DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

what happens when you do csc with the ma2 at 500 meter and try to restart the motors while in free fall?

Chris P. Chicken

Reactions
so what happens when you do csc with the ma2 at 500 meter and try to restart the motors while in free fall?
I was wondering what will happen. I think a free fall and then when you restart it will it automatically find its balance or will it crash?
anyone ever tried this?

• Haha
Reactions: tlswift58
so what happens when you do csc with the ma2 at 500 meter and try to restart the motors while in free fall?
I was wondering what will happen. I think a free fall and then when you restart it will it automatically find its balance or will it crash?
anyone ever tried this?

It has been done before and just survived but not at that excessive altitude. A search on Google will show examples.

If it stays right way up during fall (and the ones on YouTube I've seen do, prop drag helps) then the drone will (all the time ?) restart and level out to a hover.

Not sure what would happen if it went over too far, most Mavics cut out when turned sideways, at least the M1P M2 models.

if you have a MA2 and dont mind it getting smashed to pieces as it hits the ground ,then go for it ,only way your ever going to know for sure

anyone ever tried this?
The earlier Mavic Pro is perfectly capable of pulling off this maneuver, as has been demonstrated a few times. This thread includes a detailed look at the telemetry and reproducibility of the resulting flight:

The Terminal Velocity of a Falling Mavic 2

The terminal velocity is around 20 m/s, and the aircraft falls a further 40 - 50 m after motor restart in arresting the fall. Obviously for this to work depends on the motors restarting on the second CSC, and it has been suggested that recent firmware that prevents motor start if the tilt exceeds 70° might stop that from happening, but I don’t think that applies during free flight - only when the aircraft status is “Ground”.

This appears to be a perfect “hold my beer” opportunity to obtain similar data for the MA2.

If the OP (or anyone) wanted to try this, I guess one could do it from say 80m or 90m, flat ground, over something like thick soft vegetation (reeds ? thick ground cover / hedge ? an empty childrens jumping castle, lol ?), and try a restart almost as soon as CSC stops the motors.

Not sure how long terminal velocity takes, but that should be safer then trying from higher, though not sure how much higher one should be going, only another 30 or 40m permissible in most places.

Also, I would do a lot of CSC on the ground, with props on for real life motor load, to work out exactly how long it takes for the motors to restart.
Ie. Your motors stop, how long until a CSC can be done before restart occurs, immediately, 2 seconds, etc ?
How long until the motors take to stabilise after restart ?
Would need to know this to ensure test heights are adequate.

I think my early interest in YouTube vids, and when they even pop up last year or so, is if you accidentally do a CSC, you know how it might respond to save it.

Remember flying any drone for the first time ever, my sons P3 many years ago, got it up was zooming all over the place at my workshop open yard, having a ball.
After landing he said, oh, never do this \ /, or / \ in flight.
Great, NOW you tell me !!

What is the practical use of doing this electively? Time will be what it is in the vent of a real problem.

This appears to be a perfect “hold my beer” opportunity to obtain similar data for the MA2.
The first person to Venmo me $800 or mail me a MA2 (nice machine; flew one for the first time last weekend; I don’t much care for the Fly app but I guess it’s a matter of getting used to it) will get an exclusive first look at a demonstration.

Last edited:
He oughta buy a parachute, then test it. Enquiring minds want to know.
good luck trying to find a spot to fix the parachute so the blades dont cut the lines attaching it to the drone

Reactions: basyok
well maybe 500 meters is a little bit to high...and not legal.(sometimes i fly 500 meters) but I dont know how to fetch a parachute but i got aL
Toy_Parachute_grande.jpg
Thats fun for the parachute .
So I tried a little bit in a simulator but all the time it crashes...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett