DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the expected flight path for the following RTH scenario.

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

Distance from home point 18m.
"RTH at current altitude" enabled.
Trigger point 2m below home point, wrt to trigger point a 12m high wall (my house) across the line of flight (10m high when seen from the home point).
Obstacle avoidance disabled i.e. forward and rearward looking sensors not active in normal flight.
RTH height 25m.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Distance from home point 18m.
"RTH at current altitude" enabled.
Trigger point 2m below home point, wrt to trigger point a 12m high wall (my house) across the line of flight (10m high when seen from the home point).
Obstacle avoidance disabled i.e. forward and rearward looking sensors not active in normal flight.
RTH height 25m.
Thanks

According to the manual:

If the aircraft is between 5 m and 20 m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins:
If the RTH at Current Altitude option is enabled the aircraft flies to the Home Point at the current altitude unless the current altitude is less than 2 m, in which case the aircraft ascends to 2 m
and then flies to the Home Point at a speed of 3 m/s.

So the height at RTH triggered is -2 metres wrt the launch home point. You’re less than 20-metres from the home point so the altitude is less than 2-metres, therefore I would expect the aircraft to ascend 4-metres and return to the launch point and land.

That, of course, is assuming I read your question correctly.

It climbed a bit, turned to face the home point, paused, then started climbing.
In truth I had forgotten about the 'between 5 and 20m' thing and was expecting it to just land, so I was a bit surprised but not concerned. I could always cancel the RTH as I was stood next to the trigger point.
I thought that for some unkown reason it was going to go up to the RTH height but as soon as it got above the roof it moved towards the homepoint, THAT put the wind up my sails. I cancelled the RTH whilst it was still over the roof and sent it up.
Having read the manual, again, and about the "RTH at current altitude " thing, I am wondering if the following is an explanation.
It was trying to get to the home point in accordance with "RTH at current altitude" but the forward looking sensors were reactivated for the RTH and saw the house, so it climbed until the house no longer blocked its flight path. At that point it started to move towards the home point.

In truth I had forgotten about the 'between 5 and 20m' thing and was expecting it to just land, so I was a bit surprised but not concerned. I could always cancel the RTH as I was stood next to the trigger point.
I thought that for some unkown reason it was going to go up to the RTH height but as soon as it got above the roof it moved towards the homepoint, THAT put the wind up my sails. I cancelled the RTH whilst it was still over the roof and sent it up.
Having read the manual, again, and about the "RTH at current altitude " thing, I am wondering if the following is an explanation.
It was trying to get to the home point in accordance with "RTH at current altitude" but the forward looking sensors were reactivated for the RTH and saw the house, so it climbed until the house no longer blocked its flight path. At that point it started to move towards the home point.

Yes, I have to believe the sensors must have kicked-in. Re-reading your message again, the climb to 2-metres above home point would have only taken it part way up the side of your house wall. The fact that it continued to climb was good and it ‘should’ have cleared the house and returned to the home point.

Do you feel brave enough to try it again and let it do its thing?

Reactions: old man mavic
NO lol , it was about a metre clear of the roof and below the ridge line, EEK. Besides that height would put it straight into a fir tree adjacent to the landing area, the trees around the house are why the RTH height is 25m

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SkyeHigh
Well I had the nerve to do it again today, same thing though possibly slightly higher over the roof.
I also tried it UNDER an adjacent Chesnut to see if the upward looking sensors would see the canopy.
They didn't, I had my finger over the RTH/cancel button so it only shredded a few leaves. That was a bit surprisng but the bottom of the canopy is a bit spartan and the tree did loose quite a few leaves in a gale a couple of weeks ago

Well I had the nerve to do it again today, same thing though possibly slightly higher over the roof.
I also tried it UNDER an adjacent Chesnut to see if the upward looking sensors would see the canopy.
They didn't, I had my finger over the RTH/cancel button so it only shredded a few leaves. That was a bit surprisng but the bottom of the canopy is a bit spartan and the tree did loose quite a few leaves in a gale a couple of weeks ago

Nothing like a little trimming!
Glad it survived it’s close shave.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada