DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Ipad to choose?

Ipad type you use.

• Total voters

bmoore1118

Reactions
I am looking to buy an ipad for my air 2s. I do about 75% photo 25% video.

It would be nice to use the ipad attached to the controller but its not required.

Wondering what you recommend or have used with editing photos in lightroom and videos in adobes app?

I am looking to buy an ipad for my air 2s. I do about 75% photo 25% video.

It would be nice to use the ipad attached to the controller but its not required.

Wondering what you recommend or have used with editing photos in lightroom and videos in adobes app?
I gotta go iPad Pro because of the XDR display. I know it’s tough to try to explain to someone how good a screen is without them seeing it and of course you can see that in photos or on the internet but the screen is so much better on the Pro. Like light years difference.

Any of them are fast enough for whatever you want to do so it really just comes down to the screen and size. I think you’ll want the larger real estate screen for editing even if it’s a little unwieldy for flying but it makes up for it with being so much brighter which makes the flying experience so much better.

I use a 9.7 inch iPad gen 6 with Wi-Fi and cellular. The size is larger than the Mini but smaller than the big iPad Pro. Bought it used and looks like new. Plus saved a lot of money. If I want to do editing, I can do it on my laptop. It fits the tablet holder nice and still keeps the weight down. It is bright enough that I don’t need to use a sun shade.

I use a 9.7 inch iPad gen 6 with Wi-Fi and cellular. The size is larger than the Mini but smaller than the big iPad Pro. Bought it used and looks like new. Plus saved a lot of money. If I want to do editing, I can do it on my laptop. It fits the tablet holder nice and still keeps the weight down. It is bright enough that I don’t need to use a sun shade.
Im shocked that you dont need a sunshade. Do you fly in the shade? Because in direct sunlight, 500nits is not usable.

Also,without a sunscreen,my Ipad 7th gen will often overheat with all the ensuing problems associated,namely CPU maxed out and potential loss of screen..

qvgzrob.jpeg
IPad pro 12.9 can be a bit unwieldy, while it looks awesome(and the pro series being particularly brigit), I imagine even the 11 might not be that practical in the long run.

Something closer to an 8 inch tablet feels like the sweet spot while still gaining an advantage over a phone.

I ended up going with a samsung active3 because it can handle both the hot and cold temperatures better than the iPad. Even tho it doesn't look as sweet it can still get bright enough.

Easy choice for me. iPad Mini 6 is perfect, as big a screen as I would ever want to fly with (or carry around).

You are choosing a screen to display during the flight, not for editing (no rational person edits their video in the field on a tablet). iPad Mini is absolutely perfect for this.

I have the big iPad Pro I guess it’s 11.9 or 12.9? I love using it and I think it has saved me a few times when I saw wires. I absolutely would have missed using my phone but on hot days it does overheat and so I have also bought a tripltek.

Reactions: MA2 317
I have the big iPad Pro I guess it’s 11.9 or 12.9? I love using it and I think it has saved me a few times when I saw wires. I absolutely would have missed using my phone but on hot days it does overheat and so I have also bought a tripltek.
True in HD transmission mode and the details the 12.9 shows it definitely helps, but the range is less to keep the video transmission smooth.

True in HD transmission mode and the details the 12.9 shows it definitely helps, but the range is less to keep the video transmission smooth.
the range is less? are you saying when you use a large monitor with the RC you have less range??

the range is less? are you saying when you use a large monitor with the RC you have less range??
When you enable HD transmission (more data more clarity) versus choosing smooth (lower transmission rate, more smoothness of motion seen but less detail).

Size of the monitor doesn't matter, but higher amount of detail in the transmission has less range (ie 5ghz has more data per packet but can't carry as far vs 2.4ghz).

mine has always been on auto. Do you think many folks set theirs one way or the other on a regular basis?

mine has always been on auto. Do you think many folks set theirs one way or the other on a regular basis?
Depends on their need.

I tend to set mine smooth because I want to avoid the jittery screen transmission as much as possible and I scout out obstacles in advance. I don't like relying completely on my screen to tell me where guy wires are and what not.

Some will set to HD because they're using the video cache or screen recording as their main form of sharing the footage and may just want to see the scene crystal clear always.

If auto is an option (on my air 2s it's either or no auto option shown for that part), then guess it would just kick over into smooth once you get far enough away.

As per my sig., an iPad Mini 6 - However I did have it overheat in the direct sun a couple of time this summer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98