DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the best practice in flying over the Sea?

AbUAVdC

Reactions
What could be the best configuration on Mavic Pro to avoid potential loss? IE. A ship is sailing with a ground speed of 24 km per hour. Or just drifting at 2 km per hour. The thing is, Once the Mavic starts the home point is automatically recorded. Can a Mavic land anywhere away from the initial home point recorded? What’s the best configuration that must be adjusted before taking off. GPs Signal is real strong in the middle of the sea! Thanks in Advance

Reactions: Yuvi
In that setting, once the aircraft is in line of sight if you want to gain control manually, can it land anywhere regardless of the homepoint as long as within the range? I.E. 40 meters?

I've flown to and from my boat a few times. I've basically been practicing, taking baby steps, before going deep sea fishing or whale watching with it. I can tell you that is it pretty easy to land in your hand (with all sensors disabled) if you are moving slowly or just floating. With that said I've only done this in ideal conditions (low wind, calm seas). Having the drone follow the remote didn't work for me, the software gave an error that my cell signal wasn't strong enough, so apparently this feature needs cell service and GPS. I hope that is actually incorrect, but it has been my experience so far.

I'm more concerned about the initialization process of the drone while on the boat than I am about flying to and from I think the IMU could easily get confused during the startup process if the boat is yawing back and forth or in any rough sea condition.

Reactions: AbUAVdC
I catched once with the vision sensors are on. It roars and the aircraft wanted to struggle away :). I just pulled down the left stick and stop ? the motor after some seconds. . Thanks Bro

At 119mtrs Altitude I can’t make a shot for whole ship. Following all your inputs. I manage this shot 119mtrs. Any suggestions? In the mids of the sea. Dies tge 400ft max altitude still to follow?

At 119mtrs Altitude I can’t make a shot for whole ship. Following all your inputs. I manage this shot 119mtrs. Any suggestions? In the mids of the sea. Dies tge 400ft max altitude still to follow?
In the middle of the ocean, there will be no 400 ft limit.
Any planes there are going to be 35000+ feet up.
You can also get more ship in by making a diagonal:
DJI_0935a-X3.jpg

I would set home point as your controller and if need to use when in line of sight cancel rth and take over manually...
Thanks to your feedback Bro. However, controller home point doesn’t seem so helpful due to mobile device’s so weak even in an open sea. Manual home point setting make me feel comfortable as long as the aircraft is in VLoS. You’re right in both scenarios. I prefer the aircraft as home point as its showing 14 to 18 satellites.

On this Shot, What Ship ? Ground speed was that?
That would have been 12-14 knots.
Thanks to your feedback Bro. However, controller home point doesn’t seem so helpful due to mobile device’s so weak even in an open sea. Manual home point setting make me feel comfortable as long as the aircraft is in VLoS. You’re right in both scenarios. I prefer the aircraft as home point as its showing 14 to 18 satellites.
When the app shows a message about Weak GPS Signal, DJI really means No GPS Signal.
With Apple devices that message can show even when you have a GPS receiver that is enabled.

The main point is to reset during the flight to prevent the drone from trying to RTH to the launch point as the battery gets lower.
At sea I find that resetting to the current location of the aircraft is just as useful for that.

I would set home point as your controller and if need to use when in line of sight cancel rth and take over manually...

Manual home point setting make me feel comfortable as long as the aircraft is in VLoS. You’re right in both scenarios. I prefer the aircraft as home point as its showing 14 to 18 satellites.

FYI. Confirmed in another post . . . I've never used controller as home point, but thought this was the case . . .

When you reset the Home Point to the RC, you're just setting it to the current co-ordinates of the RC at the time. The Home Point does not follow the RC once set.
Losing connection from the device will have no impact.
The Mavic will still RTH to the co-ordinates given when you reset the Home point.

I would simply fly manually, VLOS, the occusync should have no issues with connection, unless metal or other such wifi signal etc etc is a possible problem, but then I think you've confirmed this isn't an issue ??

If you have signal out there to reset home point to controller at various times, it might be prudent to do this, at least if something happened and RTH activated, it will be just a little closer crashing into the sea, or if connection re-establishes whew, back in control.

Learn to do a controller home point quickly, to read your position map well . . . the green line is your friend, but also allow for LEAD of the ship moving to get back faster, read this to intersect.
Return manually with lots of battery, and be especially cautious of wind direction and speed before flying, that is probably the most dangerous part about your flights.

Good to see you're getting into the ship flights.

View attachment 75416
That looks like a thermal image almost
Pity about the bow, but nice Thumbswayup

View attachment 75416

If the water is calm or a ship is not moving, I would do a linear panorama and stitch it later. I do the same with long subjects; wall murals, trees and trains. You will get so much more detail and sharpness. The only issue with the ship may be the moving water though, it might not work out that well between stitch lines but the ships will look crisp!

That would have been 12-14 knots.
That’s quite fast! The relatives speed of the aircraft would be equal upon take offif that’s the case :)

When the app shows a message about Weak GPS Signal, DJI really means No GPS Signal.
With Apple devices that message can show even when you have a GPS receiver that is enabled.

The main point is to reset during the flight to prevent the drone from trying to RTH to the launch point as the battery gets lower.
At sea I find that resetting to the current location of the aircraft is just as useful for that.
Aircraft RTH would be the main setting and should be updated manually then from time to time as long as the aircraft is in VLOS.

FYI. Confirmed in another post . . . I've never used controller as home point, but thought this was the case . . .

When you reset the Home Point to the RC, you're just setting it to the current co-ordinates of the RC at the time. The Home Point does not follow the RC once set.
Losing connection from the device will have no impact.
The Mavic will still RTH to the co-ordinates given when you reset the Home point.

I would simply fly manually, VLOS, the occusync should have no issues with connection, unless metal or other such wifi signal etc etc is a possible problem, but then I think you've confirmed this isn't an issue ?? It’s true.

If you have signal out there to reset home point to controller at various times, it might be prudent to do this, at least if something happened and RTH activated, it will be just a little closer crashing into the sea, or if connection re-establishes whew, back in control.
At sea, I never get less than 10 satellite ? locating the aircarft :). We okay ?? i m this.

Learn to do a controller home point quickly, to read your position map well . . . the green line is your friend, but also allow for LEAD of the ship moving to get back faster, read this to intersect.
Return manually with lots of battery, and be especially cautious of wind direction and speed before flying, that is probably the most dangerous part about your flights.

“I’ll take note on this one ☝️. That’s a good point to learn about”

Good to see you're getting into the ship flights.
Thanks indeed!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121