DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the simplest way to fly a circle?

lomposlapos

Reactions
Any way to fly the drone in a circle (either camera pointing toward the center or tangentially) by using only the control sticks or other simple and quick method that also works over featureless area?

Doing it in intelligent fly mode is too long and complicated: touch a reference point, set parameters, etc.

I need a simpler, quicker way just to reposition the drone to the desired angle with the sun and other objects affecting a shoot. Sort of like walking around something 360 before deciding from where to take a picture.

Reactions: Gringorio
That's a good tutorial but let can lead to crashes and lost Situational Awareness... just be advised....

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Any way to fly the drone in a circle (either camera pointing toward the center or tangentially) by using only the control sticks or other simple and quick method that also works over featureless area?

Doing it in intelligent fly mode is too long and complicated: touch a reference point, set parameters, etc.

I need a simpler, quicker way just to reposition the drone to the desired angle with the sun and other objects affecting a shoot. Sort of like walking around something 360 before deciding from where to take a picture.
Those are basic stick skills that any pilot should master, as shown in that EXTREMELY LONG video. However, you will never be able to do it as smoothly and accurately as an automatic mode controlled by software. Also as @BigAl07 pointed out, it's a good way to crash your drone. You should be looking at your drone for most of the time when flying. When I teach this maneuver to pilots, it is done in a big open field while looking at the drone the entire time...not the video feed. Admittedly though this method (always looking at the drone) works fine only when you are at the center of the circle and not offset or outside of the circle.

There is no other way? (This is just as disappointing as there is no easy and quick way for constant-speed straight flight.)

youtube.com/watch?v=8SxCfrxlDms&feature=emb_title
How to avoid accidental engine shut-down by inadvertently moving the sticks simultaneously toward the corners? In the setting t think there are 2 options re engine shut-down by sticks (not well documented what is the difference), maybe selecting one over the other?

Unfortunately you have to learn to fly, no other way if you think “Doing it in intelligent fly mode is too long and complicated “
If I have this correct if you set the stop method to emergency only it should only cut the motors in the event of a crash.

stop.JPG

Reactions: Lionfish and Gindra
Intelligent flight mode is out of question for a simple repositioning or exploring of best angle. That mode was designed in mind to go around your car or the like, and works reasonably well for that purpose. It is unpractical for drone repositioning.

Why is it impractical

impossible over open water with nothing floating, for example or too cumbersome and time water to just move the drone 120 degree CCW to figure out the best spot for polarizer.

Last edited:
Just apply constant elevator ( or aileron ) and rudder. That's the basic control. Am I missing something here ? Sorry, there is no "circle" stick or button on the RC, hope that's not too disappointing for you.

Last edited:
Just apply constant elevator ( or aileron ) and rudder. That's the basic control. Am I missing something here ? Sorry, there is no "circle" stick or button on the RC, hope that's not too disappointing for you.

Just to clarify constant "elevator" input will not create a circle but a straight line forward (Elevator to top of control) or backwards (elevator to bottom of control). Yes it's the same control stick as the Elevator but you only want to use left/right (aileron) input and no elevator (up/down) or you will be flying some type of elliptical and not a true circle.

Reactions: Gindra
Perhaps you should re-read my post again ?

Um I read it clearly... I quoted it... your said "Or Aileron" which indicates elevator OR aileron would produce the desired movement which is incorrect.

Elevator input is forward/back movement only. One is not a replacement for the other.

Um I read it clearly... I quoted it... your said "Or Aileron" which indicates elevator OR aileron would produce the desired movement which is incorrect.

Elevator input is forward/back movement only. One is not a replacement for the other.

I meant "elevator + rudder" OR "aileron + rudder". The movement is the same, only the orientation of the craft is different. I have the feeling that you are mixing up the controls of fix-wing aircrafts / helicopters and those of drones.

The Air 2 will do it practically by itself. just draw a box on the screen and orbit with the right stick and change altitude with left. It will even keep the gimbal on target while changing altitude which is the hardest part of the manuever. nothing else to change just draw a box on the screen. Easier to do than explain. It's not at all like using the intelligent flight modes. When you're finished just tap the small x. It's kind of a bummer to find that it does it better than you after all the flights you have spent practicing it.

Reactions: Pushkur and BigAl07
I meant "elevator + rudder" OR "aileron + rudder". The movement is the same, only the orientation of the craft is different. I have the feeling that you are mixing up the controls of fix-wing aircrafts / helicopters and those of drones.

The OP is wanting to fly in a circle either nose IN or nose OUT. This is referenced via the very first post on this thread:

Any way to fly the drone in a circle (either camera pointing toward the center or tangentially)

Using the elevator input (right stick forward or back) will not slide the aircraft sideways to be able to perform the needed action. Applying elevator movement will move the aircraft forward or backward with no side to side movement. Much like drive an R/C car/truck. Up = forward movement and Down = backwards movement. Adding Rudder (Yaw) input only changes the forward/backward track.

With all due respect, I have over 4 decades of sUAS experience and still fly and teach my

I use orbit mode all the time for PERFECT circles..
Set the parameters and let it go, I’m never out of vlos and NOT in center of circle...
I’m using a mavic pro and working the camera while it auto makes the PERFECT CIRCLE with
NEVER any risk of crash cause I paid attention when I set parameters...

I alway do an orbit manually. I can keep the object exactly where I want it in the frame.
Of course you do need to practice you Airmanship to do this.
After a bit of practice you can look up at the AC as well.
Actually kind of fun plus once you learn 2 stick maneuvers you can use them at other times as will.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom