DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What LUT to merge with goPro

jpblcm

Reactions
Hello all,
I'm a video producer (only 4k) and I use 5 goPro for inside cars, motorbikes, boats... ground images from classical video camera (no dslr) and aerial footages (from MPP to P4v2p, most rarely Inspire). As color correction is now a big stage in the video production workflow, I shoot in flat mode on goPro and D-Log on drones. I merge images from a Sony pxwx70-4K licensed and a BMD Ursa mini 4k.
I'm not satisfied with the LUT I use, even the color corrections I do myself to really level all my chroma are time consuming.
There are so many LUT available. Have you an advice to share ?
Thanx

Hello all,
I'm a video producer (only 4k) and I use 5 goPro for inside cars, motorbikes, boats... ground images from classical video camera (no dslr) and aerial footages (from MPP to P4v2p, most rarely Inspire). As color correction is now a big stage in the video production workflow, I shoot in flat mode on goPro and D-Log on drones. I merge images from a Sony pxwx70-4K licensed and a BMD Ursa mini 4k.
I'm not satisfied with the LUT I use, even the color corrections I do myself to really level all my chroma are time consuming.
There are so many LUT available. Have you an advice to share ?
Thanx
Just so we understand your goal is to make the video from the various sources appear approximately the same?

If so my best advice would be to use the camera specific LUTs to convert the flat profiles to a standard Rec. 709 color space and then use a the same creative LUT on all the video to get a consistent as possible look.

If the various cameras are all shooting the same scene in a multi camera set up you can then use your NLE (Editing software) to do a color match on the all the video that covers the same scene.

This still isn’t perfect so it will likely require some additional tweaking on every shot.

If the various cameras are shooting different scenes at different times then you won’t need to do a color match as the color for different places and even different times of day are expected to look different by the viewer.

If you are just asking for a creative LUT to be your personal “look” then there are so many different LUTs to choose from and it’s such a personal preference and creative decision I wouldn’t know where to start.

I do have a trick I use to get the look I want that may be helpful. The first thing I do when starting a new project is find a frame from the video I like and apply the camera specific LUT and then export the frame as a tiff file and import it into Photoshop. Change photoshop image settings to be 8 bit and then make the exported frame layer a background layer by going to layer>make background from layer.

I then apply image corrections with photoshop till I get the look I want. I then go to file>export look up table and save the LUT from photoshop. I then apply the LUT produced with photoshop to my footage in my NLE(editing software.) I just find the controls in Photoshop to be better than any NLE I have come across so far. Note you can use photoshop to edit video but it applies separate corrections for ever single frame and takes forever to render. Basically not worth it especially in 4k

Thanx for your quick answer Brett
Yes I use at least go pro/drone - or goPro/Camera in the same time, or all of them for the same action. I'm using mostly the REC 709 color space because of its usability on classical cameras.
I'll try you photoshop tip, good and smart trick !
the problem about LUT is that they deeply change the feeling of an image, just like Lightroom does and the problem is that is it so easy to magnify a step too far. I want to stay close to the sensation the scene gives and as I can, color reality.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest