DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM HEIGHT FOR MAVIC 2

E90RAW

Reactions
In a fantasy world devoid of FAA/governmental rules and regulations, and without software restrictions, what is the maximum height that a Mavic 2 could achieve starting at sea level?

In a fantasy world devoid of FAA/governmental rules and regulations, and without software restrictions, what is the maximum height that a Mavic 2 could achieve starting at sea level?
6 Pheet, 28.7 point !(&^#@$.) point cubic (doomaflachies) (land based, statumacallit), but....I cannot measure my ***** in km....55.32 km....no problem! multiple enquiries encouraged!!!

MOTOR ON!!!

There has been (still might be) YouTube vids of earlier Mavic flown above 2500m (8000+ft) so no reason to expect you might not realize similar or greater altitude with the M2.
Although impressive, the remote controller in that video called the drone back. My question is "what is the theoretical altitude limit" of these drones, without any restrictions. That video you mention is interesting as he looks up the wind velocities at the altitude he wants to reach, which were 60+mph and yet he makes no other mention of it and takes off. Why didn't the drone get carried away. Also, he fly's with a battery alarm(over current during discharge) during the entire process. WOW.

According to the manual the service ceiling is 6000m (19,700ft).
Six clix...roger roger, what's the vector victor, clearance clarence?
Out

The manual also provides specs for max flight time, transmission range and max ascent speed. All suggest max service ceiling spec to be meaningless to the extent it is beyond what might be reached based on other known performance limits.
Unless you start at 19,300ft.??

Although impressive, the remote controller in that video called the drone back. My question is "what is the theoretical altitude limit" of these drones, without any restrictions. That video you mention is interesting as he looks up the wind velocities at the altitude he wants to reach, which were 60+mph and yet he makes no other mention of it and takes off. Why didn't the drone get carried away. Also, he fly's with a battery alarm(over current during discharge) during the entire process. WOW.

Maximum ascent speed in sport mode is 5 m/s. With that maximum, and at the power consumption rate of a fast climb which will only give around 10 minutes of battery life, that's going to get you up to around 3000 meters. Down is going to be free fall however.

Maximum ascent speed in sport mode is 5 m/s. With that maximum, and at the power consumption rate of a fast climb which will only give around 10 minutes of battery life, that's going to get you up to around 3000 meters. Down is going to be free fall however.
Your getting a bit sloppy SAR- from you I would have expected some compensation for reduced efficiency at altitude ‘-p.

That video? I recall there being several. None that I saw recorded a one way suicide mission ascent. This is a jelly beans in the jar guessing completion with no opportunity to verify the winner.

From the multiple YouTube videos I have seen the max for a safe return is about 8,500 feet. FROM SEA LEVEL.

Rotary aircraft have a ceiling determined by air density the efficiency of their rotors which is, in general, a lot lower than fixed win aircraft. Figures for full size helicopters range from 15K to 25K Feet depending on type. Some are "Specified" which means reality under some conditions will be higher. OTOH under some conditions it will be less.

So if your Mavic 2 takes off at 8,500 feet you probably won't gain another 8,500 of altitude to 17,000 feet. I doubt that an M2 will reach 19K Feet but if some one can take a Mavic 2 up a mountain and try it I would be interested to see the video. The problem at that sort of hight in mountains is the winds and weather. Hardly idea conditions so I won't be donating my M2P for that experiment :) .

My Mavic 2 Pro limits at 500m. Is there any way to make it go higher as I live right next to 10,500' mountains in the foothills at 6,300'. I met a flyer that uses nolimitdronez.com to reset the limits but it is not available for the Mavic 2 Pro. I just want to fly to the top close to the mountain. Is there any way to boost the 500m limit?

Reactions: Emanáku and E90RAW
My Mavic 2 Pro limits at 500m. Is there any way to make it go higher as I live right next to 10,500' mountains in the foothills at 6,300'. I met a flyer that uses nolimitdronez.com to reset the limits but it is not available for the Mavic 2 Pro. I just want to fly to the top close to the mountain. Is there any way to boost the 500m limit?

Take off from within 500m of the summit.
However.... winds around mountains are strong and unpredictable. Most aerial shots around mountains are using helicopters not small drones. Also stong winds take more out of the batteries at the drone tries to stabilise. So do take care as flight times will be a lot shorter..

Last edited:
When I see these "how high can I fly" questions, the one asking doesn't clarify if they mean max service ceiling, or how high from takeoff?
Firmware limits height from takeoff to be 500m. If you're taking off from ocean shore, then the 500m AGL is also MSL for that flight. If on the other hand you are flying in Denver, then the 500m applies relative to takeoff altitude.

I'm pretty sure none of the Mavics will fly at the top of Mt Everest.

My solution with my M2P was selecting a distant point higher up that was tilted toward me that allowed direct line of sight and no degradation in signal strength... checked this at hover over said location. Then landed, wait about 20-30 seconds, but DO NOT POWER OFF ANYTHING. After 20-30 seconds I could TO with the landing point registerred as a new zero altitude. Used this trick to see over the top of Santan Mtn.
Of course that landing is edited out, but it got me above the 2000’ summit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun