DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is this?

Chad80

Reactions
I'm possibly buying a Inspire 1 and included in the package is this item. It's listed as a Zenmuse Pro Gimbal but I can see DJI on the case so I wasn't sure. I know it's a gimbal hand held similar to an Osmo but I didn't think it was that. I was told I could attach the X5 onto it.

Also I was just curious that if I didn't end up needing it what would be the used resale value approx?

Thanks for any help.
541d903d12e2f261877007d5023cf8a0.jpg

I'm possibly buying a Inspire 1 and included in the package is this item. It's listed as a Zenmuse Pro Gimbal but I can see DJI on the case so I wasn't sure. I know it's a gimbal hand held similar to an Osmo but I didn't think it was that. I was told I could attach the X5 onto it.

Also I was just curious that if I didn't end up needing it what would be the used resale value approx?

Thanks for any help.
541d903d12e2f261877007d5023cf8a0.jpg
It’s an Osmo Pro.

It uses the camera from the I1 to turn it into a handheld gimbal. You also have the follow focus for the which is nice.

The problem is you need the camera for the i1 presumably so what value the device has without the camera is hard to say since they usually come with the camera and the camera by itself is by far more valuable. You’d need to find somebody who has the camera already which might be tough.

When you look at the asking prices for Osmo Pros that include the camera and the lens and then subtract the asking price for just the camera and the lens you aren’t left with much.

Reactions: Droniac
It’s an Osmo Pro.

It uses the camera from the I1 to turn it into a handheld gimbal. You also have the follow focus for the which is nice.

The problem is you need the camera for the i1 presumably so what value the device has without the camera is hard to say since they usually come with the camera and the camera by itself is by far more valuable. You’d need to find somebody who has the camera already which might be tough.

When you look at the asking prices for Osmo Pros that include the camera and the lens and then subtract the asking price for just the camera and the lens you aren’t left with much.
Thank you, it gives me a better idea on if the package is worth the price or not. If I did use the X5 on it, is it a viable product to use for interior shots? I was think for maybe Real Estate stills.

Thanks

Thank you, it gives me a better idea on if the package is worth the price or not. If I did use the X5 on it, is it a viable product to use for interior shots? I was think for maybe Real Estate stills.

Thanks
It will work but the X5 has poor ISO performance, low light performance, and has poor dynamic range compared to normal ground based cameras. Also the stock lens is a 30mm equivalent which is pretty narrow angle for Real Estate. You can get other wider lenses for it though.

As a drone camera it is decent because outdoors there’s plenty of light that you can always keep it at 100 ISO.

From someone that has an Inspire 1 and an Inspire 2 I would say that unless you are using the Inspire 1 with the X5R or Inspire 2 with the x5s to take RAW video the inspire series isn’t worth the hassle especially the Inspire 1.

I guarantee you are underestimating how large and heavy the Inspire is. It comes in a case that is as large or larger than a full size suitcase that you’d have to check on the plane and with multiple batteries it can be extremely heavy. I only take it out for high paying jobs that require the RAW video. It’s just too much work to get the thing in and out of my house

There’s a crisis right now for I1 owners because it is impossible to find new batteries for it. People on the Inspire forum are willing to buy old dead ones from people so they can repack the cells due to new ones being unavailable.

For photos the Mavic 2 Pro easily outclasses the X5 even with a much smaller sensor. Of course the I spire has interchangeable lenses so it has that going for it. Video is about the same from the M2Pro and X5. Now the X5R, X5S, and X7 are in definitely better than the M2Pro but only worth the hassle if you plan to shoot RAW video. Otherwise just get an M2Pro or Mavic Air 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac and Meta4
Thank you for the information! I am going to do Real Estate and events on the side but my main focus will be mapping. I would love the Inspire 2 but I think it's out of my price range, my other thought was the Evo 2 Pro 6K.

Thank you for the information! I am going to do Real Estate and events on the side but my main focus will be mapping. I would love the Inspire 2 but I think it's out of my price range, my other thought was the Evo 2 Pro 6K.
Yea the Phantom 4 RTK would be a much better system for mapping at a lower cost and footprint. It takes nice photos and video too just not as portable as the Mavics.

The Evo2 Pro has a 20MP 1” sensor with electronic shutter. I’m not at all convinced that larger sensors produce better mapping results at all but higher resolution cameras certainly do so I would think the 48MP sensor on the Mavic Air 2 would be much better for mapping, is widely considered a better aircraft, is smaller, and costs half of what the Evo2 costs.

For mapping I personally would rank them as:
Phantom 4 Pro RTK (clear winner by a lot)
Phantom 4 Pro V2/Mavic Air 2*
Mavic 2 Pro
Evo2 Pro

*The Phantom 4 Pro and the Mavic Air 2 both have features the other doesn’t that are very helpful for mapping. The P4PV2 has a mechanical shutter and the Mavic Air 2 has the higher resolution sensor. Not sure which is better for mapping but my guess is the mechanical shutter would be better. However, the MA2 beats it in every other category besides video so it’s a toss up.

For mapping, the best drone would be a Phantom 4 pro (either model) and the Mavic 2 pro for 2nd choice.
The inspire won't do anything any better but would be a beast to lug around, have a significantly shorter flight time and the battery problem mentioned above.

the Mavic Air 2 has the higher resolution sensor. Not sure which is better for mapping but my guess is the mechanical shutter would be better. However, the MA2 beats it in every other category besides video so it’s a toss up.
The problem with the Air 2 (for mapping) is that it still isn't supported by the mapping apps like DroneDeploy.

And I haven't tried it for mapping but since the 48 MP images aren't significantly better than it's 12 MP images, I suspect it's 48 MP resolution isn't really going to be the big advantage you would expect.

The problem with the Air 2 (for mapping) is that it still isn't supported by the mapping apps like DroneDeploy.

And I haven't tried it for mapping but since the 48 MP images aren't significantly better than it's 12 MP images, I suspect it's 48 MP resolution isn't really going to be the big advantage you would expect.
Very true about the SDK.

The 12 MP images from the Mavic Air 2 are oversampled from the 48 MP sensor so the 12 MP images are much better than a normal 12MP image. It isn’t fair nor makes sense to compare the 48 MP images from the MA2 to the 12 MP images from the MA2 and say the 48 MP sensor isn’t beneficial. In both cases you are using a 48 MP sensor.

Hi Chad. You've got some excellent responses above - not least Brett's detailed one.

We only fly for work. We initially ruled out the Inspire 1, but the Inspire 2 is excellent. But it is a huge package to carry about and expensive for what you'll be doing. We chose the Phantom 4 Pro Plus instead - and the above suggestion of a P4P V2 is what I'd strongly suggest. It fits into a dedicated backpack and will deliver everything you need - and for a reasonable cost.

All very good points. I have made well over 100 maps of various sizes using an Inspire 1, Inspire 2 with X4s cameras (mechanical shutter and identical camera to the Phantom 4 Pro and RTK cameras). Also with a Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro 2.
Best results with the Inspire 2. I have not used a Phantom 4, but assume it would be similar to the X4s.
The I2 is an exceptional machine, super durable, will fly in serious wind, is easier to keep the required “eyes on” at a greater distance and has interchangeable cameras. It is very heavy with batteries, expensive and noisy (relative to the other units I mentioned.)
The I 1 creates fine maps with an X3 camera, but is not nearly the platform of the I 2.
You mentioned you were also doing real estate work. The I2 will attract the unwanted attention of all the neighbors, and be tougher to fly among trees and has less obstacle avoidance features than the Mavic series (not sure about the Phantoms). Also when (not if) you have an “oopsie”, the I 2 will cost more to repair, insure, and create more collateral damage than a lighter machine.
Suggestion: dip your toe in before taking the deep dive. Best of luck.

Wow thank you all for this info. There are a lot of good points and I have ruled out the I1 mainly due to the battery issue and it being older. So now I'm between the Mavic 2 Pro (possibly M2ED), Evo 2 Pro and the Inspire 2. I know the I2 is the best of them but cost more and is larger/heavier.

I will do the Real Estate as it comes in but I will focus on Mapping and Inspections. Should I go with the Mavic/Evo or save some more and get the I2?

Thanks,
Chad

Wow thank you all for this info. There are a lot of good points and I have ruled out the I1 mainly due to the battery issue and it being older. So now I'm between the Mavic 2 Pro (possibly M2ED), Evo 2 Pro and the Inspire 2. I know the I2 is the best of them but cost more and is larger/heavier.

I will do the Real Estate as it comes in but I will focus on Mapping and Inspections. Should I go with the Mavic/Evo or save some more and get the I2?

Thanks,
Chad
Again the Inspire 2 is primarily a Cinema drone. It is designed with the primary purpose of being used on movie and broadcast television sets. It’s premier feature is being able to record video in ProRes and cDNG (RAW) formats. You do not need this for mapping nor is it beneficial in any way for mapping.

You are looking at $6,000-$8,000 for the realistic bare minimum with 3 battery changes for an Inspire 2 and it won’t produce any better results than the $2000 Mavic 2 Pro with fly more combo. If I were you there’s no way I’d pay $6k -$8k for what you are looking to do without RTK capability.

The benefit the Inspire does have is the ability to put on zoom lenses for inspections but you could get a Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom for less than an Inspire 2 and share batteries between them.

