DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What else do you fly?

dannybgoode

Reactions
I joined the BMFA to benefit from their insurance and as part of the signing up process it asked me which local club I wanted to join.

Picked one and they got straight in touch and long story short I am now committed to learning fixed wing flying and picked up my first plane yesterday (nice big Seagull Boomerang with an Irvine 53 engine - lovely thing).

Can’t wait for an instructor to be free so I can start learning.

I am also trying to learn CP helis but then I’ve been trying that on and off for 6 years now - still going to persist.

Just reinstalled AccuRC on my pc and will get my RC charged up and get some proper stick time in on the sim over winter :)

Reactions: BigAl07
Congrats!! I started flying R/C many moons (4 decades) ago and still enjoy the smell of a Nitro powered plane on a warm summer day. Winter time not so much LOL!

Flying airplanes (aka planks) is a genuine pleasure that's hard to explain until after the first time you take off, fly it in a controlled manner, and land it safely on the ground with no (or almost no) repairs needed. Be warned... it's VERY addictive and pleasurable LOL.

Once you've mastered the Boomerang (it will be a fun plane long after you've gotten a grasp on the basics) you'll want to move into a slightly sportier plane but keep the Boomerang for those days when you want to teach someone else or you want to just yank & bank on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

If you want to get into some quicker to build/fly options check out HorizonHobby and their Ready-To-Fly(RTF) or Bind-N-Fly(BNF) (if you have the Spectrum Tx) or if you want to use your existing components (radio, flight gear, engine etc) in a new airframe Almost Ready To Fly (ARF) options. One of my All-Time favorite planes to fly is the UltraStick from HH. They have several different versions and they are an absolute blast to fly. They have such a wide flight envelope meaning it can fly very slow and steady but also crank it up and burn up the sky and do just about any aerobatic maneuver you can think of and then some you never thought about.
UltraStick 10CC

UltraStick 30CC

CP Heli are a lot of fun once you get the hang of it but don't be afraid to get your feet wet on a FP unit and then move up to your CP.

I'ved got FP heli, Coax heli, CP heli, and a whole hanger of planks ranging from gliders to seaplanes to 3D stunt planes. I genuinely LOVE to fly the planks. Just note that flying airplanes is pretty much night & day different thank MlutiRotors that fly themselves. On that note, once you become proficient at flying planes and heli your MR flying does become more fun and even smoother because you "get it" more.

One last note.... once you get into it and decide you want to fly "planks" more you may want to consider going all electric for ease of operation, ease of modifications, and easy of clean up. Also the quietness is greatly appreciated by neighbors of the flying area LOL.

Reactions: dannybgoode
I started with a Mavic Pro, but was constantly putting it into dangerous situations with trees. It led me to building my own video platforms (basically modified race drones) Once you fly these FPV (first person view) rigs, there's nothing else like it. Now I can make crazy stuff like this (and fix it myself when I crash, and crash a lot):

Reactions: dannybgoode
Congrats!! I started flying R/C many moons (4 decades) ago and still enjoy the smell of a Nitro powered plane on a warm summer day. Winter time not so much LOL!

Flying airplanes (aka planks) is a genuine pleasure that's hard to explain until after the first time you take off, fly it in a controlled manner, and land it safely on the ground with no (or almost no) repairs needed. Be warned... it's VERY addictive and pleasurable LOL.

Once you've mastered the Boomerang (it will be a fun plane long after you've gotten a grasp on the basics) you'll want to move into a slightly sportier plane but keep the Boomerang for those days when you want to teach someone else or you want to just yank & bank on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

If you want to get into some quicker to build/fly options check out HorizonHobby and their Ready-To-Fly(RTF) or Bind-N-Fly(BNF) (if you have the Spectrum Tx) or if you want to use your existing components (radio, flight gear, engine etc) in a new airframe Almost Ready To Fly (ARF) options. One of my All-Time favorite planes to fly is the UltraStick from HH. They have several different versions and they are an absolute blast to fly. They have such a wide flight envelope meaning it can fly very slow and steady but also crank it up and burn up the sky and do just about any aerobatic maneuver you can think of and then some you never thought about.
UltraStick 10CC

UltraStick 30CC

CP Heli are a lot of fun once you get the hang of it but don't be afraid to get your feet wet on a FP unit and then move up to your CP.

I'ved got FP heli, Coax heli, CP heli, and a whole hanger of planks ranging from gliders to seaplanes to 3D stunt planes. I genuinely LOVE to fly the planks. Just note that flying airplanes is pretty much night & day different thank MlutiRotors that fly themselves. On that note, once you become proficient at flying planes and heli your MR flying does become more fun and even smoother because you "get it" more.

One last note.... once you get into it and decide you want to fly "planks" more you may want to consider going all electric for ease of operation, ease of modifications, and easy of clean up. Also the quietness is greatly appreciated by neighbors of the flying area LOL.

I’ve been trying to not crash CP helis for a while now - way longer than I have had the drones for. I have a JR Forza 450 which is a lovely thing but also a Blade 230S with SAFE which in beginner mode flies pretty much like an FP. I know just how insanely difficult they are at first! Great challenge though.

Have started putting some time on the sim for planes and they seem to be somewhere between CP helis and drones for difficulty- at least for the basic stuff.

I was looking at EP planes but in the future I want to fly big scale WWI and II aircraft so nitro is still more preferable. My helis are EP though - EP helis to me make way more sense than EP planes.

Can’t wait for that first flight though - very exciting.

I got into some fixed wing flying after some time with the Mavic. My go to is the PT-17 (aka Woodstock). Have yet to give the Heli's a try.. except for my lil mini there.

View media item 1683
View media item 1880

Reactions: RTKD
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa