DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is that on my panorama?

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
I was shooting a panorama the other day using my Mavic 2 Pro and a Freewell Variable ND filter (5-9) set at or around 6-7, on manual. What is that dark smudge on the image and the banding?

Attachments

• Pano Destacada-smudgejpg.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 373
Looks a bit like it’s due to individual image overlap w/in the pano.
Thank you Tome for answering:

I'm not sure I understand how that would happen. I've done some spectacular images with the camera already, but don't underhand how I did this or how I can prevent from doing it again.

A couple of suggestions from the limited information you have shared.....

1. Vari ND filters are two PL filters sandwiched. In theory 90 deg misalignment of the elements should provide max attenuation. Is it possible that the effect varies slightly with camera rotation during the pano? This would be most pronounced if the exposure setting remained fixed during the acquisition of the images used for stitching.

2. if you shot the images manually was the exposure fixed?

3. I can see no reason how using an ND of any value may be of a benefit in this sort of imaging, probably best to live it off.

The effect is almost certainly a variation in EV between the acquired images.

I don't want to highjack the thread but I had a similar thing happen on the M2 Zoom today, taking a Super Resolution image of a roof. Look at the ridge shingles. The camera did not stitch them together properly.

Attachments

• DJI_0126.jpeg
    8.5 MB · Views: 155
A couple of suggestions from the limited information you have shared.....

1. Vari ND filters are two PL filters sandwiched. In theory 90 deg misalignment of the elements should provide max attenuation. Is it possible that the effect varies slightly with camera rotation during the pano? This would be most pronounced if the exposure setting remained fixed during the acquisition of the images used for stitching.

2. if you shot the images manually was the exposure fixed?

3. I can see no reason how using an ND of any value may be of a benefit in this sort of imaging, probably best to live it off.

The effect is almost certainly a variation in EV between the acquired images.
The exposure was fixed. I did not change the exposure during the shot.

I used the ND filters in this case, not for motion blur, but because of the brightness of the image without the filter. Let me try this again when the light is less without the filter to see if I can eliminate the artifact.

Reactions: Thomas B
The exposure was fixed. I did not change the exposure during the shot.

I used the ND filters in this case, not for motion blur, but because of the brightness of the image without the filter. Let me try this again when the light is less without the filter to see if I can eliminate the artifact.
The better way to reduce the image brightness would have been to manually set, or allow the camera to determine, a higher shutter speed.

ND filters provide no benefit here.

If you are shooting stills with your drone, the only reason to use ND filters is to force a longer shutter speed.
The camera's shutter speed goes up to 1/8000th which will cope with more brightness than you'll ever encounter.

Reactions: Greenflash
If you are shooting stills with your drone, the only reason to use ND filters is to force a longer shutter speed.
The camera's shutter speed goes up to 1/8000th which will cope with more brightness than you'll ever encounter.
I guess my problem is that when I put the drone in the air I want to take advantage of both the video and single still capabilities of the camera on the same flight. So I will fly the bird out a certain distance on video using the ND filter for motion blur, and then, snap a few stills. On the insurance of this image with the dark shadow, I decided that while I was in the air, I would also shoot a panorama. I didn't want to land and take off the filter and then put the drone up in the air again for the pan shot. Doesn't everyone shoot bot video and stills on the same flight????

Reactions: Hank Fink
I guess my problem is that when I put the drone in the air I want to take advantage of both the video and single still capabilities of the camera on the same flight. So I will fly the bird out a certain distance on video using the ND filter for motion blur, and then, snap a few stills. On the insurance of this image with the dark shadow, I decided that while I was in the air, I would also shoot a panorama. I didn't want to land and take off the filter and then put the drone up in the air again for the pan shot. Doesn't everyone shoot bot video and stills on the same flight????
Fair enough- your not alone here. I do the same, expect most do. I use fixed ND filter though, can't see the advantage of variable as a benefit when you factor in cost, weight penalty and the fact you have a lot more elements in front of the lens to degrade the image.