If you want a big professional grade drone for inspections and mapping consider the Matrice 200 v2 or Matrice 210. This the mapping and inspection equivalent to the Inspire inspire series. It has all the benefits the Inspire 2 has for your purposes but also has other payload options like thermal and RTK.

Otherwise just got with the Mavic.

Again the Inspire 2 is primarily a Cinema drone. It is designed with the primary purpose of being used on movie and broadcast television sets. It’s premier feature is being able to record video in ProRes and cDNG (RAW) formats. You do not need this for mapping nor is it beneficial in any way for mapping.

You are looking at $6,000-$8,000 for the realistic bare minimum with 3 battery changes for an Inspire 2 and it won’t produce any better results than the $2000 Mavic 2 Pro with fly more combo. If I were you there’s no way I’d pay $6k -$8k for what you are looking to do without RTK capability.

The benefit the Inspire does have is the ability to put on zoom lenses for inspections but you could get a Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom for less than an Inspire 2 and share batteries between them.

If you want a big professional grade drone for inspections and mapping consider the Matrice 200 v2 or Matrice 210. This the mapping and inspection equivalent to the Inspire inspire series. It has all the benefits the Inspire 2 has for your purposes but also has other payload options like thermal and RTK.

Otherwise just got with the Mavic.
Thanks Brett, I appreciate you telling me that about the I2. I'm going to have to start with a M2P or Evo 2 and eventually work my way up to a M200/210. I had an opportunity to get a M100 but from what I read they are developers drone and not really made for why I would want out of it.

Which would you go with then, Evo 2 or M2P? Would the M2ED be a better choice having the thermals which I know are good for inspections. I do understand that it's not on par with say the XT for example but would it do enough or not worth getting?

@Chad80 another aircraft I always forget about is the Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced. That’s probably the one I would recommend that checks all the boxes you are looking for. It has a thermal camera as well as a visual camera that uses the same 48 MP sensor from the Mavic Air 2. It also has RTK and comes with a smart controller all in a small Mavic sized package.

Thanks Brett, I appreciate you telling me that about the I2. I'm going to have to start with a M2P or Evo 2 and eventually work my way up to a M200/210. I had an opportunity to get a M100 but from what I read they are developers drone and not really made for why I would want out of it.

Which would you go with then, Evo 2 or M2P? Would the M2ED be a better choice having the thermals which I know are good for inspections. I do understand that it's not on par with say the XT for example but would it do enough or not worth getting?
The regular Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual has a thermal camera that is basically useless and adds almost zero value, does not have RTK, and has a low resolution visual camera. It’s almost good at nothing.

The M2E Advanced on the other hand has a much much better thermal camera, one that is on par with the XT.

I would not recommend the M2ED but would recommend the M2E Advanced. That’s the perfect drone for you in my opinion if you can handle the price. Otherwise do the Mavic 2 Pro. There was lots of fanfare around the Evo2 series but once it actually became available it was clear it didn’t live up to the hype or specs. They may have fixed some of the issues by now but once the Mavic Air 2 came out you hear basically nothing about the Evo 2 series.

Last edited:
The regular Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual has a thermal camera that is basically useless and adds almost zero value, does not have RTK, and has a low resolution visual camera. It’s almost good at nothing.

The M2E Advanced on the other hand has a much much better thermal camera, one that is on par with the XT.

I would not recommend the M2ED but would recommend the M2E Advanced. That’s the perfect drone for you in my opinion if you can handle the price. Otherwise do the Mavic 2 Pro. There was lots of fanfare around the Evo2 series but once it actually became available it was clear it didn’t live up to the hype or specs. They may have fixed some of the issues by now but once the Mavic Air 2 came out you hear basically nothing about the Evo 2 series.

I was just reading up on the M2EA and you are absolutely right- it's the perfect drone for me since the thermal had been upgraded to 640x512 30hz which is a big difference from the 9hx on the regular one and your right, they mentioned it was on par with the XT. On top of that adding the RTK puts it over the top IMO.

Unfortunately the price is what is killing it for me, it looks like I will just have to wait on it until I can afford it.

I was just reading up on the M2EA and you are absolutely right- it's the perfect drone for me since the thermal had been upgraded to 640x512 30hz which is a big difference from the 9hx on the regular one and your right, they mentioned it was on par with the XT. On top of that adding the RTK puts it over the top IMO.

Unfortunately the price is what is killing it for me, it looks like I will just have to wait on it until I can afford it.
Do you have a drone already? You really don’t have to have all that. If you can afford it great but if not I would just get something you can afford.

Having a M2Pro will still allow you do mapping and inspections. It also is also better for video. Once your business takes off THEN you could look at getting a more advanced model. At that point you’ll also have a back up.

I have the Inspire 2 but I always take my trusty Mavic Pro with me to every job because there are times I don’t want to risk the Inspire or for back up purposes. It’s always good to have an extra.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas