DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What documentation do you carry with you when flying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Wes

Reactions
Site
www.litchiutilities.com
I am a recreational flier in the USA. I try to fly without bringing attention to myself so I usually avoid people if I can and try to fly where there are no people. When I have been approached, I have had some positive interactions and some less than positive.

One of the positive interactions happened even before I began to fly. I parked my car in an empty neighborhood parking lot. I was tweaking a Litchi mission on my phone while still in my car when a law enforcement officer pulled up. Knowing that I probably looked suspicious (the only car in the parking lot), I got out of my car and approached the LEO. I introduced myself. Explained that I live in the neighborhood and that I was about to fly my drone by the nearby lake. The LEO said that he also had a drone and enjoyed flying it. We talked about drones, traded descriptions of them, and he went on his way and I went on mine.

I have also had a couple negative experiences where during or after flying I was approached by people who wanted to know who I was, why I was flying, who is the video for, etc. Because of these types of interactions, and more so, those described in some of the posts that I’ve read in this forum, I have decided to always carry drone-related documentation with me, just in case I am approached by someone who thinks that they have authority over where I am flying. The documentation that I currently carry while flying includes:
  • My SUAS Certification of Registration
  • The current FAA rules for recreational flyers
  • The Advisory Circular No: 91-57B
  • A hardcopy of the LAANC map of the area I flying in (if appropriate)
  • A sectional aeronautical chart of the area I am flying in
  • A sectional aeronautical chart legend
  • The FAA statement of Federal vs. Local drone authority
Are there other recreational flyers who do the same? Am I over-thinking this? I want to be prepared just in case I am ever questioned by someone who feels they have the authority to tell me where I can or cannot fly. Is there any other documentation I should add to this list?

I just carry my FAA Reg and AMA cards. I also fly w/i the AMA rules so I don't fly over people, vehicles and stay clear of occupied dwellings. Usually I avoid setting up my LZ around people but if they walk up on me and seem disturbed I usually move on if I feel threatened. Never had a nut case all over me like some of the incidents I've read on this site though. I don't try to fly stealthy, and use a large bright landing mat and strobes. I've had passers by ask if people think I'm spying on them and my answer is, if I was, you probably wouldn't see me and the strobes would be off.

Not that what you carry is overkill, just I've never needed most of that. I am not going to argue with those who feel they are an authority of some type and trying to convince law enforcement with different views than I have isn't my thing.

I am a recreational flier in the USA. I try to fly without bringing attention to myself so I usually avoid people if I can and try to fly where there are no people. When I have been approached, I have had some positive interactions and some less than positive.

One of the positive interactions happened even before I began to fly. I parked my car in an empty neighborhood parking lot. I was tweaking a Litchi mission on my phone while still in my car when a law enforcement officer pulled up. Knowing that I probably looked suspicious (the only car in the parking lot), I got out of my car and approached the LEO. I introduced myself. Explained that I live in the neighborhood and that I was about to fly my drone by the nearby lake. The LEO said that he also had a drone and enjoyed flying it. We talked about drones, traded descriptions of them, and he went on his way and I went on mine.

I have also had a couple negative experiences where during or after flying I was approached by people who wanted to know who I was, why I was flying, who is the video for, etc. Because of these types of interactions, and more so, those described in some of the posts that I’ve read in this forum, I have decided to always carry drone-related documentation with me, just in case I am approached by someone who thinks that they have authority over where I am flying. The documentation that I currently carry while flying includes:
Are there other recreational flyers who do the same? Am I over-thinking this? I want to be prepared just in case I am ever questioned by someone who feels they have the authority to tell me where I can or cannot fly. Is there any other documentation I should add to this list?

You are required to have your Certificate of Registration, and any LAANC clearance. The rest is optional, but a very good idea in my opinion. I usually have the current sectional chart for my flight area in PDF format on my phone. I will get the PDF format of the other documents you carry to add to my phone.
So far I have only had positive experiences flying with my UAV’s, but you just never know.

Reactions: BigAl07 and DJ Wes
I have a picture of my Basic License/Certification on my phone , should i carry anything else ?

Thank you for these ideas. I live just outside the five-mile radius of our local airport. I just printed out a map showing this radius and that I'm in the clear ... just in case.

Normally just my Part 107 airman certificate and the registration certificate for my drone.

There are a few non-LAANC airports where I have Airspace Authorizations, so I have a printed copy of those with me when flying in those zones.

When flying in areas that might be more drone hostile, I've also had copies of local or state preemption laws with me. And when flying abroad, I've carried whatever paperwork is required to fly there.

I carry my FAA card showing my drone is registered. I also carry my 1911 A1 .45 ACP handgun and two extra magazines. ????

Although not documentation per se, the best thing I did regarding the issue of an occasional suspicious onlooker was to have a few different postcards printed up by Vistaprint from some of my better photos. They make a great handout that also shows how you use your UAV. Everyone loves a nice postcard.

I used to carry a 1911, full size. Found it too bulky and hard to conceal in the summer. I carry a Sig P220 compact in 9mm now.

I carry nothing but my drivers license as normal day to day travels. I have everything I need if I ever needed it for court etc in my email/electronically. But I have no desire to have discussions with people or explain my self or have debates over the rules when I am doing nothing wrong. I have had people ask or pester me and I just tell them hey have a nice day lady and then ignore them like they don't even exist.

Thank you for these ideas. I live just outside the five-mile radius of our local airport. I just printed out a map showing this radius and that I'm in the clear ... just in case.

Distance from the airport no longer carries any relevance. It's the Airspace you're in that matters so you'll want to print out a map showing the airspace you're operating in as opposed to a simple 5m radius map.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots