DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is that white spot in my videos ??

Coco 60

Reactions
Has anyone noticed , i guess some of you did, when playing back video footages shot in sunny days when the sun is in your back i always see a pale spot on the ground following the drones direction as if the DJI app would try to cover the shadow made by the drone !?

Thanks slup i'll have a look at that.. but is there a way to get rid of it with a good video editor ?
For pics it can be done with a layer mask in Adobe PS for instance, for vids it's much more complicated ... the easiest is to avoid having the drone shadow in the frame.

It can be seen in a far distance also ...

1590998096865.png

Last edited:
Spots like that will show up on DSLR camera stills also. It’s called lens’s flare, which is caused by light shining into the lens that is reflected and scattered inside the lens. On my lenses I use a hood which usually cures the problem. Try a hood and see if that work. Be mindful of the light source too.

Shows up on all of my gopro and Runcam videos and stills as well, and it’s not lens flare. That’s a whole other thing...

Spots like that will show up on DSLR camera stills also. It’s called lens’s flare, which is caused by light shining into the lens that is reflected and scattered inside the lens. On my lenses I use a hood which usually cures the problem. Try a hood and see if that work. Be mindful of the light source too.
Nope... lens flare occurs when direct light or a bright reflection reach the front lens element. The optical phenomenons the OP is talking about is seen when the sun is behind the camera... in the spot in the pic or vid where the camera shadow is (the drone in this case).

Reactions: jrboolander
I've had the same thing on my old X-Star and when looking at a bunch of You Tube videos pre-purchase, noticed it in their footage as well.

Nope... lens flare occurs when direct light or a bright reflection reach the front lens element. The optical phenomenons the OP is talking about is seen when the sun is behind the camera... in the spot in the pic or vid where the camera shadow is (the drone in this case).
This is sometimes seen from window seat of plane if sun angle is right.

I ordered a hood from Amazon two months ago, still waiting for it !

Has anyone noticed , i guess some of you did, when playing back video footages shot in sunny days when the sun is in your back i always see a pale spot on the ground following the drones direction as if the DJI app would try to cover the shadow made by the drone !?
It is called Heiligenschein and it's just optical physics.
It's completely different from flare.
You will only ever see Heiligenschein when the sun is behind the camera and a lens hood won't make any difference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme