DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What drone to get?

AYY_LMAO

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I wanted to get some people to weigh in on some options for buying a drone. I'm concerned that Remote ID and upcoming regulations may make current drone models limited in functionality in a few years. I've done a fair amount of research and the most conclusive information is from DJI's official comment on the FAA proposal page from March 2nd, stating "we believe a substantial portion of our products will be able to conform with the ASTM broadcast standard by the time the requirements exist" ... "as to the broadcast method, we believe it is indeed a software upgrade for many but not all current models.” Given this information, it seems that they may be able to meet the broadcast standard, though perhaps not the network standard which they seemed more unsure about. In summary, it remains unsure whether or not current drones will be able to fully comply with regulations, though there is a significant chance they will be able to at least partly do so. Here are the options I'm considering:

- Purchase the Mavic Air 2 now, sell it in the future in the event of regulations landing that limit its full capacities. Upgrade to the future "Air 3" or equivalent that will more definitively have compliance.
  • Pros: More capable drone in my hands (range, camera quality, battery capacity, wind resistance, quick shot modes), able to better practice intricacies of photography with adjustable settings and filters
  • Cons: Potential large drop in value in the future if regulated, dropping resale value significantly
- Purchase the Mavic Mini now, sell it in the future after regulations are more certain. Upgrade to the future "Air 3" or equivalent that will more definitively have compliance
  • Pros: Highly unlikely to be regulated (as it stands, drones 0.55lbs and lower are exempt from regulations per the proposal), more compact, decent camera
  • Cons: [When compared to Air 2] Unable to fully adjust camera settings, limited range, less wind resistance, lower quality camera, no follow-me mode, lower build-quality
My preference is for the Air 2, it seems that most would agree. Of course, if it is able to fully comply via a software update in the future, the choice is clear. How are people justifying their Air 2 orders currently with possible upcoming regulations, and what suggestions do you all have?

Get the Air 2 (or other) soonest, enjoy now and for at least a couple of years.
Fly the **** out of it !!

The way the World is going, all airspace regulation might be pushed back further as other World problems develop.
You could get hit by a truck next week, so enjoy life now.

^^^ Yes IMO. I'd probably go with the Air-2 these days. The only reason I'd skip out is if DJI doesn't allow the air-2 to operate with my Crystal Sky monitors. Seems to be an issue with DJI....planned obsolescence.

I think once the “Air 3” or equivalent model comes out around the time of regulation implementation that has very defined compatibility, that will be the one for me. Or if somehow Air 2 ends up being able to meet the regulations :) In the meantime, I’d like something that holds its value (Air 1 sells for around $550 now, not sure if Air 2 would in the future if rules changed, is able to take high quality customizable photographs/video (Mini is quite limited), and maintains strong connectivity. Think I can count on the Air 2 to hold its value in a few years since it meets my other criteria?

I feel after 2 - 3 years it's given it's value to a pilot fairly well, especially if used for biz and pleasure.
If it gets dated due to tech or regulation, then it will be worth a lot less of course, just like your car will depreciate so much, so fast . . . unless it's a classic :)

Even an Air right now will get you going, learn all the flight and filming techniques.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada