DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What if remote goes dead mid flight?

JOE CHRONIC

Reactions
Hypothetical... Lets say you update your home point before take off and you're
out flying when your remote dies, will the drone (MA2) return home with no signal from the
remote that went dead?

awesome, thanks guys...

Hypothetical ... will the drone (MA2) return home with no signal from the
remote that went dead?
You'll find lots of interesting and useful information in the manual for your drone.
For instance, this is on p14:
i-dRdrBKc-M.jpg

But don't just take DJI's word on it.
Fly out 100 ft in a clear, open area and switch off your controller to see what happens.

You can change what happens in the settings. You can choose "return to home" and set the RTH altitude or you can choose "hover" and the drone will stop and wait for you.

If you're flying under a tree canopy or under a bridge, you might want to change the setting to hover so your drone doesn't fly up into something. At all other times, I have mine set to RTH.

I have flown out of range several times and it will RTH until it gets close enough to me for the signal to connect again.

Reactions: DJ Wes
That sounds scary!
It may, but it's better to do this under controlled circumstances as a test of the system's capabilities versus having it happen on its own for the first time causing possible shock and lockup on the part of the pilot. When testing, you also know that you can turn the RC back on and resume control.

It is better to have a control test then to find out later what is not working.

I don't use it but I am testing return home every week.

I want to know that my settings and RTH is working.

It is better to have a control test then to find out later what is not working.

I don't use it but I am testing return home every week.

I want to know that my settings and RTH is working.
This I should (and will) do. I played with RTH when I first got my MA2 but haven done it lately... maybe this turn off test too.

fly out a little ways and turn your controller off and see what happens.
I tested it for myself in a local field. Flew out about 50 mtrs VLOS. Turned off my RC. My MA2 hovered for 11 seconds and then went back to the previous flight point before rising to my RTH altitude and then came straight back home.

i can vouch for the turn off the RC test it does work

A few weeks back I took my Mavic 2 Zoom to the local radio control flying field to test both fail safe RTH and low battery RTH. Took off, ascended to 50 feet and flew out 100 feet or so and then shut off the controller. Maybe 10 seconds later, drone executed RTH. Then, relaunched, flew around and took some pics and then just hovered not too far away until the battery level triggered RTH. That, too, executed perfectly. I now have a higher comfort level having tested that functionality in a very controlled environment.

There is on old and wise saying: Read The Manual !
Under old technicians it´s abbreviated: RTFM ! Use your imagination for the F ..
You can switch order as well on a PG level....RTMF...... Read The Manual First :p But yeah ;)

There is on old and wise saying: Read The Manual !
Under old technicians it´s abbreviated: RTFM ! Use your imagination for the F ..
Now days you can read the manual, watch the videos and search the forum.

I was reading the manual while waiting for my MA2 to arrive and then to the videos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000