DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What major things should I do or steer clear of either flying or buying for my MavicAir?

The gimbal is supposed to be good but if you slide left and right the tilt and gimbal isnt enough to justify - it will still tilt - the MP is a better drone - longer flight time, just as small, and can prob withstand higher wind due to its weight - you will find lots of stuff in YouTube to sway you.

The gimbal is supposed to be good but if you slide left and right the tilt and gimbal isnt enough to justify - it will still tilt - the MP is a better drone - longer flight time, just as small, and can prob withstand higher wind due to its weight - you will find lots of stuff in YouTube to sway you.
The MP is a good bit bigger than the Mavic Air - its not huge, but depending on your intended use, the Air could be a lot more convenient (it is for me). The camera, I believe, is basically the same. If you're backpacking, or traveling by air, the MA is less of a hassle.

Downside to the Air is that it is a good bit louder. And yes, the gimbal will tilt if you're flying sideways in sport mode and exceed the travel distance allowance, but at least for me, that's never been a limitation. And you get a few minutes more of flight time per battery with the MP.

Personally, the size of the Air made it a better choice than the MP for me. Now, if you were to compare it to a Mavic 2 Pro, which is definitely a significantly better drone, the better camera and other capabilities probably outweigh the size and weight disparity, although I returned my M2P for an Air because of how much more compact the Air was.

Congrats on the Mavic Air, you should get a lot of pleasure using it.
It's not the best all around, but it's probably the best little drone on the market with the best video.

I'd highly recommend MasterScrew Props. Once you set the gains as recommended, they fly better and "a lot" less high pitch scream! Probably the nicest improvement for the MA.

Owning all Mavic's the M2P/Z are a great improvement for Mavic, but the MP & MA still have a strong presence. I'd agree that the MP is better in Sport mode due to the gimbal design & movement.
If you're shopping for a 2nd Mavic... and can find a used M2P/Z, I'd suggest that over a MP.

Most video will probably be shot in normal mode or sport with not so aggressive movements.
The Camera of the MA is an improvement over the MP and that is probably it's biggest advantage.
The 2nd advantage is a smaller package to transport... it's quite a bit smaller than the MP when folded.
One of the biggest negaitives on MA was the Radio & WiFi... but you'll still get ample distance, over not a problem.

The Camera Sensor on the MP & MA are the same size but the MA produces much better results.
Here's pretty open comparison by a reputable source - Cinima5D.

Last edited:
It's not the best all around, but it's probably the best little drone on the market with the best video.

I'd highly recommend MasterScrew Props. Once you set the gains as recommended, they fly better and "a lot" less high pitch scream! Probably the nicest improvement for the MA.

Owning all Mavic's the M2P/Z are a great improvement for Mavic, but the MP & MA still have a strong presence. I'd agree that the MP is better in Sport mode due to the gimbal design & movement.
If you're shopping for a 2nd Mavic... and can find a used M2P/Z, I'd suggest that over a MP.

Most video will probably be shot in normal mode or sport with not so aggressive movements.
The Camera of the MA is an improvement over the MP and that is probably it's biggest advantage.
The 2nd advantage is a smaller package to transport... it's quite a bit smaller than the MP when folded.
One of the biggest negaitives on MA was the Radio & WiFi... but you'll still get ample distance, over not a problem.

The Camera Sensor on the MP & MA are the same size but the MA produces much better results.

Thanks for that ? Lots of good info here!

Reactions: JamesD71

Are these carbon?

Hello bro, sorry to jump steal a thread. But I have a question regarding whether to use normal mode or cinematic mode when filming videos most of the time, as you said most video will probably be shot in normal mode, assuming I have set and change the appropriate "cinematic" settings for normal mode, gimbal settings, yaw, etc, would you say it's best to film in Normal Mode ? Or go for Cinematic Mode ?

Are these carbon?
No, a form of plastic similar to DJI props. It’s the shape of blade that reduces the noise so much. These are actually gen2 version, after a year they slightly improved Gen1 to make Gen2. MasterScrew are very reliable company and provide a real improvement.

If you get, pay attention to the little guide included to set a few gains slightly different.

Keep in mind, they reduce... they don’t eliminate the noise. The MA still make noise, just not the obnoxious scream that makes every body look up so quickly. If you’re up above 100 ft and making gentle movements, it’s not very noticeable compared to OEM.

The good carbon, like for Inspire aren’t available and start at $140 minimum.

Last edited:
Hello bro, sorry to jump steal a thread. But I have a question regarding whether to use normal mode or cinematic mode when filming videos most of the time, as you said most video will probably be shot in normal mode, assuming I have set and change the appropriate "cinematic" settings for normal mode, gimbal settings, yaw, etc, would you say it's best to film in Normal Mode ? Or go for Cinematic Mode ?
Actually depends on what you’re after... if you’re grabbing a scenic site to simple record, or it’s a site with movement... the faster movement of normal works better.

If seeking the smoothest production, no apparent dips, blocky turns, etc. then cinematic is the option.
The Cinematic does not change camera settings... you can adjust those as desired. The mode was made to optimize film recording by 1) Braking behavior... longer gentle, 2) Yaw, gently turns body to smooth out the turn.

Here’s a quick link on cinematic....

I would say def. buy the following in this order:

1. Legs
2. Landing pad
3. Filters (less important to me, but must haves needed for others)

I'm assuming you already have:

1. Fly more bundle (or equivalent) ie batteries, controller, cables
2. Carrying case
3. Extra props

No, a form of plastic similar to DJI props. It’s the shape of blade that reduces the noise so much. These are actually gen2 version, after a year they slightly improved Gen1 to make Gen2. MasterScrew are very reliable company and provide a real improvement.

If you get, pay attention to the little guide included to set a few gains slightly different.

Keep in mind, the reduce... they don’t eliminate the noise. The MA still make noise, just not the obnoxious scream that makes every body look up so quickly. If you’re up above 100 ft and making gentle movements, it’s not very noticeable compared to OEM.

The good carbon, like for Inspire aren’t available and start at $140 minimum.

Thanks again! Based on your recommendation (and a bit of research) i'm getting a set of these in the post! Thumbswayup

I would say def. buy the following in this order:

1. Legs
2. Landing pad
3. Filters (less important to me, but must haves needed for others)

I'm assuming you already have:

1. Fly more bundle (or equivalent) ie batteries, controller, cables
2. Carrying case
3. Extra props

Thanks! I haven't looked at legs yet - Can you link me?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser