DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the future of the Mini 2

mtbmatty

Reactions
The mini 2 still seems to be a popular drone, despite being a 2 year old model.

Will Dji continue to support this drone in terms of parts and firmware,even now that the mini 3 has been released??

I would imagine they would (I at least think they should) it still seems to be relevant in terms of features and price.

So will it be phased out??

They seem to all be phased out with time as new models are released.
How long who knows 🤷‍♂️

DJI's moves are hard to guess. There are factors to take into consideration in their decision making. It appears that the Mini 3 doesn't cost that much more to manufacture but the margin difference between the Mini 2 and Mini 3 is HUGE. No bundled flymore combo at a discount for the Mini 3 and the separate flymore has less stuff than in previous packages. The same, to a lesser degree could be said for the the Mini SE and the Mini 2. There is a $120 difference between the SE and Mini 2, and probably not a lot more costs associated with the Mini 2. The tooling and parts for the Mini 2 are in place, so perhaps they'll make a minor modification to the Mini 2, perhaps dumbing it down a hair and rebrand it the Mini SE+ and keep the Mini 2 pricing?

Compared to anything else on the market, unless you're looking for a bigger drone, where the Air2s fills the bill, the Mini 2 right now is the best drone value on the market. If memory serves, you can buy a refurb Mini2 flymore combo for $479 and what they ship could very well be "overstock" (?). The batteries and charger will be new.

I feel like the Mini 2 will continue for a little while as the 'entry level' option, otherwise they probably would have a "Mini 3" instead of a "Mini 3 Pro" (the "pro" seems to distinguish itself as a different class when looking at product offerings).

So my speculation is that the Mini 2 will continue to be supported until they come out with a non-pro version of the Mini 3. Given the price drop on the Mini 2 recently it's a pretty good deal imo, but the Air 2S is a much nicer drone to me.

The other speculation I have is that the Mini 2 will probably be officially discontinued (in the US) in December (or at least by September 2023 when the FAA Remote ID rule goes into effect for flyers). Since the Mini 3 Pro can broadcast Remote ID, but the Mini 2 cannot comply unless DJI starts including a Real ID module with it, or can somehow upgrade the firmware to support it.

Well I do hope they continue making the Mini 2, and consequently supporting it, for selfish reasons since I fly one. Remote ID while flying at night is going to be clunky though, as I fly with two strobes, one up one down. Where will I put the ID module? On top I guess.

Well I do hope they continue making the Mini 2, and consequently supporting it, for selfish reasons since I fly one. Remote ID while flying at night is going to be clunky though, as I fly with two strobes, one up one down. Where will I put the ID module? On top I guess.
Can probably end up moving the strobes to the legs depending on which model they are. One on both legs should provide closer to a 360 view for both ground and aircraft viewing.

The problem I see with putting anything on top is that it seems to be where the GPS antennas are... But on the flipside, the legs are where the transmission antennas are.

Can probably end up moving the strobes to the legs depending on which model they are. One on both legs should provide closer to a 360 view for both ground and aircraft viewing.

The problem I see with putting anything on top is that it seems to be where the GPS antennas are... But on the flipside, the legs are where the transmission antennas are.
Thanks. Good thoughts. Currently the big ACR on top in the middle of the chassis does not interfere with gps. For grins I put both strobes on top and flew without issue, except I couldn’t fly far before losing Vlos. Blinding when it’s on the ground like that, and probably hard on an epileptic. I ask bystanders about that before powering up for night flights.

Since the FAA has made it possible to fly at night, drone producers should incorporate strobe into their aircraft. For the Mini 2 it could easily be done such that the aircraft could be seen for 3 miles in any direction from any attitude/altitude and it wouldn’t raise the weight above 250g. How nice would it be to takeoff/land with strobes dimmed or off, then full power when requested, all from the app. Running strobes from the flight battery would reduce flight time, a price I would be willing to pay, if, the price were less than 20% total flight time per battery.

How about a Mini 2+ with incorporated strobes and RID. Building on success….

Thanks. Good thoughts. Currently the big ACR on top in the middle of the chassis does not interfere with gps. For grins I put both strobes on top and flew without issue, except I couldn’t fly far before losing Vlos. Blinding when it’s on the ground like that, and probably hard on an epileptic. I ask bystanders about that before powering up for night flights.

Since the FAA has made it possible to fly at night, drone producers should incorporate strobe into their aircraft. For the Mini 2 it could easily be done such that the aircraft could be seen for 3 miles in any direction from any attitude/altitude and it wouldn’t raise the weight above 250g. How nice would it be to takeoff/land with strobes dimmed or off, then full power when requested, all from the app. Running strobes from the flight battery would reduce flight time, a price I would be willing to pay, if, the price were less than 20% total flight time per battery.

Using strobes is only for alerting other aircrafts, they cannot be used to say that you have VLOS at further distance (though I know at night it would be pretty impossible to have VLOS without least something)

Least that's how it is currently.

But far as strobes running down the battery, consider that something like the Firehouse technology Arc V uses such a tiny battery (under 500mA I think) but can blink for a good 5 to 6 hours. I don't think having two of those kind of led cells (when the arc v uses 5 of em) is going to hurt battery life or weight any.

Also regarding VLOS and remote ID, it seems if the Drone natively supports remote ID, VLOS won't be required. But for modules or no remote ID, it will be. Least after end of 2023.

This!

Strobes are very helpful for VLOS, even in daytime and especially with tiny grey aircraft against a grey sky. There are already a bunch of LEDs on board, all they need to do is upgrade them.

A Strobe would have essentially zero effect on flight battery life, IMHO. My (fantastically bright) Firehouse V runs for hours on a battery that can't be much bigger than a bean.

This!

Strobes are very helpful for VLOS, even in daytime and especially with tiny grey aircraft against a grey sky. There are already a bunch of LEDs on board, all they need to do is upgrade them.

A Strobe would have essentially zero effect on flight battery life, IMHO. My (fantastically bright) Firehouse V runs for hours on a battery that can't be much bigger than a bean.

No lie, that Firehouse is a beast! I think it would go 10 miles in a dark desert, though I have no way to prove that here in SC. With a few minor DJI upgrades, I think the Mini 2 would continue flying off the shelves (double entendre intended). Out of the box and thru all it’s upgrades mine has been flawless. Maybe I just got lucky. I think DJI should hang onto a winner. It ain’t fast but it sure flies pretty.

Reactions: DSRT_VLTR
I guess time will tell. I would like to get a mini 2 in the near future, gonna keep an eye out for a sale.

I’m new to this so Will the remote ID be mandatory for all drones or only those registered with the FAA

I guess time will tell. I would like to get a mini 2 in the near future, gonna keep an eye out for a sale.

I’m new to this so Will the remote ID be mandatory for all drones or only those registered with the FAA
All drones.

From December onward Drone manufacturers must include it in drones. Hence why I suspect the mini 2 may be discontinued if they don't add it somehow.

But if you have one without remote ID, you can still fly but only in specific places (usually community/club requested airspace) and must keep visual line of sight.

Adding a module allows you to fly outside of those specific areas like the ones incorporated, but require VLOS as well for those.

Reactions: mtbmatty
All drones.

From December onward Drone manufacturers must include it in drones. Hence why I suspect the mini 2 may be discontinued if they don't add it somehow.

But if you have one without remote ID, you can still fly but only in specific places (usually community/club requested airspace) and must keep visual line of sight.

Adding a module allows you to fly outside of those specific areas like the ones incorporated, but require VLOS as well for those.
Good info, thank you.
i just read an article that speculated that when the time comes it may only take a software update to become compliant. I also saw that dji has a few faa approved drones already, and hopefully more to follow.

Good info, thank you.
i just read an article that speculated that when the time comes it may only take a software update to become compliant. I also saw that dji has a few faa approved drones already, and hopefully more to follow.
I think they upgraded what was able to be upgraded already. To speculate why they didn't put the Mini 2 on that list is probably due to the hardware included in the drone itself. The RC-N1 remote is capable of up to Ocusync 3+ and switches based on what drone it is bound to.

The Air 2S and Mini 3 Pro is Ocusync 3.0, Mavic 3 is Ocusync 3+ but the Mini 2, Mini SE, and Air 2 are Ocusync 2.0 and old Mini Enhanced Wifi.

It's possible that the same hardware that could be utilized for Remote ID is only present in Ocusync 3 and above. If that's the case, the Mini 2 won't be able to simply get a firmware upgrade to make it possible to be on Remote ID otherwise they would have already done it with every other drone on the list.

It'll make it to where only the new Mini 3 Pro will have both remote ID and not need to be registered due to being a sub-249g drone. Throw a module on a Mini 2 and you have to register it if it pushes it past 249g.

Good afternoon to all-

Well, Fellers, if I hear that DJI is looking to discontinue the Mini 2, I will probably order another one- I have two- and a pile of batteries. I have few pieces of equipment that work as well as my Mini 2 drones- superb little bits of technology.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Good afternoon to all-

Well, Fellers, if I hear that DJI is looking to discontinue the Mini 2, I will probably order another one- I have two- and a pile of batteries. I have few pieces of equipment that work as well as my Mini 2 drones- superb little bits of technology.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed
I really like the mini 2 especially after I upgraded it with motor covers and airscrew props. Hope to keep it flying .

Mini 2 can handle 4-5 km range with good wind resistance and providing very nice camera by using new DJI controller in good prices... That means Mini 2 provides minimum requiretments for beginner and mid. level pilots. There is no big problem issue about that drones. So, that makes them one of most supportable drone in the market just like Spark. Most of the time i can't find a reason myself to upgrade Mini 3 Pro because of that. I only plan to upgrade it to Air 2 maybe. DJI should really support Mini 2 drones..

Why is VLOS a big deal for recreational pilots but non-existent for commercial delivery? Can't wait to see the the first commercial delivery drone tangled in power lines!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803