DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is a major downgrade(s) from the Mavic Air to the Mini 2

Nakita Mosquita

Reactions
I have had my Mavic Air for 2 years and love the hobby. Have flown in all seasons in NW Ontario, Canada as well as Kaui, and Roatan over the past 2 years. I am especially drawn to the increased flying time and more reliable communication with Ocusync. While the sensor features are good, the one time I hit the house was because I was in Cinemode and flying sideways. The drone was slow to brake because it was cinemode and hence the collision. I'.m very close to pulling the pin but want to hear from Mavic Air users who are also now flying the Mini 2

The only downgrade for some people will be the DJI Fly app. Other than that I do not see any downgrade at all.

I’ve had all of the Mavic drones except the 2Pro, and a couple of Phantoms. The original Air was by far my favourite. I have eye issues, so sold all of my drones a while back, but when I saw the Mini2 I was pulled back in and bought one - and I’m very impressed. I don’t miss anything from the Air at all. I found the sensors more annoying than helpful, active track was never perfect (plus I had no desire to film myself anyway). The Mini2 has a much better range and connection strength, it’s smaller, and here in the UK I can fly it pretty much anywhere (I won’t, but it’s nice to not worry about these things).

Reactions: raymairjr
I too started off with the Mavic Air (MA) and had it for about 1.5 years. I jetski a lot and always take a drone when I go on trips. I bought a Mavic Mini (MM) and was pretty impressed with it and its small size since it took up about 1/2 the space of the MA. After about a month with the MM, I was content enough to sell the MA. When the MM2 came out I read the reviews and all the praise and decided to pull the trigger on the MM2. I have yet to fly it but I will be flyinging it in the next couple of days. I guess it all depends on your planned use of the drone, but I personally, had no problems going from the MA to the MM, and if the MM2 is that much better than the MM, that's bonus for me. Good Luck!!!

I too started off with the Mavic Air (MA) and had it for about 1.5 years. I jetski a lot and always take a drone when I go on trips. I bought a Mavic Mini (MM) and was pretty impressed with it and its small size since it took up about 1/2 the space of the MA. After about a month with the MM, I was content enough to sell the MA. When the MM2 came out I read the reviews and all the praise and decided to pull the trigger on the MM2. I have yet to fly it but I will be flyinging it in the next couple of days. I guess it all depends on your planned use of the drone, but I personally, had no problems going from the MA to the MM, and if the MM2 is that much better than the MM, that's bonus for me. Good Luck!!!
This is very helpful. Thanks.

I’ve gone from Mavic Pro, horrible camera to Mavic Air, much better camera but very noisy even with low noise props to Mini 2 which only arrived yesterday morning so spent about 4 hours only flying and checking out the handling etc.

I’m loving everything about it so far. Small size and lower noise should attract less attention from the public that ask those stupid questions while your trying to get a job done.

Camera appears to be very good, better than expected though haven’t yet tried anything at night yet which is technically illegal here.

Lack of Sensors doesn’t worry me, I was flying homebuilt quads long before even GPS came along.

New style controller is nice and range appears excellent, already flew 2km.

I think I’m going to love this and trying to imagine how good Mini 3 could be.

I’ve gone from Mavic Pro, horrible camera to Mavic Air, much better camera but very noisy even with low noise props to Mini 2 which only arrived yesterday morning so spent about 4 hours only flying and checking out the handling etc.

I’m loving everything about it so far. Small size and lower noise should attract less attention from the public that ask those stupid questions while your trying to get a job done.

Camera appears to be very good, better than expected though haven’t yet tried anything at night yet which is technically illegal here.

Lack of Sensors doesn’t worry me, I was flying homebuilt quads long before even GPS came along.

New style controller is nice and range appears excellent, already flew 2km.

I think I’m going to love this and trying to imagine how good Mini 3 could be.

Is the camera on the mini 2 better than on the pro ?

Shouldn't be by much. Even my P3A bitrate as determined by info details of the resulting video was close to what the M2Z produced.

Shouldn't be by much. Even my P3A bitrate as determined by info details of the resulting video was close to what the M2Z produced.
The Mavic Air 1 and 2, and the Mini 2 all have better cameras than the Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platrinum. More features and quick shots aswell. The Original Mavic Pro was revolutionary in all ways, but was quickly exceeded by DJI’s later offerings.

What is a major downgrade(s) from the Mavic Air to the Mini 2?

wind resistance and size... for more check the full 50 page online only DJI manuals for the two drones.

What about photo and video quality difference between MA and MM2 at iso 100?
Noise is the same or better with MM2? I got noisy dots with my MA even at iso100 and dark areas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos