doing ay kind of longer exposure photography, these are a must-have.

You can do some similar reading on polarizers, which are very annoying to use on drones and not something you would want to leave on all the time.

UV filters are designed for film cameras and are not ideal for use on digital sensors, which already have a UV coating on them. Usually it's not a big deal but they can introduce some unpleasant color casts in rare situations.

Reactions: Droniac
It's been explained at length many times on these forums, and I know because I wrote some of those explanations haha.

If you aren't having luck with the search function on these forums, google something like "why do I want a ND filter" and that should do the trick. The principles are the same for drones and traditional cameras.
Think he was just trying to be funny. Never know though!

Seems a bit odd. After all the “videos and stuff”, you claim to be
”clueless”.
As suggested above, the search feature here is a powerful tool.
A profiler might suggest that his variations in his vernacular is a big red flag from reading the first several posts. Just sayin. Godspeed, Droniac

A profiler might suggest that his variations in his vernacular is a big red flag from reading the first several posts. Just sayin. Godspeed, Droniac
Well, a picture says a thousand words! Look at his. While his profile says he's 16 and been on the forum since 2019 - he does have a lot to learn, yet should be well aware of the search and other features of the forum being here that long.

As has been mentioned in a few previous posts - some posts seem to be just seeking attention. I'm not a genius in my old age (was not in younger days either), yet learning the features of a forum and also the drone you own thru such things like YouTube - we would hope that he has used all those, but seems to not be so. As I stated earlier in the post - a simple Google search on filters - like UV, CP, and ND would provide him a wealth of info to know what they will do for you. On many pages I belong to on social media - like waterfalls, outdoors, etc - many post the same virtual questions many times a day and week - yet won't take a few minutes to look or search the page to see the exact same question already asked a dozen or more times. They are TOO BUSY or TOO IMPORTANT for such things. When those whom have been on the pages for more than a week and look at the posts being made make comments to search, etc - people get really bent out of shape and become nasty. Sadly, that is what our culture is fast becoming - going from self sufficient to relying on everyone else to do the work for you.

Granted there are times more direct questions need to be addressed and that is fine and dandy - yet do a small amount of research on your own to find the answers first, then ask questions that you don't understand or need more info. Take hiking for instance - people ask about hikes in an area or state. Well, #1 my hiking ability is not going to be yours, so my answers may not be good for you. I provide websites like AllTrails or if they are into waterfalls - a good waterfall guide and tell them find what FITS YOU. Very few of us have the same likes, dislikes, skills, etc.

Jus' sayin'!

Well, a picture says a thousand words! Look at his. While his profile says he's 16 and been on the forum since 2019 - he does have a lot to learn, yet should be well aware of the search and other features of the forum being here that long.

As has been mentioned in a few previous posts - some posts seem to be just seeking attention. I'm not a genius in my old age (was not in younger days either), yet learning the features of a forum and also the drone you own thru such things like YouTube - we would hope that he has used all those, but seems to not be so. As I stated earlier in the post - a simple Google search on filters - like UV, CP, and ND would provide him a wealth of info to know what they will do for you. On many pages I belong to on social media - like waterfalls, outdoors, etc - many post the same virtual questions many times a day and week - yet won't take a few minutes to look or search the page to see the exact same question already asked a dozen or more times. They are TOO BUSY or TOO IMPORTANT for such things. When those whom have been on the pages for more than a week and look at the posts being made make comments to search, etc - people get really bent out of shape and become nasty. Sadly, that is what our culture is fast becoming - going from self sufficient to relying on everyone else to do the work for you.

Granted there are times more direct questions need to be addressed and that is fine and dandy - yet do a small amount of research on your own to find the answers first, then ask questions that you don't understand or need more info. Take hiking for instance - people ask about hikes in an area or state. Well, #1 my hiking ability is not going to be yours, so my answers may not be good for you. I provide websites like AllTrails or if they are into waterfalls - a good waterfall guide and tell them find what FITS YOU. Very few of us have the same likes, dislikes, skills, etc.

Jus' sayin'!
I do agree with you on most all points. My avatar is from an unfortunate incident in my younger days in NYC EMS. The number of my unit (although inverted) is picture visible on the rear and can be directly linked to my sheild number, even though I’ve been out of that field for decades. One can only assume one’s avatar is in fact who they are if a personal pic. imo. It’s a litigious world and understandably so. people are leary over … well… most things. Maybe it’s the born and bread Queens, NY in me and other things I’ve been involved in. Somtin’ feels like a swollen M2P battery to me. On the other hand I can be dead butt wrong. I doubt it.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Thinking… we are seeing similarly from two potentially true perspectives. I prefer yours. Believe me.

I think most people around here are happy to help, even eager to help, in most instances. As tlswift already mentioned though, asking the most basic or most common types of questions without searching first points to either laziness or attention-seeking behavior. Especially when searching is far less effort and also less time consuming than making a new thread, typing out a question, and waiting for replies - it doesn't make sense. Also I think people would be more willing to help if it wasn't so frequent. with the same advice being given time and time again.

The searching doesn't even need to be done on this forum, a Google search is much faster if what you're looking for is info on basic photography principles, and then you can go directly to a trusted source rather than having to evaluate the quality of forum replies. A read through the manual and a few YouTube tutorials would go a long way I think.

I think you guys are being too harsh with this kid and fail to try to understand the context of the circumstances. He's 16. His level of grammar and communication skills signal me that he NEEDS constructive adult attention that perhaps he doesn't have available. I'm willing to bet the only parent in the household is just his mom who is probably out working hard to keep a roof over their heads. Be thankful that this kid isn't out gang banging or doing other mischief and is here annoying you with questions that could be answered in kinder, gentler ways.

What I suggest is that if he poses a question that seems "lazy" or "attention seeking" perhaps you might broaden your perspective of what it is and either ignore it, or post a link that he can find the information he's looking for. Sometimes disabilities manifest themselves in different ways. IMO he could use a big brother or two or a little more kindness rather than a kick in the behind. I think in many ways as we interact with each other we could all show a little more charity. JMO

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS