DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What if he doesn’t come to NJ, can I fly?

GrafXXX

Reactions
Typically late Wednesday or early Thursday my anticipation of conquering the skies of the great garden state ( yup JERSEY STRONG) comes to a sad reality of how our government can always find a way to ruin my weekends. Whenever our President decides to come home for a round of golf at one of his NJ properties the skies turn RED. The last time was a couple weeks ago and he ended up cancelling the weekend trip ( since there was confusion and and uproar if he needed to be part of the NJ out of state quarantine order). After he cancelled the trip here the restrictions stayed in place, so my questions are and I’m a newbie to the laws as my ma2 is my first drone that I feel comfortable letting go 10 feet away from me And expecting not to lose it forever. Am I not allowed to fly While In the temporary red circle, is there a certain height I can go and still be ok to fly. If it is set up as restricted for Presidential reasons but he cancelled and is live in another state and the restrictions stay on my map what can I do? Is the map just a guide or is it law? I read the details page several times as if I knew what it meant, all I got from it was as a recreational drone operator, if I fly during the red my ma2 will be shot down over my house by an F18 missile and I should expect 5 black Chevy suburbans racing through my neighborhood looking for me and and swarming my house.
Is It illegal to fly? Is there a way I can still fly this weekend since I’m expecting a couple ma2 goodies in route to me now from B&H that I purchased yesterday and paid an extra $18 to get today.
Thanks in advance for the replies, answers, suggestions, and clarifications of the TEMPORARY RED CIRCLE OF SADDNESS. Or as I been calling it to my family as HERE WE GO AGAIN, ITS A TOMATO WEEKEND ( since NJ is the garden state, and the red circles look like tomatoes, and don’t like to eat them so it’s another reason to HATE TOMATOES ). I attached the map pics and the details

7E824F25-AEC4-4611-BAE2-1201795B899C.jpegC0CA4A68-176E-4C39-9C26-C76C0FDF3F6F.jpeg7D5429B5-5C52-4710-B4DF-23C324C92937.png96C45A93-569C-426A-A3EB-5C89F03F106E.jpeg

After he cancelled the trip here the restrictions stayed in place
The FAA will cancel the TFR when it is safe to do so per the Secret Service. If POTUS leaves early (as he usually does on his golf outings), the TFR will be cancelled earlier than expected.

Am I not allowed to fly While In the temporary red circle, is there a certain height I can go
No you are not in any way allowed to fly if you are in that restricted area. The TFR clearly states Surface to 17,999 feet. So you cannot fly at all.

but he cancelled and is live in another state and the restrictions stay on my map what can I do? Is the map just a guide or is it law?
Does not matter that he cancelled. The FAA should cancel the TFR but if they don't then you must abide by it. A TFR carries the full force of FAA regulations. A presidential TFR even more so. Never ever fly in a presidential TFR area.

if I fly during the red my ma2 will be shot down over my house by an F18 missile and I should expect 5 black Chevy suburbans racing through my neighborhood looking for me and and swarming my house.
I wouldn't expect missiles or military jets, but a visit from the Secret Service would not be out of the question. Just don't do it.

Is It illegal to fly? Is there a way I can still fly this weekend
Yes it is completely illegal. You cannot fly in the affected area while the TFR is in effect.

The FAA will cancel the TFR when it is safe to do so per the Secret Service. If POTUS leaves early (as he usually does on his golf outings), the TFR will be cancelled earlier than expected.

No you are not in any way allowed to fly if you are in that restricted area. The TFR clearly states Surface to 17,999 feet. So you cannot fly at all.

Does not matter that he cancelled. The FAA should cancel the TFR but if they don't then you must abide by it. A TFR carries the full force of FAA regulations. A presidential TFR even more so. Never ever fly in a presidential TFR area.

I wouldn't expect missiles or military jets, but a visit from the Secret Service would not be out of the question. Just don't do it.

Yes it is completely illegal. You cannot fly in the affected area while the TFR is in effect.
Thank you very much for the straight truth, even though you reassured my sadness. BUT REALLY NO CHANCE OF MISSILES? :)
It said as I interpreted - damage my device, thought the Sunday morning newspaper would read MAVIC AIR 2 shot down in a blaze of glory.
I really appreciate your specific to the point understandable reply, So may I pick your brain on another quick topic PhantomF,
My business Is located approx 500-1000 feet South outside the Newark Airport restricted zone, so I just fly south from my spot to avoid that area, but around 7pm usually daily the do change flight patterns ( more noticeable now with sunset at the 8;20 pm area) and the commercial airliners from Newark make a hard right and fly from directly over my business to maybe 2000 feet south ( outside the restricted circle) am I okay to fly since they do not change any restrictions on the maps, I really am impressed with the ma2 and have learned so much since early June from flying and reading this forum daily, ( I do wish that it had the side obstacle avoidance as then it would be the perfect package) the one feature that is awesome atleast for me is the manned aircraft in area alert, sometimes I can’t see anything, or after I go low I still never see anything, but not the case at my business, I can see them while in the restricted area, then they make that hard right turn towards my area, so I will lower my altitude or some times switch to sport and full throttle more south ( in view still) but knowing I’m far away. Is there anything I should be concerned about legally being in similar proximity to those airliners, also about 7:30, most of the helicopters ( and all the major NY news copters ) also head back To a smaller airport on the edge of my town also kind of above me but perpendicular south to the commercial aircrafts, but obviously lower then them, and I can hear and see them coming from a mile away sometimes more, seems they go around the Newark Airport restricted circle and my location is then a straight line to their parking hangers a few miles away.
Am I legal to be flying there, and avoiding them? Should I assume that the commercial jets are above 400 feet once they exit the airport restricted zones? Am I in compliance and legally ok?

I also do work for the Elizabeth NJ police dept, and they have a UAV SPECIAL TEAMS UNIT and that is the next town over, and is fully in the airport restricted zone, so one of my buddies I do the shirts and drone decals for is the Sergeant that leads that special unit so I will be picking his brain too .
PhantomFandom, thank you for sharing your knowledge to us newbies

Reactions: bcfd29
Thank you very much for the straight truth, even though you reassured my sadness. BUT REALLY NO CHANCE OF MISSILES? :)
It said as I interpreted - damage my device, thought the Sunday morning newspaper would read MAVIC AIR 2 shot down in a blaze of glory.
I really appreciate your specific to the point understandable reply, So may I pick your brain on another quick topic PhantomF,
My business Is located approx 500-1000 feet South outside the Newark Airport restricted zone, so I just fly south from my spot to avoid that area, but around 7pm usually daily the do change flight patterns ( more noticeable now with sunset at the 8;20 pm area) and the commercial airliners from Newark make a hard right and fly from directly over my business to maybe 2000 feet south ( outside the restricted circle) am I okay to fly since they do not change any restrictions on the maps, I really am impressed with the ma2 and have learned so much since early June from flying and reading this forum daily, ( I do wish that it had the side obstacle avoidance as then it would be the perfect package) the one feature that is awesome atleast for me is the manned aircraft in area alert, sometimes I can’t see anything, or after I go low I still never see anything, but not the case at my business, I can see them while in the restricted area, then they make that hard right turn towards my area, so I will lower my altitude or some times switch to sport and full throttle more south ( in view still) but knowing I’m far away. Is there anything I should be concerned about legally being in similar proximity to those airliners, also about 7:30, most of the helicopters ( and all the major NY news copters ) also head back To a smaller airport on the edge of my town also kind of above me but perpendicular south to the commercial aircrafts, but obviously lower then them, and I can hear and see them coming from a mile away sometimes more, seems they go around the Newark Airport restricted circle and my location is then a straight line to their parking hangers a few miles away.
Am I legal to be flying there, and avoiding them? Should I assume that the commercial jets are above 400 feet once they exit the airport restricted zones? Am I in compliance and legally ok?

I also do work for the Elizabeth NJ police dept, and they have a UAV SPECIAL TEAMS UNIT and that is the next town over, and is fully in the airport restricted zone, so one of my buddies I do the shirts and drone decals for is the Sergeant that leads that special unit so I will be picking his brain too .
PhantomFandom, thank you for sharing your knowledge to us newbies
You are good to fly as long as you are flying legally per the FAA regulations and the controlled airspace where you are. The FAA charts take into account the flight patterns for any given airport and as such, there typically would be no concern for shifting of runways and departure/arrival routes. Just stay legal.

Also if you are doing any drone flying for either your business or anyone else, then you must also hold a Part 107 license.

thank you again for the reply, I feel safer now. The reason I fly over and around my business is because my hours during the week ( owning the business ) are long and tough and exhausting as I do screen printing for shirts and the NJ heat is ok its the real feel temp due to our insane humidity ( been over 105 degrees 80% humidity in my shop), so i been taking my spare time at shop just to fly recreationally just to enjoy my new hobby, not conducting any business operations with my drone. I am planning to get my Part 107 license as soon as I know ill have time to study, since it looks like we may be doing a lot of home schooling teaching our kids comes September, so my time may be limited
thanks again for you information, very informative

You should check the FAA TFR listing directly to see when the TFR is canceled. I've noticed that sometimes AirMap / Kittyhawk / DJI will show an active TFR when the TFR has been canceled. If the FAA says the TFR is no longer in place then it would be legal for you to fly regardless of what Kittyhawk, etc is saying.

(you might have to "self unlock" for the TFR "authorization zone" with DJI to be able to take off though)

Typically late Wednesday or early Thursday my anticipation of conquering the skies of the great garden state ( yup JERSEY STRONG) comes to a sad reality of how our government can always find a way to ruin my weekends. Whenever our President decides to come home for a round of golf at one of his NJ properties the skies turn RED. The last time was a couple weeks ago and he ended up cancelling the weekend trip ( since there was confusion and and uproar if he needed to be part of the NJ out of state quarantine order). After he cancelled the trip here the restrictions stayed in place, so my questions are and I’m a newbie to the laws as my ma2 is my first drone that I feel comfortable letting go 10 feet away from me And expecting not to lose it forever. Am I not allowed to fly While In the temporary red circle, is there a certain height I can go and still be ok to fly. If it is set up as restricted for Presidential reasons but he cancelled and is live in another state and the restrictions stay on my map what can I do? Is the map just a guide or is it law? I read the details page several times as if I knew what it meant, all I got from it was as a recreational drone operator, if I fly during the red my ma2 will be shot down over my house by an F18 missile and I should expect 5 black Chevy suburbans racing through my neighborhood looking for me and and swarming my house.
Is It illegal to fly? Is there a way I can still fly this weekend since I’m expecting a couple ma2 goodies in route to me now from B&H that I purchased yesterday and paid an extra $18 to get today.
Thanks in advance for the replies, answers, suggestions, and clarifications of the TEMPORARY RED CIRCLE OF SADDNESS. Or as I been calling it to my family as HERE WE GO AGAIN, ITS A TOMATO WEEKEND ( since NJ is the garden state, and the red circles look like tomatoes, and don’t like to eat them so it’s another reason to HATE TOMATOES ). I attached the map pics and the details

View attachment 108730View attachment 108731View attachment 108736View attachment 108737
When POTUS is at his Mar a Lago home in Palm Beach, there is a TFR. It’s a 30 mile radius from his home. Thinking he had left town, I tried to fly, and was not allowed to take off. Summer here is the off season, so I know he won’t be here. Lesson learned.

When POTUS is at his Mar a Lago home in Palm Beach, there is a TFR. It’s a 30 mile radius from his home. Thinking he had left town, I tried to fly, and was not allowed to take off. Summer here is the off season, so I know he won’t be here. Lesson learned.
Yeah that 30 mile radius is always off. I live 32.5 miles from PBI and am always grounded when POTUS arrives.

Reactions: Bxr532001
You should check the FAA TFR listing directly to see when the TFR is canceled. I've noticed that sometimes AirMap / Kittyhawk / DJI will show an active TFR when the TFR has been canceled. If the FAA says the TFR is no longer in place then it would be legal for you to fly regardless of what Kittyhawk, etc is saying.

(you might have to "self unlock" for the TFR "authorization zone" with DJI to be able to take off though)
Thanks for info again
It’s another RED CIRCLE WEEKEND FOR ME, but I thought he was in Ohio, how do I check the FAA TFR listing that you mentioned?

Thanks for info again
It’s another RED CIRCLE WEEKEND FOR ME, but I thought he was in Ohio, how do I check the FAA TFR listing that you mentioned?

TFR over NJ seems very much active this weekend.

TFR over NJ seems very much active this weekend.
thank you

YUP, HE IS DOING THE 3:30 NEWS CONFERENCE TODAY TO EXPLAIN HE IS SIGNING AN EXECUTIVE ORDER ON THE STIMULUS

FROM HIS GOLF COARSE HOME IN BEDMINSTER NJ,

3:30 may be pushed back as I heard he is having a bad round on the back 9

another wasted weekend here in central / northern jersey

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929