DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What exactly is the E.V. setting and when to use it?

Jonathonmp

Reactions
I was curious if anyone could explain what the E.V. Setting is on my new 2 pro. My air doesn't have it or allow me to change it if I remember right. Juat got both last week and really focusing on trying to take great pics! Thanks for any help and direction.

It's the variation in stops (± 3) from the nominal metered exposure. You can use it in conjunction with the histogram or even just a simple assessment of the lighting to adjust the exposure for optimal results, especially if shooting raw. By default coupled to the right RC wheel.

Reactions: Jonathonmp
It's the variation in stops (± 3) from the nominal metered exposure. You can use it in conjunction with the histogram or even just a simple assessment of the lighting to adjust the exposure for optimal results, especially if shooting raw. By default coupled to the right RC wheel.
thank you so very much for the information. That's a huge help. I guess I'm new to the photography hobby as well since getting the air and 2 pro last week. A lot to learn.

I just landed from a great 4th flight with mavic 2 pro and I am about to put the air up now for a little. I noticed that when I was filming that fences had zebra stripes on them and as soon I I brought the E. V. Down from I think it was 2 they went away. Might have been -2 but either way that cured the zebra stripes on fences. I believe I got a screenshot of it as it was occurring on my iPad that I was flying with.

Reactions: sar104
I noticed that when I was filming that fences had zebra stripes on them and as soon I I brought the E. V. Down from I think it was 2 they went away. Might have been -2 but either way that cured the zebra stripes on fences. I believe I got a screenshot of it as it was occurring on my iPad that I was flying with.

Zebra stripes is overexposure warning, so that's working for you :)
Some like the overexposure warning stripe, others turn it off in settings.
Enjoy the 2 (TWO !) new drones !! Lucky you ?

They really are amazing! Thank you very much. Everyone has been really kind and helpful in this community that for the life of me I cannot figure out why there are more people with drones.
So the Zebra stripes won't show up in the final video or photo or will it? Is there a way to turn that feature off on my air and pro 2

They really are amazing! Thank you very much. Everyone has been really kind and helpful in this community that for the life of me I cannot figure out why there are more people with drones.
So the Zebra stripes won't show up in the final video or photo or will it? Is there a way to turn that feature off on my air and pro 2

The stripes are just a visual exposure guide overlay. They are not in the actual image.

Ok! I never had saw this happen in the week of owning both drones but it started as soon as I started messing with the shutter speed for daytime shooting. I remember on both drones making the slider bar turn off over exposure so maybe that setting needs changed back

As sar104 said, no they are only on your display as a warning of overexposure areas.
You can turn that off in settings, both the Air and M2P using the Go4 app.
Probably main settings menu for camera.

Is there a way to not make it do that but alert me in another way?

sar104 just nailed the histogram.

Histogram is what I always use very helpful I keep everything else shut off it’s annoying.

Zebra stripes are annoying but extremely useful. They are universal on all pro video cameras. Digital video, unlike film, is extremely intolerant of overexposure. Overexposure yields blank white areas where it occurs. It makes the video very harsh and ugly. The zebra stripes show you the area where this will happen, allowing you to decide whether or not that area being blown out to white will bother you in the final image.

I was curious if anyone could explain what the E.V. Setting is on my new 2 pro. My air doesn't have it or allow me to change it if I remember right. Juat got both last week and really focusing on trying to take great pics! Thanks for any help and direction.
Here's a good You Tube explaining it. There are more if you Google E.V. compensation

Here's a good You Tube explaining it. There are more if you Google E.V. compensation

Thank you so much for passing this along. That was extremely helpful. Also, a big thank you to Dave Maine as well for the explanation.
I am curious as to why my air never showed that to me before but now does. Obviously, I expected it to show up in Manuel mode but it is even there in full auto mode as well. My father and fiancé are photography hobbiest and that was never me but now that I have seen things that only a drone could provide in terms of photography and video I'm hooked.
Who would have thought that there was so many moving parts of taking a photo. I had heard their terms aperture and f-stop before but when you sit down and begin to study It there is so much and then when flying all that goes out the window focused on not hitting things but also when trying some of the "settings" supposed pros say to use for daylight or sunshine they turn out like garbage.

Who would have thought that there was so many moving parts of taking a photo. I had heard their terms aperture and f-stop before but when you sit down and begin to study It there is so much and then when flying all that goes out the window focused on not hitting things but also when trying some of the "settings" supposed pros say to use for daylight or sunshine they turn out like garbage.

Start with simple photos, good composition with regards to sun generally behind you, frame the subject well (1/3 rule) etc.
Then move onto video, get some ND filters (if you don't already), start that process and develop your skills.

For the photography part, you might even search YouTube for regular camera settings and how they work together.
Get a good photo editor (and video) so you can work on the RAW dng files from the M2P, but even the jpgs might be fine for you from the drone, and little tweaking needed.

Edit. Sorry just recalled seeing Air in the OP, see now you have a new M2P and obviously have the flight stuff under control.
Edited out all Air related info.
Great you have a lot more photo setting functions available to you.

Last edited:
The EV is mainly for auto mode, or semi-manual when you have shutter or aperture priority. It is basically the target overall or spot exposure that the camera strives for when adjusting ISO, shutter or aperture (when available).

When in full manual, it should show the exposure meter relative to theoretically ideal exposure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun