DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What If………..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
File the NASA report if it wasn't intentional but it will be difficult to prove that.

Reactions: Prop Wash
a DJI Mini2 buzzed the tower of a US Navy carrier getting underway………..
??‍♂️just wondering??‍♂️
??‍♂️just wondering??‍♂️
Important to note that US aircraft carriers are all nuclear powered and as such in the exclusion zones around them deadly force is always authorized even while in dry dock. Many a sailor has been threatened by gun boats that standby for protection when their boat got to close. You should plan on losing your drone for sure, extended time in prison assuming they don’t shoot you outright. Anyone who would pull such a stupid stunt would certainly deserve the consequences not to mention the wrath of the drone community!

What if....A UAS pilot used common sense to realize that this is NOT a good idea since 2...count 'em....2 Federal agencies would be involved.
  • @ the very least: 1 would be interested in speaking with "the" pilot to let them know it was not allowed, but would highly likely be worse.
  • 1 takes a threat to their vessel EXTREMELY seriously and will use any method necessary to ensure the safety of ship and crew.
Would this "pilot" be prepared for any / all consequences of said action? Maybe the 'PIC' should think about this now because there would LOTS of time to think about it when they are in one of those "Community Resorts," you know the ones where members get to wear orange jumpsuits?

Last edited:
Why not??? We need another article about drone pilot breaking the law.

Then we can use your post to show how it all started.

LOL I'm wondering it this question really needed to asked...:)

??‍♂️just wondering??‍♂️
Crash your drone in the ocean and throw away your RC unit. Claim it was a flyaway and you got really mad and threw your RC controller somewhere but forgot where. That's a joke. Use Common Sense.

It was well documented on here at the time but some idiot did something similar here, in the UK, about 18months ago.
While the HMS Queen Elizabeth was docked in Invergordon, Scotland, a local idiot decided it would be good to land his UAV on the flight deck. The drone and photography community at the time tore him to shreds over it.
His excuse was, "It started to get very windy, so I put down on the deck for safety reasons". I never did hear of any outcome, but the ship was unarmed, with no planes on board as it was on its sea trials.
I am not aware of this village idiot ever piloting a UAV since.
I doubt that the Royal Navy will be as lax ever again, especially with a flight of USN F35's on board, as they are, to bolster the Royal Navy's own F35's.
Expect your drone to be shot down and I hope you enjoy prison food and cell games...!

??‍♂️just wondering??‍♂️
All above said...I simply cannot fail to see the humor in the OP's pie-in-the-sky hypothetical scenario:
Given it even get noticed, being a Mini an' all; a deckhand will probably be dispatched with a fly-swatter or bug spray can to get rid of it. (The rest of the crew is very busy with the 'getting underway' bit.) This after lengthy deliberation of concequences of 'use of deadly force' against what might be a seagull entangled in plastic pollution, in proximity of the tower. Said use of 'deadly force' will inevitably destoy all possible traces of evidence, and perhaps part of the tower.
If captured alive, with 'made in China' branding intact; prepare yourself to see DJI added to the Huawei list of banned Chinese imports into the USA, and DJI fly app to also disappear from the Apple store, as it has from the Android store. And here I'm sitting on the Southern tip of Africa, thinking, you know what?, rather NOT :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143