I added the clarification as you had specifically suggested your intent with the filter was "because of the brightness of the image without the filter". That, as you seemingly now claim to appreciate, is not a valid reason for its use.

Fair enough- your not alone here. I do the same, expect most do. I use fixed ND filter though, can't see the advantage of variable as a benefit when you factor in cost, weight penalty and the fact you have a lot more elements in front of the lens to degrade the image.

I added the clarification as you had specifically suggested your intent with the filter was "because of the brightness of the image without the filter". That, as you seemingly now claim to appreciate, is not a valid reason for its use.
So let me get this straight. Did I make a mistake in ordering variable ND filters? With my old Mavic Air I used dedicated ND filters ( e.g.: 4ND, 8ND, 16ND, 32ND). Never had this problem. Maybe I should just get a16ND and 32 ND.????Help anyone.

So let me get this straight. Did I make a mistake in ordering variable ND filters? With my old Mavic Air I used dedicated ND filters ( e.g.: 4ND, 8ND, 16ND, 32ND). Never had this problem. Maybe I should just get a16ND and 32 ND.????Help anyone.
It depends. There are two principal issues of relevance.

1. Is there a significant weight difference between the variable ND and single element fixed? To the extent there is does it impact the performance of the gimble?

2. The variable attenuation of the sky with changes in relationship between camera and sun orientation that provides for usually off looking changes in saturation and apparent brightness across the frame with PL filters also applied to variable ND (an expected issue given the variable ND is two polarising filters).

I’m many instances the convenience doesn’t outweigh the performance disadvantages.

How does a cheap zoom lens compare in performance to a several fixed focal length lenses? Often not very well-

I have the Freewell variable ND filters for my M2P,.... there is no problem with any weigh/ gimbal movement. I own dedicated PP ND and NDPL in multiple flavors, but enjoy the convenience factor of the latter unles I know I will use a specific one.

It's a question between quality & easy handling ... all thing's in front of the sensor degrades the quality somewhat.

Also remember that with enough height (usually above 30 meters) the possible motion blur during filming isn't so pronounced anymore ... the ND can be left off (the 180 degree rule isn't so important to follow anymore).

Reactions: Rudiger
I had a similar but even worse issue trying a 360 degree panorama with a variable ND filter. WHAT A MESS IT MADE! It took me a few minutes to understand what happened but I'm convinced that panos with ND filters that include vertical movement and will never blend frames well. But don't get me wrong.. Variable filters work great on individual shots where the sky is bright and the ground is in shade, and other similar contrasts.

Last edited:
it might be an interesting experiment, if you are capturing all the single pano images, to try and create a pano in photoshop/lightroom to see if it is the dji pano software messing things up

I get this sort of thing with polarizing filters--as reply #4 states, the filter is two polarizers. So, if they work as polarizers in this particular filter then the lower density (the darker blue sky) is a feature of orientation to the sun. I use PTGui to stitch and there is a function under the exposure menu that optimizes the pan exposure, and this deals with this problem quite nicely.

This effect (changing saturation of blue in the sky) looks to me to be similar to the effect I get when making Panos using an SLR and a circular polarizer lens filter. Are you sure that the ND filter you are using are not polarized?

Reactions: scro
This effect (changing saturation of blue in the sky) looks to me to be similar to the effect I get when making Panos using an SLR and a circular polarizer lens filter. Are you sure that the ND filter you are using are not polarized?
They are.

I had a similar but even worse issue trying a 360 degree panorama with a variable ND filter. WHAT A MESS IT MADE! It took me a few minutes to understand what happened but I'm convinced that panos with ND filters that include vertical movement and will never blend frames well. But don't get me wrong.. Variable filters work great on individual shots where the sky is bright and the ground is in shade, and other similar contrasts.
You might be confusing ND with ND grad- your comments have some applicability to the later with little or no relevance to ND which the subject of this discussion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair