DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is an altitude zone - need authorisation?

Drony_Drone

Reactions
Wanting to fly somewhere and it states on the DJI map that it is in an altitude zone. Does this mean that it is linked to altitude, it states 150M. Do you need to do an official unlock of the area or apply to DJI or anything to fly in this zone? ( it’s shown in great on the map).

It’s in UK and we are limited anyway to 120M max height so what is the point of this zone if so?

Thanks

Just out of curiosity where in the UK is it ???
There’s hundreds! Just pick one. It wasn’t anywhere specific, just looking around UK where I may be going and looked in DJI map and there is a lot of grey altitude zones, with differing limits.

There’s hundreds! Just pick one. It wasn’t anywhere specific, just looking around UK where I may be going and looked in DJI map and there is a lot of grey altitude zones, with differing limits.
OK I was just wondering if it somewhere in particular. I must be lucky I don't believe there are any near me (there are no fly zones)

OK I was just wondering if it somewhere in particular. I must be lucky I don't believe there are any near me (there are no fly zones)
Just was looking around UK for places to visit and found a lot and wondered. Also some have a attitude limit of 150M yet the UK limit is 120M anyway, so kind of strange to have a specific altitude zone, linked to 150M!?!

Anyway was wondering if you have to unlock these, or can just fly when want under the limit.

Recently ran into and Alt zone 150 M warning as I was flying out over the lake , caught me completely off guard,
lost my signal and DJI warning also , i had the feeling all the warning were tied together and I am in the US.

So these are like Default settings and restrictions regardless of max and min limits of the drone .

When I got the Warning , I lost signal and the Drone started to RTH on its own.
So I flew 3 More times the same mission and each one had a different result meaning I bypassed the Warning and Shut down by not Hovering in spot over the lake , but just kept flying.

This all happens in a split second , all triggered together because I hovered , on other flights when I fly thru the area I do not get this warning or get shut down and forced to RTH .. my thinking is the one warning triggered the others.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain
and Land on Water

2021-07-25_17h37_37.png

Last edited:
Just was looking around UK for places to visit and found a lot and wondered. Also some have a attitude limit of 150M yet the UK limit is 120M anyway, so kind of strange to have a specific altitude zone, linked to 150M!?!

Anyway was wondering if you have to unlock these, or can just fly when want under the limit.
Where are you getting data for a height limit? Most agencies are not giving limits for Drone flights just flights in general. So when you see 150M that is all aircraft, regardless of the UK limit of 120M that may be imposed to your flights (drone)...Just wondering if this might be the case..Not in UK so have no clue as to which you refer :)

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Recently ran into and Alt zone 150 M warning as I was flying out over the lake , caught me completely off guard,
lost my signal and DJI warning also , i had the feeling all the warning were tied together and I am in the US.

So these are like Default settings and restrictions regardless of max and min limits of the drone .

When I got the Warning , I lost signal and the Drone started to RTH on its own.
So I flew 3 More times the same mission and each one had a different result meaning I bypassed the Warning and Shut down by not Hovering in spot over the lake , but just kept flying.

This all happens in a split second , all triggered together because I hovered , on other flights when I fly thru the area I do not get this warning or get shut down and forced to RTH .. my thinking is the one warning triggered the others.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain
and Land on Water

View attachment 132362
This weekend I expect to fly a mission wholly inside a DJI Altitude Zone - it is part of a long zone connected with the local airport, but outside the area where I would need FAA authorization. You got warnings etc when you flew INTO an Altitude Zone. Do you know what happens if you want to fly an entire mission from within an AZ? It does not look to me like I have to go through any unlock procedures. Thanks in advance for any insights.

It’s in UK and we are limited anyway to 120M max height so what is the point of this zone if so?
DJI limits aren't linked to country laws, but to locations of airports and where they think planes may be flying. Sounds like you are in what they assume is the flight path for an airport so they have put a limit in because of that.

This weekend I expect to fly a mission wholly inside a DJI Altitude Zone - it is part of a long zone connected with the local airport, but outside the area where I would need FAA authorization. You got warnings etc when you flew INTO an Altitude Zone. Do you know what happens if you want to fly an entire mission from within an AZ? It does not look to me like I have to go through any unlock procedures. Thanks in advance for any insights.
As long as you abide by the Alt zone you should be fine,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: WahooBadger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929