DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the best way to study to pass the Part 107 test?

JohnnyPhotos

Reactions
I'm going to start studying to take the part 107. My question is, can I do it on my own or do I have to purchase a course. If I anyone has done it without purchasing a course how did you do it?

Of course you can do it on your own. Just have to read/study/take notes etc.
Plenty of you tube vids on how to do it. Start with the Ed Ricker vids and go from there.
There are others also, good to get info from multiple sources.
They will also give links to study related materials.

You still have to pay the actual testing fee, but you save 2/3/4 hundreds bucks from the "courses".....

Reactions: dawgpilot
I personally am taking the course very informative easy to follow @ remote pilots 101 I got a discount from Ken Heron about 30% of lifetime course search you tube Ken heron you find the link below in his comments.

Reactions: 19Taz66
I studied a lot of stuff both from the FAA and from online sources but then I got the Pilot Ware app and went through that a few times and then also went too 3DR.com and did their practice test until I was comfortable with it and then went and took the test.

My question is, can I do it on my own or do I have to purchase a course
You can certainly do it on your own if you want to put in the time. A list of commonly used study resources (and courses) can be found here.

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm going to start studying to take the part 107. My question is, can I do it on my own or do I have to purchase a course. If I anyone has done it without purchasing a course how did you do it?
Get a book or two with Q&A from Amazon. Then take every sample test you can find on the
internet. If you put in the time you will pass.

Those in the GA pilot world would do well to purchase the Sporty’s Remote Pilot app. Has great study materials, flashcard mode, learning modes, practice tests etc. With this however, it is likely more suited to someone with some amount of aviation experience but on the plus side it will literally link you to every important relevant document ever put out by the FAA. Remotepilot101 is also another good one...as MzeroA does a lot of the pilot training videos. Any that want $300 is teach you is a total rip off imo.

I self studied for my 107 using the free materials the FAA publishes, but I already hold a private pilot certificate (hadn't flown airplanes or studied that material for around a decade prior though). It was pretty easy to pick up the 107 material and pass the test with that background, even though it had been a while.

Those in the GA pilot world would do well to purchase the Sporty’s Remote Pilot app. Has great study materials, flashcard mode, learning modes, practice tests etc. With this however, it is likely more suited to someone with some amount of aviation experience but on the plus side it will literally link you to every important relevant document ever put out by the FAA. Remotepilot101 is also another good one...as MzeroA does a lot of the pilot training videos. Any that want $300 is teach you is a total rip off imo.

I would recommend the ASA PrepWare app over Sporty's stuff as it is much better and the questions are frequently updated. And all for $5. Can't beat that!

If you are looking for a free source of information on aviation and aeronautical knowledge, download The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge from the FAA's website. It is by far the most comprehensive and best document I've seen on the fundamentals of aeronautical knowledge. Most of the knowledge questions on the Remote Pilot Knowledge exam are going to come straight from the material in this book. Best of all, its free!

As to the other programs eg King Schools, Sporty's, MZeroA, etc. I think they do nice work but are a little flowery and lack a lot of detail on the subjects in question. I always thought they were more geared toward a broader audience and making flying sound simple rather than thoroughly teaching the fundamentals on these subjects.

Reactions: Carb63
I studied myself for about 6 weeks - recommend the FAA Airman Knowledge from the FAA's site as mentioned before. I had a stack of about 200 flash cards - you need to know a lot of material -- keep taking the sample exams - study and know about air space and weather -- Look at Tony Northrup's YouTube video - good luck - I passed and only missed 3 questions - so you can do it yourself - just need to put in the time - and don't delay taking the test once you are ready -

Get a book or two with Q&A from Amazon. Then take every sample test you can find on the
internet. If you put in the time you will pass.
I agree with Johnny. Be patient and study, then take some on line tests. Go back and study more Until you feel comfortable. I did it this way and passed on the first try.

I just passed it yesterday with a 90%
Wasn’t hard IMO, I watched a YouTube video on it and did the free practice test a few times. Just gotta teach yourself how to read a sectional chart and that’s probably the hardest part for someone who doesn’t know anything about aviation.
I see no need to spend $200+ bucks for this test, they even give you half the answers in the supplement..
I’d say spend a week or two going over charts and know what everything means and how to read latitude and longitude and you should pass.

I just did it using only free online info. Studied hard for about 10 days before taking test. You can do it!

Reactions: Bobby for a Day!
The Pilot Institute course is available on Udemy for about $19 compared to their website price of $150-$250. Look for the course title “UAS/Drone Remote Pilot Test Prep for Part 107.”

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore