DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is a class E airspace?

Mavic Gang AZ

Reactions
So I do use the FAA app. I also use Hover to make sure I'm not violating any laws however when I fly my Mavic outside. This message keeps popping up on my screen when I'm up in the air saying "this is a controlled airspace class E fly with caution" normally if I need permission there would be a whole bunch of other restrictions popping up and asking me if I have permission to fly their... is this something I should be worried about? as the apps tell me I am OK to fly there but my remote give me warnings? I don't know?

Last edited:
While having a warning is nice, you're not prohibited from flying there while keeping under 400'. Most E airspace starts at 1200' in the US and is 'controlled' for IFR flight and uncontrolled for VFR flight. Or it is a transition zone from 700' up just outside class D airspace (C too maybe?).

Or it is a closed-tower class D airspace from the surface up.

In this last case, you should not be flying there.

Reactions: Mavic Gang AZ
There are areas where class E airspace begins at either the surface or 700 AGL. Outside the transition area Class E airspace starts at 1,200 ft up to but not including 18,000 AGL, the lower part of class A airspace. If you are flying outside the transition area of Class E airspace, the floor starts at 1,200 AGL you are fine as long as you stay below 400 feet AGL.
It is hard to say without looking at a navigational chart to cross reference in which part of Class E airspace you are flying.
It is important to keep in mind that inside the transition area Class E airspace starts at either the surface or 700 ft AGL.

Last edited:
Kind of late to the thread. If I read the map right, my town is one big Class E airspace starting at 700 feet AGL. See SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts look for Brunswick Executive (BXM) pretty much slap in the middle. Does this mean I don't have to go get permission from anyone before I start flying? I do have a client that is located very near the airport and I'd like to stay aware of traffic just in case. What is everyone doing? Are you buying small radios to monitor traffic?

There are areas where class E airspace begins at either the surface or 700 AGL. Outside the transition area Class E airspace starts at 1,200 ft up to but not including 18,000 AGL,

Its 18000 MSL, not AGL.

Kind of late to the thread. If I read the map right, my town is one big Class E airspace starting at 700 feet AGL. See SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts look for Brunswick Executive (BXM) pretty much slap in the middle. Does this mean I don't have to go get permission from anyone before I start flying? I do have a client that is located very near the airport and I'd like to stay aware of traffic just in case. What is everyone doing? Are you buying small radios to monitor traffic?
It looks like the airport doesn't have a control tower and is entirely in class E airspace that begins at 700'. As long as you operate below 400' (assuming you're operating under 107) you should be good anywhere in the area. I would recommend contacting the airport manager and staying away from established traffic patterns.

Reactions: MicheleStapleton
There is a tower, but it's no longer used. (It's a decommissioned former Naval Air Station.)

It looks like the airport doesn't have a control tower and is entirely in class E airspace that begins at 700'. As long as you operate below 400' (assuming you're operating under 107) you should be good anywhere in the area. I would recommend contacting the airport manager and staying away from established traffic patterns.
You mean under 107 as a Commercial Operator or as a Hobbyist.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada