DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What happens if phone or app dies while flying?

SalC

Reactions
Hello everyone,

First post here. I have a new Mavic Air 2 and was flying using the Go Fly app when my phone wigged out, the drone lost app connection then the phone rebooted. My question is what is supposed to happen in this case as far as the drone is concerned?

I assumed it would still fly and control via the controller but before the phone rebooted I got a "lost rc signal" message and the aircraft was initiating a RTH. I was less than 500 ft away and that's what concerns me, why would I lose signal that close? Eventually the phone came back up and the app started and connected just prior to land. I was able to cancel the RTH and continue flying. I was flying in an urban area, not an open field so I didn't have line of sight.

Thanks.
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?ur...reboots+during+flight?+I+lost+signal.&via=DJI

...I have a new Mavic Air 2 and was flying using the Go Fly app when my phone wigged out, the drone lost app connection then the phone rebooted. My question is what is supposed to happen in this case as far as the drone is concerned?...
Unless things have changed with the Air 2, you should be able to maintain control without the phone or app.
...I assumed it would still fly and control via the controller but before the phone rebooted I got a "lost rc signal" message and the aircraft was initiating a RTH...
If the phone had not yet rebooted, how did you get a "lost rc signal" message?

Just before the phone rebooted, I got a "lost rc signal" on the app and the video signal was lost. I got a RTH message and the phone then rebooted.

Just before the phone rebooted, I got a "lost rc signal" on the app and the video signal was lost. I got a RTH message and the phone then rebooted.
Okay, I misread your post as just before the phone finished rebooting. Losing video would be expected if the RC signal was lost as would be the initiation of RTH.

It seems you have two problems; lost RC signal at 500 feet distance and your phone rebooting. Even if your antennas are not oriented properly you should not lose RC connection since the Air 2 has OcuSync 2.0. As for the phone, what phone is it? You might try closing all other apps and putting it in airplane mode. EDIT: The app should not cause your phone to reboot. You might try reinstalling the app.

I will leave further comments for actual Air 2 owners. I would not want my guesses based on my MP experience to waste any ones time. Perhaps posting your logs would shed light on what happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: pelagic_one
First thing I do with any new drone is get it in the air a foot or so, and unplug my tablet/phone to see what happens. Nothing happens, you remain in control of the drone with the RC you just lose your interface.

My question is what is supposed to happen in this case as far as the drone is concerned?
The drone is controlled by the remote controller. As long as the remote controller is still powered on and connected to the drone, you'll continue flying like usual.

If you are using an app like Litchi with a flight path, than your drone will continue on through it's flight path, whether your phone or controller is on or off.

Reactions: Peiper44

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929